Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Cleanroom Cleaning Products and Storage

Deli88

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on what products we should/can use for cleaning both contact and non-contact surfaces in our cleanrooms. We have 2 ISO class 8 and 2 CNC rooms. We currently use IPA solutions for cleaning but I don't feel they are sufficient at removing all contaminants i.e. physical dirt/debris from our process or spore forming bacteria, I also have a concern with yeasts, moulds, and other fungi.

Secondly. I'm looking for some guidance on the physical storage of cleaning equipment/chemicals. Should cleaning equipment be kept within the controlled environment in a storage locker when not in use or stored outside the rooms, and if so is there any controls i need to have in place to prevent the cleaning equipment from contaminating the rooms..

If anyone has some existing protocols they can share regarding this I would really appreciate your help

Thanks in advance

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
Howdy,

ISO8 is essentially Class 100K...we used a mop and bucket stored in the janitor's closet, and windex and scotchbrite aerosol on surfaces to make them look pretty. This is a very easy cleanroom class to meet.
This thread is not in the medical section...do you have a bio requirement?

CNC rooms...even less burden than the ISO8...make it look pretty and tidy.
Again, is there a bio requirement?

As long as you are controlling the air inlets with HEPA filters, and maintain overpressure...there shouldn't need to be much other restriction to maintain ISO8. We barely gowned and held ISO7 levels regularly with 5-9 active people in the room working.

Deli88

Involved In Discussions
Howdy,

ISO8 is essentially Class 100K...we used a mop and bucket stored in the janitor's closet, and windex and scotchbrite aerosol on surfaces to make them look pretty. This is a very easy cleanroom class to meet.
This thread is not in the medical section...do you have a bio requirement?

CNC rooms...even less burden than the ISO8...make it look pretty and tidy.
Again, is there a bio requirement?

As long as you are controlling the air inlets with HEPA filters, and maintain overpressure...there shouldn't need to be much other restriction to maintain ISO8. We barely gowned and held ISO7 levels regularly with 5-9 active people in the room working.
Thanks Ninja,

We don't have any strict requirements from our customers, the product we supply is non-sterile for medical devices but we do what we can to ensure we don't add to any contamination that may already be present on the raw material. I also want to ensure that the rooms stay as clean as possible in terms of viable and non-viable

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
Do you measure the air in the ISO8 rooms? (If not, they aren't ISO8...)
How often?
What were the last results, prior to your desire to make changes (your questions in the OP)?
Specifically, what were the results for 0.5um particles?

Deli88

Involved In Discussions
Do you measure the air in the ISO8 rooms? (If not, they aren't ISO8...)
How often?
What were the last results, prior to your desire to make changes (your questions in the OP)?
Specifically, what were the results for 0.5um particles?
Yes, tested quarterly at the moment for 5.0µm and 0.5µm, the particle counts have shown no issues with particulate

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
Thanks,

That leads to an unavoidable question:
- You need to be less than 100K
- You are at 11K in one room, and 6K in the other

The question: Why are you worrying about things? If you were trying to make things easier, I could understand it...but your OP seems to be asking "What more should I do?".

What is it you are trying to achieve by changing anything at all? You are already almost a full class better than required...why are you burning calories over this topic? What am I missing?

What I would do in your case:
Vacuum and (maybe) wet mop once a week...or as often as you clean other areas.
Workplaces wipedown after each use (general housekeeping, nothing special)
Both of these are to keep it looking spiffy...because looking spiffy helps to govern behavior in the area.
Review the area once a week to make sure it's tidy and clean looking. (looking is the key part, you're already more than compliant).

Deli88

Involved In Discussions
Thanks,

I suppose I'm just looking for best practice. We are relatively new to clean rooms so the more information I can get the better really. I know the standards are out there but I find talking to people works better

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
You'll find that there are few "best practices" for ISO8 and dirtier...and those you find will be serious overkill.

As I've said in other threads here on the Cove...my living room (including rug and drapes and upholstered furniture) passes ISO8, as does every other room in my house. I am an engineer, not a clean freak.
My garage passes ISO8 with the garage door open unless it is active bloom time in the spring.
Just for kicks, I tested my back patio (no walls...it is outdoor) and it passed in October after 6PM, Southeast PA.

For ISO8, all you need to do is not intentionally spew dust in the air. Normal "looks nice" housekeeping is typically more than enough unless you have extreme traffic.

You're ~10x better than you need to be, surely there is lower hanging fruit somewhere else needing improvement.

HTH

Top Bottom