Clinical trial - Medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial

Hi all,

I need your help again!
It is possible to use a medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial.
We have a client that will perform a clinical trial and want to use our product (a software stand alone) to process the results of the trial but our product is not approved yet.
Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Trusted Information Resource
No. One variable at a time. For an IDE or IND the only exception I have seen is using an approved device for off label use. For example, our surgeons in the surgical procedures wanted to use hemostats to help move a nerve into a position to wrap a cuff around it. Surgeons have some leeway in the way they are allowed to use tools in their protocols.

You first need to demonstrate singularly to the FDA your device is safe and effective for its claims.

Any IRB would suggest high risk and thus FDA oversight.

I worked at the Dept Veterans Affairs and managed several IDE studies. Almost every PhD had the IRB review require FDA oversight and a master file submitted to the FDA. They could consent a population to use a non approved drug but you cannot legally consent to also an unapproved device as well. This would require your own study to demonstrate effectiveness and safety before used in conjunction with the drug.

Last edited:

Watchcat

Yes, it is possible to use a medical device not legally marketed in the US in a drug trial.

It is also possible to use one in a drug trial conducted at US sites.

If what you meant to ask is how do you legally conduct a clinical trial at US sites when that trial requires use of a device that is not legally marketed in the US, the answer is that you need to have an approved IDE.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Hi all,

I need your help again!
It is possible to use a medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial.
We have a client that will perform a clinical trial and want to use our product (a software stand alone) to process the results of the trial but our product is not approved yet.
Thank you
So, you mean that the device is a combination product and thus they would trial the device/drug? Or that it's a drug product, and for some reason they want the use the device?

The answers might be different depending on the situation (when I answered before, I was under the impressions that they were separate).

Last edited:

Watchcat

For an IDE or IND the only exception I have seen is using an approved device for off label use. For example, our surgeons in the surgical procedures wanted to use hemostats to help move a nerve into a position to wrap a cuff around it. Surgeons have some leeway in the way they are allowed to use tools in their protocols.
If it was the surgeons who wanted to do it this way, instead of the sponsor wanting them to do it, I don't know that I'd call this an exception to the IDE, maybe more like outside of its scope. But maybe you are talking about a sponsor-investigator? (You say "their" protocols?)

Any IRB would suggest high risk and thus FDA oversight.
I'm afraid "any IRB" is something of a stretch. :( But I don't think IRBs would need to worry about the risk, since, as far as I know, there is no NSR exemption from the IND regulations? In that case, since the drug is also investigational, the study would require FDA oversight regardless of the level of risk of the device, don't you think?

I worked at the Dept Veterans Affairs and managed several IDE studies. Almost every PhD had the IRB review require FDA oversight and a master file submitted to the FDA.
I've worked with federally funded trials, sponsored by federally funded organizations. I think they tend to hold themselves to somewhat different standards than are typically found in the industry. They may also operate under various policy and/or legal constraints that are not applicable to trials sponsored by industry.

You first need to demonstrate singularly to the FDA your device is safe and effective for its claims.
You mean before using it in a trial? I wouldn't think so. That's what you need to demonstrate in order to market it.

They could consent a population to use a non approved drug but you cannot legally consent to also an unapproved device as well.
I'm not aware of this prohibition. Is it part of the FD&C Act, or some other law?

Ed Panek

You make some good points. My work in Cleveland was mostly around nerve cuff and muscle stim for amputees and exoskeletons for SCI. Also all of our studies required a master file approval and FDA IDE rules.

Surgeons meet with the investigators and create a surgery "plan". How they plan to implant or explant the device. Just because a tool doesnt exist to hold a nerve in place to wrap a cuff around it doesnt mean the surgeon cant plan to use any other to perform that function. But the plan must be reviewable.

Last edited:

Ed Panek

Oh like bringing their cell phones (Unsterilized) into the OR and taking selfies with the patient? :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T Medical device Clinical trial exemption list China Medical Device Regulations 2
M Does Medical Device Usability Study = Clinical Trial? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 26
A Singapore - Requirements for Import of Medical Devices for Clinical Trial Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
I Medical Device Clinical Trial Audit Checklist wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Roadmap for Clinical Trial for Orthopaedic Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Medical Device Clinical Trial Labels Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 7
F China Device Assisted Technology Clinical Trial China Medical Device Regulations 4
R Clinical Trial to sell in the EU - Necessary or Not? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Biologic Injectable Device Clinical Trial Packaging/Labeling/Artwork Guidelines Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
H IVD in US Phase III Clinical Trial - Non-CE Marked and Non-FDA Approved Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Q South Africa Clinical Trial Inspections by MCC Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
S Clinical Trial Informed Consent Forms ("retro-signing") US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
B Health Canada Acceptance Policy of Foreign Clinical Trial Data for Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
C Retention of Clinical Trial Data after a Clinical Trial has ended Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
N Can a Clinical Trial Lead Investigator Surgeon be a Expert Clinical Evaluator? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R CE Mark requirements on US Clinical Trial Product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I IVD product for use in a Drug Clinical Trial (FDA matters) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Labeling Contraindication vs. Clinical Trial Exclusion Criterion Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
bio_subbu CDSCO issues Draft Guidelines for Approval of Clinical Trial & New Drugs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
D EU Clinical Trial Startup vs. US IDE (Investigational Device Exemption) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Clinical Trial Study Reports - SOP Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N Requirement of GCP for a clinical trial of IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Does a Radiotherapy device need a clinical trial for getting registered in China? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Impact of changing manufacturer post clinical investigation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C MDCG 2020-06 Clinical evidence legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Clinical Evaluation Plan vs. PMCF Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 17
S Selling Clinical Practice Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
M Good Clinical Practice (GCP) - ISO 14155 vs. ICH Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
S Article 61 - MDR Clinical Investigation Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Are DAM tools, Mobile application, clinical dashboard, etc. considered accessories to medical device or supportive functions? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Can someone share a scrubbed version of Clinical Evaluation Plan (CEP) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Do Medical Device Complaints include Clinical Trials? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S EU MDR Annex XIV - Clinical Evaluation Plan - What do these methods mean? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
dgrainger Informational MHRA updated guidance: Clinical investigations of medical devices – guidance for manufacturers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
vickyva Checklist for Clinical Investigation compliant to EU-MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
A Post-market clinical followup studies (PMCF) EU Medical Device Regulations 16
S Clinical Evaluation - Is this an ISO 13485:2016 requirement? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 2 – Level of clinical evidence and what sufficient clinical evidence means Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M One clinical design: Russia and Europe Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
S Level of Clinical Evidence - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Clinical Decision Support Software Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0