SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Cleanrooms - Particle Measuring - ISO 14644

SMBIZZQA

Starting to get Involved
We have a controlled environment, not a classified clean room, however we have been doing environmental checks, ie. particular monitoring. I have determined that based on the room size that I need to do 25 locations and in the past have been collecting 5 readings per location. Is the number of readings overkill, can I reduce the umber per location or is 5 reasonable?
Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

htcoztrk

Starting to get Involved
Our company is operating cleanrooms classified as ISO 6 and ISO 7 so I do not know about the controlled rooms that not classified as cleanroom. However I wanted to share my opinion in case it helps.
May I ask why do you collect 5 readings per location? We are outsourcing the all cleanroom testing to accrediated labs and we have been collecting 1 reading of various sizes of particles (0.3, 0.5, 1 and 5 um) per sampling locations for many years. One reading per location has not been any issue on our surveillance audits by neither national nor international auditors and technical experts.
As I recall there is no requirement for minimum reading in ISO 14644-1:2015 but there is minimum sampling location number requirement. You can check the Annex A.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
Howdy,

For a room not classified/certified as a cleanroom, you don't HAVE to do anything. So I'm not sure the basis of the question.

For my ISO8 (100K) and ISO 7 (10K) rooms in the past, one reading was done per location by an outside body as per the previous post above. This was done once per year.

If you want more data, you'll get more usable data measuring the room more often than you will measuring 5 times in a row in the same day.

Given the choice between 5 measurements the same day each year, vs. one reading per location each quarter...I would take the quarterly (it would cost more, though).
Sampling the room once in full usage condition will tell you all about the room...measuring it again 2minutes later gives you no additional useful data unless the first reading is way outside of expectations.

HTH

SMBIZZQA

Starting to get Involved
Thank you for the responses. To answer your questions, the reason I was collecting 5 readings per location was to collect enough data to determine some action and alert levels. I guess that isn't necessary.
Even though we are not a classified room, because we do produce product that is further processed and sterilized we need to run under Controlled Environment. It was suggested by a Microbiologist auditor that I split my area into 3 sections and do one section per month, which is what I have been doing.
I guess that I can reduce the number of readings, which will certainly save a lot of time!
:thanx:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Requirements for the Classification of Cleanrooms other than the Particle Count Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
O Which part of ISO 14644 describe how can I classify cleanrooms between them? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
Ajit Basrur Do you monitor both 0.5 and 5 micron in ISO Class 8 cleanrooms? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
M ISO 14644 - Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments -Recovery Test Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M Is Water allowed to be used in Cleanrooms for Medical Devices? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Pest Control Activities such as Fogging for Cleanrooms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
jkuil Cleaning Procedure for Cleanrooms Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Ajit Basrur Is Bacteriological Monitoring required in ISO Class 8 Cleanrooms ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O Religious head coverings (e.g., yarmulke) and Cleanrooms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
I Compressed air system qualification and 1 micron particle analysis Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
I FDA requirement for 0.5 and 5 micron particle monitoring US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M ISO 14644 Airborne Particle Count Testing Requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
R Closing out an API/ISO QMS Audit Nonconformance - Magnetic Particle Examination Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Magnetic Particle Inspection Non-Destructive Testing Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Ron Rompen Particle Size Templates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Kanomax hand held Laser Particle Counter Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
V Image Analysis - Particle Measurement (Characterization) - Validation - Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C Hiac Royco 256 Particle Counter Calibrator Manual - Any Copies for Sale? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
K SPC to apply for Particle in Clean Room Class 100 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
E Liquid Particle Counter - Which test is for OQ and which on is for PQ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
M Airborne Particle Counter Calibration - 5 microns particles aerosol General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
S NADCAP and CCA (Particle Counting) in a Controlled Contamination Area - Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Setting Control Limits for Particle Counts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
D Which Handheld Air Particle Counter do you recommend? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
L ISO 14644 Result Sheets for Particle monitoring and related monitoring? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Q Interpreting calibration result of Air Particle Counter on Counting efficiency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Particle Counter Results - Interpreting Data for a Class 100,000 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
L Magnetic Particle Inspection - Where's the threads? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
C In-House Particle Counter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
ISOsandy ISO 14644-3 - Testing Air for Particle Counts Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
E Dust Particle Counter Model: Handilaz 301 Operation Manual General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Gage R&R on a delta measurement - Particle measurement count tool Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Clean Rooms Training - Particle release (personel), Sedmentation velocity of particle ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Register of the monitoring and measuring equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Tools used for measuring (New to metrology) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G Best way to calc uncert for measuring microscope without duplicating repeatability? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
cnbrosa Study Type 1 on a CMM using a measuring support Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Accurately measuring Full Thread Length Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
R ULM Measuring Pressures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techniques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/ maximum diameter Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
K Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Measuring FIM (TIR) - Two inside diameters - Conflicting readings between inspectors Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1