Cmk (Machine Capability) - Case study

M

michu

I'd like to know your interpretations for attached capability study results (especially regarding normal probability plot). Presented data was send to me by supplier as a machine capability.

Thanks in advance

Michu

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
Re: Cmk - case study

The first thing that I notice is that the gage resolution is quite poor. The data readings are all either 0.078 or 0.079 (the majority being 0.079) ; the spec limit is 0.080. In other words, the number of distinct categoriwes (NDC) is 2 ... AND the spec limit would be the next distinct category! With most of the readings withing 1 unit of the spec limit, I would question carefully the ability of the instrument to truly gage the results.

Given this resolution, then the rest of the analysis is a little shaky. The numbers might be good, but I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

Tim F

M

michu

My first impression about result was exactly the same. What's your opinion about normal probability plot? Is it possible to say, based on presented results, that data were taken from process with normal distribution?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

My first impression about result was exactly the same. What's your opinion about normal probability plot? Is it possible to say, based on presented results, that data were taken from process with normal distribution?
Probably a better question is: would you expect a normal distribution? What type of process is this? Why is there no lower specification limit? A little more information is needed to really understand the data!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

The p-value from the Anderson-Darling test for Normality is 0.000, which indicates that the data are NOT Normal. However, this may be the result of inadequate gage resolution as previously discussed. Have you performed an MSA on this gage?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

The p-value from the Anderson-Darling test for Normality is 0.000, which indicates that the data are NOT Normal. However, this may be the result of inadequate gage resolution as previously discussed. Have you performed an MSA on this gage?
I agree - there does seem to be a lack of resolution to determine exactly what is going on with this distribution. But, if this machine capability is for precision machining (which is the need to understand the actual process) and totally from tool wear, then the expectation would be that the distribution would not be normal. What is also missing from the analysis is the variation in time order (run chart), e.g., are all of the smaller data before, after, or in between the larger data? Big difference in the interpretation! :cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Excel Spreadsheet Template to calculate Cmk (Machine Capability) wanted Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
Q Machine Capability Study - Cpk (Cmk) of an R/F testing machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
V Machine short term capability study with Cmk index in automotive industry Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q Confused about the machine capability index Cmk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Acceptance criteria for Cmk (machine capability index) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M How to Conduct a Machine Capability (Cmk) Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 26
S Cmk and Cpk - When will we need to calculate Cmk? Machine Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S Cmk is defined as a Capability Index for a Stable Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
M Cmk calculation - Small plastic parts using injection-moulding machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M How is the Cmk and Cpk calculated? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
G Function in french called "numbre de posage(s)" - CMK Question Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
L Fastening Process Cmk study - Bolt Torque Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Multi-fixtures in one CNC lathe - How to do Cmk study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
F MCA calculation - problem with Cm Cmk and boundaries Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
C Gauge R&R Studies Bad, but Process has a Cmk of over 7 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S A question about Cpk and Cmk - Can we use Cpk to replace Cmk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D Tool Approval Process - Should we be using Cmk for tool validation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
H Some questions about Cmk and Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
B I am confused, which Cmk value should I take and use? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
C Evaluating software that measures Ppk, Cmk, Cpk, PPI, etc. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Cpk, Cmk in Electronic Assembly (Process Capabiity) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B Any ideas on setting up Capability Study spreadsheet in Excel? (CPK/CMK formulae) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
K Cmk - What is the difference between an R&R study and Cmk? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly Cm / Cmk are? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Machine directory (2006/42/EEC) is applicable or not Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
Marc The German Enigma Machine of World War II After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
GreatNate Qualifying a CNC machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
GoSpeedRacer Veterinary anesthesia machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
K Mammography Machine Bench Testing - FDA 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J Extent of Validation - New machine installed in manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
P Average access height into an industrial machine (average base plate height) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
B Machine process sheet requirements for pill bottling operation Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
B Does EMC Directive 2014/30/EU cease to apply when the Machine Directive 2006/42/EC is applicable? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3