Cleanliness/Bioburden for Non-Sterile Gas Path Medical Devices

Does anybody know what are the requirements for acceptable cleanliness/bioburden on a medical device that is not sterile? The device in question is a breathing tube for a ventilator that does not need to be sterile. My understanding is that I need to determine the cleanliness level in the risk analysis and then create a spec but I am not sure if there are any standards or guidance for the required cleanliness level. How do I go about what level of clean/bioburden is acceptable? Your feedback is much appreciated!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Does anybody know what are the requirements for acceptable cleanliness/bioburden on a medical device that is not sterile? The device in question is a breathing tube for a ventilator that does not need to be sterile. My understanding is that I need to determine the cleanliness level in the risk analysis and then create a spec but I am not sure if there are any standards or guidance for the required cleanliness level. How do I go about what level of clean/bioburden is acceptable? Your feedback is much appreciated!
Hello and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

This is essentially a question for your clinical advisors. Another option would be looking into ventilators-specific standards (unfortunately I can't be more specific off the top of my head).

Cheers,
Ronen.

SteveK

Trusted Information Resource
Now that the ISO 18562 series of standards have now been published, I suppose all companies who supply the relevant products will have to start searching for test houses to comply. More expense, assuming there are such places considering these new standards were only published 31st of March this year. Obviously CD, DIS, FDIS etc. copies have been around for a while.

Steve

SteveK

Interestingly I checked with UKAS whether anybody (at least in the UK) was accredited (ISO 17025) to conduct the tests in ISO 18562 - and nobody is!

Steve

SteveK

Further info.

I did find a place (not in the UK) who can do testing to ISO 18562-2 (particles) and 18562-3 (VOC).They supplied a quote for testing one product, that came to nineteen thousand dollars. Now if I broke all our products down to the least number of variants, I reckon the overall test bill would not leave us with much change out of quarter of a million dollars!

Steve

I did have to do a 'particles' test some years ago. Could not find any test house with that test as part of their 'Scope'.

But the test was based upon a pharmaceutical test and I was able to find a pharma test house who, once I had provided the test details were able to conduct the test.

The NB did bring this up during Design Examination, but let it go in the end.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D ISO: 13485:2016 Sec. 7.5.2 (C) - Requirements for cleanliness of product or contamination control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D CMM Room cleanliness requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
M Interesting Discussion Surface Cleanliness Real Time Test Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Cleanliness and Contamination question (Medical Device Component Manufacturer) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
GURU SDI Cleanliness Requirements for Initial Samples Customer Complaints 4
M Orthopedic Devices and Implants Manufacturing Cleanliness Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S The Right Cleanliness Test Standard for Coolers and Radiators Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J ISO 13485:2003 Section 7.5.1.2.1 Cleanliness of Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Cleanliness Requirements for Raw Materials Used in a Controlled Environment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Millipore Testing & Component Cleanliness Management Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C ISO 13485 Clause 7.5.1.2.1 Cleanliness of Product and Contamination Control Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B ISO 13485 7.5.1.2.1 Cleanliness and Contamination of Product Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Cleanliness of Product & Service and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Cleanliness Specifications that apply to non-sterile medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J Can "7.5.1.2 cleanliness of product and contamination control" be non-applicable? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Dyne Pen Testing for cleanliness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S What is ISO 16232? Road vehicles - Cleanliness IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Millipore Cleanliness Test Experiences Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
ScottK Service Media - Definition in NASA KSC-C-123H - Surface Cleanliness for Fluid Systems Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
D Tube Cleanliness Level - 10 microns nominal - New Customer Requirement Career and Occupation Discussions 3
J Cleanliness of Manufacturing Area for Orthopedic Devices and Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Q Production on Plastics Drums - Process Flow and Maintaining Cleanliness Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Ford Cleanliness Testing Specification ES-XXXX-6B616-AA for Valvetrain Components Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
R Definition Cleanliness standard - What is? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
I Assembly Work Surface Cleanliness - Plastic Table Tops and Embedded Metal Chips Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A 7.5.1.2.1 Cleanliness of Product and Contamination Control - Service Provider Service Industry Specific Topics 2
M Definition Cleanliness - TS 16949:2002 Clause 6.4.2 - Cleanliness Of Premises - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A ISO 11135:2014, B.1.4, BI resistance x product bioburden ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Sterility and BioBurden Testing for Plastics ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Sterility and Bioburden Testing - LAL passed under 0.5EU/mL Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
B Radiation Sterilization Dose Audit: Bioburden frequency Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
F Bioburden Testing requirements for Non-Sterile Dental Products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
N Must Bioburden Sampling Procedures be Documented? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
R Simulated product for bioburden testing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
C What is the most appropriate Bioburden Test Method for Surgical Gloves ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Bioburden numbers and ECA gloves 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Bioburden testing for Class 10000 (Grade C) clean room ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
O Bioburden Testing - Non Sterile Product / Tapes - ISO 11737-1 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
P Serial Testing of Bioburden for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Biological Monitoring Program Environmental Bioburden Test Method Needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C What is an acceptable bioburden level or count when working in cleanroom ISO class7 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Frequency of Bioburden Testing EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B BioBurden and EndoToxin Questions Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
M Sterility Testing vs Bioburden Testing - Differences Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
S Bioburden Monitoring Sample Size Increase ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Bioburden and Endotoxin (LAL) Testing proposal help 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2