SBS - The best value in QMS software

Clinical Trial to sell in the EU - Necessary or Not?

R

Rich Bass

Hi all,

My company have a class III unique product, currently sold around 10,000 products in the USA. With this sort of PMS data am I still required to do a clinical study to sell in the EU?

Hoping someone can help

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Not an expert but I want to be involved in this conversation.

I don't believe you have provided sufficient information to make a call. Sales does not equate to PMS data.

And I think there's probably general confusion over clinical evidence (data) -v- clinical studies. I believe (and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the intent of MEDDEV 2.7/1 revision 4 (guideline on clinical evaluations) is to get manufacturers to collect sufficient data to be able to continue to assert that their device is sufficiently safe and effective. If you do not have such data (and you can't support the assertion through other means such as literature review), you may well need to conduct a clinical study to get sufficient data.

The MDR defines a rather complex (IMO) system of vigilance, PMS, clinical evaluation and it all is expected to tie into risk management, usability, etc.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
You need to perform a clinical evaluation to verify of current clinical data are enough to show compliance with specific essential requirements, as all devices require a clinica evaluation. A clinical investigation (clinical trial) is a way to gather clinical data.

For implantable and class III devices, a clinical investigation is also always required, unless there a duly substantiated justification on why not to perform it.

With the above, one way to not perform a clinical investigation is to show in your clinical evaluation that current clinical data is enough to show compliance with the specific essential requirements, clinical risk are known and controlled, side effects are known and their occurrence is also known and under the estimates, and thus the benefit/risk profile is known and the benefit overweights the risk.

This can be done if your clinical evaluation is done correctly and also your current clinical data is good. Unfortunately, the fact that the device has been in a market for some time does not automatically implies that the clinical data is good.

For one, manufacturers usually do not systematically gather the data they should in a way that can be considered scientifically and statistically valid (for example, data on benefits). Another problem is to have data only from the US but no from EU.

So, you may be able to skip a clinical investigation, but you also may not.

Finally, NBs (which have been historically accepting bogus justifications for years) are being pushed to not accept justifications anymore unless they are really really strong with scientifically proven clinical data, so this is another possible problem.

R

Rich Bass

Thank you for your comments.

For some additional information, we have had no complaints and no adverse events from the 10,000 or so products sold. We have not completed a post market clinical follow up of any kind but plan to send a questionnaire to customers which focuses in on some of the claims. There is some literature available on the product but not too much (approximately 12 good trials have been done on this product type).

The CER could be made to highlight all claims and risks but i still don't know if this will be enough. The cost to get an NB in to review and then fail is not one our company can sacrifice especially if we have to do a trial after?

Any advice is very welcome.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
For some additional information, we have had no complaints and no adverse events from the 10,000 or so products sold.
Not to be picky, but lack of complaints does not mean that problems do not exist, even more so because it's known that problems are underreported (there's an estimation that only 3-4 % of problems are reported to MAUDE, and MAUD is known to very VERY underreported).

We have not completed a post market clinical follow up of any kind but plan to send a questionnaire to customers which focuses in on some of the claims.
You would need to calculate how much response you would need to have a statistically and scientifically response data. Also, I would take care with using questionaries only, besides they being difficult to get answers.

There is some literature available on the product but not too much (approximately 12 good trials have been done on this product type).
The fact that trials have been done on the product type does not mean much, as only data from equivalent devices can be used to show compliance with ERs (you can use data from similar devices for other means, thought).

The CER could be made to highlight all claims and risks but i still don't know if this will be enough.
It's really impossible to say anything without clear information, that's why I've been giving only generic guidance. It's also impossible to know how the NB would react.

The cost to get an NB in to review and then fail is not one our company can sacrifice especially if we have to do a trial after?
Well, the only solution in this case would be to do a clinical trial before, but this is obviously more costly. I still think that a good clinical evaluation with scientifically sound data could be accepted (but again, this depends on the device).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E ISO 13485 in Clinical Trial conduct: Applicable or No ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Clinical Trial and Finished Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P Clinical Trial Requirement - No equivalent devices in the market CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
shimonv Minimum 60601 requirements for a clinical trial IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
T Clinical trial - Medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 8
T Medical device Clinical trial exemption list China Medical Device Regulations 2
F China Device Assisted Technology Clinical Trial China Medical Device Regulations 4
J Biologic Injectable Device Clinical Trial Packaging/Labeling/Artwork Guidelines Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
H IVD in US Phase III Clinical Trial - Non-CE Marked and Non-FDA Approved Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
M Does Medical Device Usability Study = Clinical Trial? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 26
Q South Africa Clinical Trial Inspections by MCC Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
S Clinical Trial Informed Consent Forms ("retro-signing") US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Singapore - Requirements for Import of Medical Devices for Clinical Trial Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Health Canada Acceptance Policy of Foreign Clinical Trial Data for Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
C Retention of Clinical Trial Data after a Clinical Trial has ended Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
N Can a Clinical Trial Lead Investigator Surgeon be a Expert Clinical Evaluator? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R CE Mark requirements on US Clinical Trial Product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I IVD product for use in a Drug Clinical Trial (FDA matters) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Labeling Contraindication vs. Clinical Trial Exclusion Criterion Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
bio_subbu CDSCO issues Draft Guidelines for Approval of Clinical Trial & New Drugs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
D EU Clinical Trial Startup vs. US IDE (Investigational Device Exemption) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Medical Device Clinical Trial Audit Checklist wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Clinical Trial Study Reports - SOP Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Roadmap for Clinical Trial for Orthopaedic Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Medical Device Clinical Trial Labels Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
N Requirement of GCP for a clinical trial of IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Does a Radiotherapy device need a clinical trial for getting registered in China? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P GSPRs / Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P IDEs and Clinical Investigators - Advice About Records? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Q Summative Usability Evaluation Testing: prior or during Clinical Investigation? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
M Clinical Decision Support Software Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Regular updates of clinical evaluation report EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Clinical Benefit of device that only aids in a process for managing or treating disease EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Clinical accuracy and repeatability of IR(infrared) thermometer, no maximum error criteria is recommended in ISO Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
C EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Clinical Evaluation Benchmark vs. Equivalent EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Classification of product for clinical trials EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Australia TGA Clinical Evaluation Report (CER) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
L Clinical research - Request from ANVISA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
E Use of OQ cleared batch for stability and clinical study use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
B Clinical Evaluation Expert Panels - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1