Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices

arbela

Starting to get Involved
Hi all.
Does anyone know if using IPA 70% for cleaning a plastic, non-implantable device assembled in a class 8 clean room, a good enough? that is, can it remove dirt to a sufficient level that will allow sterilizing it, or should ultrasonic cleaning be applied? if there are any standards or guidances regarding cleaning of plastics, i would also appreciate references.
thank you :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

JoshuaFroud

Involved In Discussions
Hi Arbela

I do not have much experience working with Clean rooms, however, I would suggest a question like that is only going to be able to be answered by some R&D/Validation work.

A 70% IPA solution may well be suitable but without the validation/verification work to demonstrate this, it will be hard/impossible to justify why the choice was made.

The background to why the selection was made and supporting evidence is almost more important than the final choice made (assuming the selection is fit for purpose).

Last edited:

arbela

Starting to get Involved
thank you Joshua - that was precisely the point of my question. I do actually have experience both with plastics cleaning and with clean rooms, however cleaning processes I used previously involved more extensive cleaning than just IPA and I was wondering if others had experience or scientific-based knowledge that in some cases IPA would suffice. I prefer to know up front rather than enter a long and expensive process validation only to find out that it doesn't work...
so, if there's anybody out there...

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have used IPA in cleaning new sterilization trays prior to shipping to the customer in a non-clean room atmosphere. I was always acceptable to our customers - orthopedic mostly.
We did not use ultrasonic cleaning.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Hi, In principle yes, IPA should be suitable and is commonly used; I have done so on numerous devices. IPA is only considered a low-level disinfectant, so will only give a few log reduction in bioburden. You should look at your bioburden before and after cleaning and if you are relying on the IPA, perform suitable validation.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
If you are going for Gamma and using VDmax25, the bioburden should be below 1000cfu, for VDmax15 is has to be below 1.5cfu. If you are higher than this, you have to use another method. There are no set limits for EtO, but you need to track it over time and show it is stable.

Other than reducing bioburden, IPA shouldn't have any interaction with the sterilisation method.

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
We use 70 % IPA / 30 % water mixture to clean our equipment ( EOAT / Molds) before doing swab. We've been doing this for quiet sometimes and no issue with it

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John Broomfield Cleaning plastic from our oceans - The Ocean Cleanup Venture Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 23
D Cleanroom Cleaning Products and Storage Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
A Reprocessing, Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization Validation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R 510(k) Biocompatibility vs Cleaning Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Cleaning Process after laser marking on orthopaedic implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
E Labware cleaning validation protocol example Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Production Line Pump Cleaning Validation Method Question Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
S ISO 7 and 8 Clean Room Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I Material for PUW used to cleaning Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Implantable medical device cleaning validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Looking for ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Cleaning Procedure example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Cleaning and Disinfection Validation Sample Size of 3? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
O Cleaning API Rotary Shoulder Connections Working Mates exposed to Outside Weather General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Cleaning validation for Molding Tools? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
E Cleaning Validations for Reusable Products - ANSI/AAMI TIR30:2011 Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Small Cast Iron Part Cleaning Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Cleaning Fluids and RoHS2 Declaration Requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
A Cleaning of Medical Device Storage Areas ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Using Ozone as a Cleaning Agent in Purified Water Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Best Practices in the Control of Cleaning Materials Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
W Production Equipment Cleaning Protocol Example Needed Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
V Standard for Cleaning and Washing Metal Stampings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Cleaning instructions for our non sterile, single use products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
W Cleanroom Cleaning Agents for cleaning a Class 7 Cleanroom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
G ISO 17664 Reusable Low Risk Medical Device Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B Isopropyl Alcohol cleaning of Peek Optima ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Seeking information on use of Byotrol Cleaning Chemicals in Pharma Industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Glass Bead Blast Cleaning Spec TT-C-490 Rev D Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
L Can I produce Cosmetics and Household Cleaning Products in the same Facility? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
L Nutritional, Cosmetics and Cleaning Products in Same Facility Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
G Sampling Plan - Sample Size Justification for a Bottling Cleaning Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Cleaning Resuable Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
I Cleaning Validation for Durapore Tape Cutting Machine EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Cleaning Validation Protocols for a Pharmaceutical Company Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Using 93 % alcohol for cleaning Printer Head Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
E Ultrasonic Cleaning of Orthopedic Implants - Detergents and Frequency - How? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Sidney Vianna Cleaning up the Global Compact: Dealing with Corporate Free Riders Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
M Cleaning of Orthopaedic Implants before Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Demineralized (DM) Water Specifications - Cleaning Orthopaedic Implants Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
F Airport Internal Audit Checklist (Cleaning, Project Process, Maintenance, etc) Internal Auditing 3
S Cleaning Validation NOEL and MACO - Non Human Products Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Equipment for Cleaning various materials over a Wide Area Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I Validation of Ultrasonic Cleaning Process for Basic Tools & Buffing Compound ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Cleaning Industry Management Standard (CIMS) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4