Cloud Computing Requirements for Design History Files for Software Medical Devices

robert.beck

Involved In Discussions
what are the best contents of a DHF for a software-only medical device?

what are the special issues related to cloud computing, as they apply to a DHF?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Cloud Computing Requirements for Design History Files for Software Medical Device

DHF contents are the same for a software only device as for a mechanical device: you have to show your planning, design inputs (including risk management), design outputs, reviews, verification, validation, etc.

Not sure I understand the second question. Are you asking the implications of storing the DHF (records, etc.) in the cloud or are you saying the device utilizes data stored in the cloud? Either way, there's a high probability that you will need to address 21 CFR Part 11 (Electronic Records / Electronic Signatures).

Either one is probably a huge topic so the more specific the question, the better chance of getting helpful feedback.

robert.beck

Involved In Discussions
Re: Cloud Computing Requirements for Design History Files for Software Medical Device

1. I don't see how DHF contents can be the same, except in name only. If you know how software development is done, it doesn't fit the FDA design control structure. I wondered if anyone has had a software-only medical device DHF reviewed by FDA, or at least has built one that they think will pass FDA scrutiny.

2. I agree that Part 11 kicks in when cloud computing is involved, but here I am asking about any special documentation requirements or a list of documents that might be relevant to cloud computing. by cloud computing, I mean that part of the application runs on servers that are accessed via some kind of remote and possibly indirect mechanism. so for example, the medical device is something that you wear or carry and it sends and receives data over WiFi, wireless, Internet, cellular, bluetooth, and so on. at the other end is a server-based application that responds, mostly by collecting data. i can think one type of application where patient data was collected via telemetry in a clinic office, sent by FTP over a modem to a central site, analyzed, and then accessed via web reports. nothing state of the art here, this uses technologies from the late 90's.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator

For 1), a software product (and yes, I have worked on them) *does* have the same DHF contents. As I mentioned, Design Inputs (requirements), Design Outputs (architecture diagrams, state diagrams, interface specifications, database schema, etc.), verification test protocols / results, etc.

I don't mean to sound snarky but do you not create requirements (what the software has to do)? Do you not then translate those requirements into a design (and have some way of knowing that the requirements are all incorporated into the design)? Do you not test the application (and have some way of knowing that all requirements are adequately verified)?

For 2), no, I don't know of any special docs if you're doing things in the cloud. You still have to show that the data is safe (secured, backed up). If access to the data is life-sustaining (and it doesn't sound like it is... and frankly that's a scary thought!) then you may have to take more extraordinary measures to ensure 24x7 access (redundancy, etc.). Generally, some kind of Quality Agreement (which is outside the scope of the DHR but still within the framework of cGMP) with the cloud provider will help facilitate all that.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

Hi,

IEC 62304 is recognized by the FDA for the process of software validation (and others), so following it will probably give a good starting point when facing any FDA inspection / review of a software medical device:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfstandards/detail.cfm?id=22436

The recognition page points to some other guidance that may also provide answers to your questions.

Note: I'm not from the software field.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jen Kirley What's procedurally required for "cloud computing"? TS16949 Clause 4.2.4. Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
H Existing cloud based medical device - questions regarding improving the processes IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
DanBOS Cloud Connected Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Y Exporting data to the cloud is a "Significant Change"? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Tagin Hosting in the cloud still requires DR (OVH fire) Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
S DHF/DMR/MDF for a software-only, cloud-based, single-instance device Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
B Oracle Cloud ERP Validation during Quarterly Patch ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Testing cloud-based backups IT (Information Technology) Service Management 7
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
O ZenQMS cloud solution? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
was named killer CLOUD BASED QUALITY DOCUMENTATION vs. SERVER BASED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Validation of eQMS - Cloud based out of the box solution Other Medical Device Related Standards 18
Ed Panek Do Cloud services require 21 CFR Part 11 compliance? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
S Moving from client-server to cloud-based, is that a new submission? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
Z Security for Approvals - Cloud based Complaint, NC, and CAPA systems Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
T QMS - Documentation Cloud Storage EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Validation of mobile app and cloud servers for data security IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
S Saving QMS documents in cloud drive - Compliance with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T FDA proposed labeling standalone software cloud based US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
R Online / Cloud Based Software as Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Cloud-Based Stand Alone Software - Software Medical Device (Class II) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Validation of Applications in a Cloud, CFR 21 part 11 (Environmental Monitoring) Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
D Anyone using a cloud based QMS software? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
E Cloud Services for Medical Devices with CE Mark EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q File Management system in Cloud for Medical Mobile Apps IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
D Can Cloud Data Management resources be qualified? Should they be? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Marc Anyone here affected by the volcano ash cloud? April 2010 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 33
K Definition Point-Cloud Data - Understanding of the term "Point-Cloud Data" Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Marc Biggest Wi-Fi Cloud Is in Rural Oregon After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
R Point Cloud Technology Validation - Point Cloud to CAD model comparisons for FAIR General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Is computing Hardware part of the IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Should Data be Normal before Computing Baselines? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K Computing Cpk with out determining if my data is normal Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
B Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
S Computing Control Limits in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K CE Certification for Secure Computing/Tempest company CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Help on p-chart - Computing new control limits and chart suitability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
P Computing six sigma when the USL & LSL are varying Six Sigma 16
R Computing Supplier Quality with multiple UOM Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
Marc Silicon-based chip that can produce laser beams - Major computing advancement After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
A Overall equipment effectiveness - Computing OEE taking all machines taken together Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
Marc Hacker Hunters - An elite force takes on the dark side of computing After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Flammability requirements for applied parts as per 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Customer requirements on specific standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S State Licensing requirements for Medical Devices sold in the US directly to hospitals and tissue banks 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R PPAP Requirements for Tool Repair or Refurbishment APQP and PPAP 5
I France clinical trial requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Outsourced Internal Audit requirements for Aerospace Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21