Cleaning validation for Molding Tools?

R

rina120

Hello,
I am tasked with finding out how to "validate" the cleaning process that we use for our molds.
We use a combination of mineral spirits, acetone, etc combined with manual disassembly of some components.

How far do we need to go to ensure the cleaning process is validated?

There is no cleaning step downstream, but there is terminal sterilization.

Thanks so much in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hello,
I am tasked with finding out how to "validate" the cleaning process that we use for our molds.
We use a combination of mineral spirits, acetone, etc combined with manual disassembly of some components.

How far do we need to go to ensure the cleaning process is validated?

There is no cleaning step downstream, but there is terminal sterilization.

Thanks so much in advance!
Start off with a risk analysis.

What's the purpose of the cleaning? What are you trying to remove? What level of absence (for each potential contaminant) would constitute a "Clean" state for your needs? What might be the consequences in case of failing to achieve that?

Once you know what to look for, and how prudent you need to be, you'll know how to test it and how to validate it.

I don't think that the sterility aspect is too relevant - most viable contaminants would become nonviable during molding (>>100degC). I'd expect most of your concerns to be related to nonviable contaminants staying on or in the molded part. Also, don't forget to address potential residues from the cleaning materials themselves.

All the best.
Ronen.

R

rina120

Thanks Ronen for your reply!
So it seems I should still apply the principles from Drug product.

Thanks again

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Reprocessing, Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization Validation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R 510(k) Biocompatibility vs Cleaning Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
E Labware cleaning validation protocol example Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P Production Line Pump Cleaning Validation Method Question Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
I Implantable medical device cleaning validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P Cleaning and Disinfection Validation Sample Size of 3? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
G Sampling Plan - Sample Size Justification for a Bottling Cleaning Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
I Cleaning Validation for Durapore Tape Cutting Machine EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Cleaning Validation Protocols for a Pharmaceutical Company Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Cleaning Validation NOEL and MACO - Non Human Products Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
I Validation of Ultrasonic Cleaning Process for Basic Tools & Buffing Compound ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Cleaning Validation for PC Boards (PCBs) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Cleaning Validation Plans, Sampling, etc - Allergens in Food Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Equipment Cleaning Validation Requirements - Medical Device Class II or Class III Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
R Microbiological Cleaning Validation of Tablet Press Machine Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
R Swab, Rinse and Visual Cleaning Validation Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
R Cleaning Validation Protocol in a Cosmetic company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Y Cleaning standards for Medical Devices - Implants - Cleaning Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
E Tablet De-Duster Cleaning Validation Protocol Help Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Cleaning Protocol Validation - Do we also have to specify the level of cleaning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D Cleanroom Cleaning Products and Storage Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
M Cleaning Process after laser marking on orthopaedic implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
John Broomfield Cleaning plastic from our oceans - The Ocean Cleanup Venture Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 31
A Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S ISO 7 and 8 Clean Room Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I Material for PUW used to cleaning Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S Looking for ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Cleaning Procedure example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
O Cleaning API Rotary Shoulder Connections Working Mates exposed to Outside Weather General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
E Cleaning Validations for Reusable Products - ANSI/AAMI TIR30:2011 Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Small Cast Iron Part Cleaning Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Cleaning Fluids and RoHS2 Declaration Requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
A Cleaning of Medical Device Storage Areas ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Using Ozone as a Cleaning Agent in Purified Water Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Best Practices in the Control of Cleaning Materials Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
W Production Equipment Cleaning Protocol Example Needed Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
V Standard for Cleaning and Washing Metal Stampings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Cleaning instructions for our non sterile, single use products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
W Cleanroom Cleaning Agents for cleaning a Class 7 Cleanroom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
G ISO 17664 Reusable Low Risk Medical Device Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B Isopropyl Alcohol cleaning of Peek Optima ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Seeking information on use of Byotrol Cleaning Chemicals in Pharma Industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Glass Bead Blast Cleaning Spec TT-C-490 Rev D Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
L Can I produce Cosmetics and Household Cleaning Products in the same Facility? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4