Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education

J
Customer received these parts and said they looked fine. 6 weeks later they rejected them back for corrosion showing up.

The attached picture shows an example of the corrosion.
The black spots might be from anti-splatter used at welding. The white appears to be from something leaching out from between the bar and the plate.

There are 14 of these flanges welded at various distances and grouping along a 17 inch shaft. The plates can be as close as .25 to each other.

Our plating suppliers all seem to be of the opinion that we cannot get away from this.

Any ideas on how to avoid or minimize this?
This is an issue that we seem to struggle with on a number of our parts.

Thanks
James

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
The white is the initial corrosion step of the plating, followed by red rust. These areas are clearly the low current density areas, which will always have the lowest level of plating. If you check plating thickness elsewhere on the part (which is typical) these will be lower - maybe far lower.) Are they rack or barrel plated? Do you have the option of using a sealant? In some cases where it has been difficult to stop corrosion, a clear sealant has been used to extend corrosion resistance. This technique was very popular at the introduction of tri-valent zinc chromates, when they struggled to meet stringent corrosion requirements.

It has been a long time since I have dealt with this, so I am no expert at this point - but this may provide some lead-in to valuable discussion.

J
The white is the initial corrosion step of the plating, followed by red rust. These areas are clearly the low current density areas, which will always have the lowest level of plating. If you check plating thickness elsewhere on the part (which is typical) these will be lower - maybe far lower.) Are they rack or barrel plated? Do you have the option of using a sealant? In some cases where it has been difficult to stop corrosion, a clear sealant has been used to extend corrosion resistance. This technique was very popular at the introduction of tri-valent zinc chromates, when they struggled to meet stringent corrosion requirements.

It has been a long time since I have dealt with this, so I am no expert at this point - but this may provide some lead-in to valuable discussion.
These are rack plated.
We may be able to use a sealant. We are in discussion with the customer now on this. My concern is that we are dealing with something that is under the plate welded onto the shaft and that a sealant will not really have an effect on that since it is already "inside" the plating so to speak.
This is part of what I am trying to understand.

Thanks

James

James

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
If the plating is not adequate because of welding, is there a need for better cleaning, pickling or passivation prior to plating?

J
If the plating is not adequate because of welding, is there a need for better cleaning, pickling or passivation prior to plating?
I don't know that the problem is particular to welding. Rather it seems to be the case where two component parts meet and there is a narrow, slip fit, void between them. The feedback we are getting is that no matter what is done, there will always be a high risk of contamination (acid, cleaner, etc) remaining in that space and that eventually it will begin to leech out.
We are looking at requiring a more extensive cleaning and physically blowing out these areas to see if that helps.

I do think the issue has to be in the cleaning because I noted that parts with a very shiny finish had far fewer problems than those that had more of a matt looking finish.

Just as a side note, I've only recently been charged with supplier development and had this sort of thing dropped on me. I am not a plating person so this is all basically new to me.
Thanks for your patience.

James

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DuncanGibbons Clear differences between ISO 13485 and AS 9100D requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Clear definition of Outsourced Processes (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
MarilynJ6354 Definition Improvement Suggestion vs. Preventive Action - Clear Definitions and Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
A Minimum Testing Requirements for a Clear Protective Equipment Barrier (Class II 510K) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
G Source of a Clear Fixture Block on a x-y Video Microscope - Rafaelco? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A 3rd Party Audit Finding Not Clear - 4.1 Outsourced Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 36
Z How does Japanese Customs Clear and Control Devices shipped into Japan? Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
G Clear-Cast - Indoor digital tv antenna Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
B Quality Contracts with Clear Measures of Electronic Systems such as failure rate Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
Q Auditing without Clear Procedural Direction IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Aspect vs. Impact and Hazard vs. Risk - Short/clear explanation & example Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
Sidney Vianna The ISO 9000 ecosystem - a clear(?) vision for the future of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L ANAB and RvA Rosetta Stone - Requirements in Clear and Unambiguous Language ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
Howard Atkins What calender week is it? ISO 8601 is not clear Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
C How long does it take to clear back ground checking? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
Jim Wynne Why it's important to have clear specifications Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
D Off Duty Balance - Does anyone else enjoy hiking to clear the brain...? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
kedarg6500 How to write clear & concise Problem Statement when using problem solving techniques? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
B ISO 9001 for an E-Learning company - How to proceed when processes are not clear ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Marc In Case You Weren't Clear On How The US Telcos Screwed Everyone After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
RoxaneB Does anyone have a clear way of showing alignment between PDCA and ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
RoxaneB Does anyone have a clear way of showing alignment between ISO 9001 and PDCA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D How to know when a product has a clear anodized finish Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
D Control of M&TE - Clear distinction between VERIFICATION, CHECKING, and CALIBRATION General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
T Definition Tolerance Stackup - Clear Definition Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
S Floor Plan Lay-out - How to make material handling requirements clear APQP and PPAP 7
K Measurement & Test - What is the definition of devices? Measuring equipment is clear. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Need brief and clear description of ISO 9001 QMS quality standard - Student report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A TS 16949 Clear Choice For Automotive Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A System Audits vs. Process Audits - A clear definition of the differences between each Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
D Ppk vs Cpk - A Good, clear explanation and How Mini-Tab Handles Certain Statistics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 71
R BS EN 12060:1998 - Zinc and zinc alloys Method of sampling Specifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Corrosion in Bores after Zinc Plating machined Iron Castings in VCI Bags Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B API Q1 5.7.1.5 Process Validation - Machining, heat treating, Manganese Phosphate and Zinc Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D How do you currently QC fastener coatings (zinc, wax etc.) at your company? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M AMS0320 - Electro-deposition of zinc - Anyone come across this spec? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Zinc Oxide as a Topical Application EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Projection welding of nuts on zinc coated surface Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Testing Zinc Coating on Expanded Metal Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J Zinc Plating Process NADCAP Certification Guidance please AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
V Interpreting Zinc Plating Specification GMW 3044 - 6K96/48 APQP and PPAP 2
I IMDS Warning - Chromate Filming of Zinc Plating RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
V PPAP Requirements including GMW 3179 Zinc Plating Specification Requirements APQP and PPAP 3
T Zinc Phosphate Test Panels look bad - Need Help Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Is Dental Impression Paste (Zinc Oxide and Eugenol) a Drug 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
R ASTM B633 Zinc Plating Specification - Transportation of parts by boat to China Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Salt Spray Test on 3 year old Zinc Die Casting Chromed part per ASTM B 117-03 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Engineering Material Specifications - Paint (zinc phosphate) and e-coat Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
D Zinc Phosphate problems - Green Bath has turned White Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
D Operator Training sheet for zinc phosphate/chromate Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3