Clear differences between ISO 13485 and AS 9100D requirements

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
I've tried to identify clear differences in requirements between ISO 13485 and AS 9100D. Below are the clauses in AS 9100D that are unique to AS 9100D and have no matching clauses in ISO 13485:

7.1.2 People
8.1.1 Operational risk management
8.1.2 Configuration management
8.1.3 Product safety
8.1.4 Prevention of counterfeit parts
8.5.1.1 Control of equipment, tools and software programs
8.5.1.2 Validation and control of special processes
8.5.1.3 Production process verification

I determined these by critically searching for similar requirements in ISO 13485. Can any confirm that these are unique to AS 9100D, or if they disagree and know of clauses/requirements in ISO 13485 that fulfil these clauses for medical?

My focus is on the "Validation and control of special processes" requirements.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

QE1993

Involved In Discussions
My company is certified to both AS9100/9001 and ISO 13485, so this thread will be very helpful to me. Below are some of my thoughts.

7.1.2 has the same intent as 6.1 13485
8.1.1. Operational risk management is spoken about in 7.1 Product realization risk management (which would encompass operational risk)
8.5.1.1 has similar intent as Monitoring and Measurement of product and processes in 13485 and 7.6 control of M&M equipment
8.5.1.2 is 7.5.6 in 13485, along with some sprinkling of 6.2 in regards to qualified personnel.

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
I have your ISO 13485 suggestions correlated elsewhere to different requirements of AS 9100D. I was quite "strict" when correlating requirements between the two standards, do the audits follow the standards stringently or to they apply a bit of intuition as well?

An example being, I have 7.5.6 (ISO 13485) correlated to the general requirements stated in 8.1 & 8.5.1 (AS 9100D), these requirements matchup almost word for word. But as for 8.5.1.2 etc. I find these requirements are aerospace specific.

QE1993

Involved In Discussions
We have two different quality manuals for AS and 13485, which isn't the most value added way to go IMO, but it certainly makes it easier, so I have not necessarily done a strict clause to clause correlation, although maybe I should.

I do not find 8.5.1.2. unique to AS9100. Again, you said you're being "strict" with the correlation, so I'm not sure if you're comparing word to word, but 8.5.1.2. AS is all about validating special processes (where the resulting output can not be verified), which is also the requirement of 7.5.6. Can you tell me why you think 8.5.1.2 is unique to AS?

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
I was under the impression that 8.5.1 relates to normal processes and 8.5.1.2 to special processes, ie requiring separate procedures for each. It seems for 7.5.6 of ISO that only one procedure is needed for processes generally, hence why the correlation is almost word for word between 7.5.6 and 8.5.1 stemming from ISO 9001 I imagine. Of course, this is purely from me just reading the two standards, I could be misinterpreting it.

Are there any clauses/requirements you can think of that are completely unique to AS 9100D of the top of your head?

Hello Everyone:

I would like to get some idea about one could address the event where the product is a biochemical, the customer is the DOD, the manufacturing environment is cGMP and the DOD guidance is AS9100 / FAR? It appears that the ISO 13485 would be applicable with some modification for the product being controlled by the FDA. AS9100 would require attention be given to "Counterfeit components", Domestic Sources for Chemicals, Continuous Improvement, and FAI. Your thoughts on the appropriate standard(s) for this application.

George

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
Hello Everyone:

I would like to get some idea about one could address the event where the product is a biochemical, the customer is the DOD, the manufacturing environment is cGMP and the DOD guidance is AS9100 / FAR? It appears that the ISO 13485 would be applicable with some modification for the product being controlled by the FDA. AS9100 would require attention be given to "Counterfeit components", Domestic Sources for Chemicals, Continuous Improvement, and FAI. Your thoughts on the appropriate standard(s) for this application.

George
Does the DoD require you as the supplier to be AS9100 certified for an FDA regulated product?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A System Audits vs. Process Audits - A clear definition of the differences between each Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
MarilynJ6354 Definition Improvement Suggestion vs. Preventive Action - Clear Definitions and Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
D Clear definition of Outsourced Processes (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Minimum Testing Requirements for a Clear Protective Equipment Barrier (Class II 510K) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
G Source of a Clear Fixture Block on a x-y Video Microscope - Rafaelco? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A 3rd Party Audit Finding Not Clear - 4.1 Outsourced Processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 36
Z How does Japanese Customs Clear and Control Devices shipped into Japan? Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
G Clear-Cast - Indoor digital tv antenna Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
B Quality Contracts with Clear Measures of Electronic Systems such as failure rate Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
Q Auditing without Clear Procedural Direction IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Aspect vs. Impact and Hazard vs. Risk - Short/clear explanation & example Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
Sidney Vianna The ISO 9000 ecosystem - a clear(?) vision for the future of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L ANAB and RvA Rosetta Stone - Requirements in Clear and Unambiguous Language ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
Howard Atkins What calender week is it? ISO 8601 is not clear Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
C How long does it take to clear back ground checking? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
Jim Wynne Why it's important to have clear specifications Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
D Off Duty Balance - Does anyone else enjoy hiking to clear the brain...? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
kedarg6500 How to write clear & concise Problem Statement when using problem solving techniques? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
B ISO 9001 for an E-Learning company - How to proceed when processes are not clear ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Marc In Case You Weren't Clear On How The US Telcos Screwed Everyone After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
RoxaneB Does anyone have a clear way of showing alignment between PDCA and ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
RoxaneB Does anyone have a clear way of showing alignment between ISO 9001 and PDCA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D How to know when a product has a clear anodized finish Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
D Control of M&TE - Clear distinction between VERIFICATION, CHECKING, and CALIBRATION General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
T Definition Tolerance Stackup - Clear Definition Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
S Floor Plan Lay-out - How to make material handling requirements clear APQP and PPAP 7
K Measurement & Test - What is the definition of devices? Measuring equipment is clear. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Need brief and clear description of ISO 9001 QMS quality standard - Student report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A TS 16949 Clear Choice For Automotive Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Ppk vs Cpk - A Good, clear explanation and How Mini-Tab Handles Certain Statistics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 71
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K Differences between Manufacturing Process Audit & Layered Process Audit Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
S Differences in CB expectations between the US and Europe Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Authorized Rep (AR), competent authority, NCA and notified body - Differences EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D USFDA vs NRTL/IEC 17025 Differences - Compliance testing lab ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
D USFDA vs NRTL/IEC 17025 Differences - Compliance testing lab US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
P HVAC System vs Air Handling Unit (AHU) - Differences Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
M What are the differences between "Process Flowchart form" and "Process Flow Diagram form"? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K Differences between EN ISO 11607-1:2009 vs. 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M What are the differences between TIR 13004:2013 and TIR 33? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I "Method" vs "Process" - Differences Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 33
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Differences in CQE, CSTE, CSQA, CQA Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
H Differences between CQI 15 and CQI 17 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
L GMDN code differences, Manufacturer and Sponsor Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F UMDN vs GMDN - What are the differences? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D AS9100D vs AS9120B differences AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5