SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

CMM plane construction method types and accuracy differences for measuring Pos Tol

V

vinmech32

I have a sheet metal bracket in which i am measuring a true position tolerance wrt to the plane. The inherent variation in the plane flatness is 0.5 (-0.25 to + 0.25mm). I am taking 4 points (+0.2,-0.25,+0.22,_0.21). If we ask the CMM to construct a plane with these 4 points. What would be the best method to have a plane which would be close to 0. I have a true position of a hole which needs to be measured from this plane. I fear if there is a variation of 0.1-0.2 in plane construction then the true position values would be deviated from the spec even the hole is machined at the right position.

I would like to have an understanding of the different methods that are employed in CMM measurements for plane construction and how do the accuracies vary between them. Which one is the preferred one.

I tried to look for similar posts which discuss about plane construction methods (least squares, average, best fit etc) but i was not able to spot any. If there is any previous discussion which talks abt these areas, do post a link and i will refer it.

Expecting your technical expertise for my understanding

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: CMM plane construction method types and accuracy differences for measuring posi t

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!!

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: CMM plane construction method types and accuracy differences for measuring posi t

You may have better results asking the question 'here'.

If I understand your question, I will attempt to answer it, I am not an expert, I just program our CMM when it needs it.

Try taking more than 4 points and take the points at close to the hole and on the edge of the sheet metal. If I am checking for flatness, 16 points is the minimum suggested (by the software I use) to get an accurate reading. Before the CMM I am currently using, I always thought 8 points was a good number so take your pick.

RSEGRIGGY

Involved In Discussions

What software are you using?

How big is your part? How far apart are your hits?

I'd say regardless of what you are using, 4 hits is probably not enough to establish a good plane, especially one with that much deviation.

What tolerance are you trying to hold?

V

vinmech32

Thanks to all for their responses. Will try CMMGuys forum too.

I think its PCDMIS, i am not sure. The part is 300mm height 200mm length 70mm width. Its a bracket a kind of C shape. The plane which i am talking about is on the 70mm side and the points are taken 50mm apart. I have two datum target areas both separated by a distance of 190mm along the height. So its 2 points on one target area and another 2 points exactly below in the another target area which is 190mm apart. I have a position tolerance requirement of 0.4 with this plane as primary one.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
F Besides using the CMM - Checking perpendicularity between a plane and an OD Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Re-PPAP after updating CMM program? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Nihls MSA Study Type 1 (CMM) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C CMM Granite too hard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
cnbrosa Study Type 1 on a CMM using a measuring support Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Calibration Frequency for Slip Gauge Kit used for CMM Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A Cg, Cgk and GRR of a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techniques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/ maximum diameter Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Honeywell CMM's - Why Honeywell will no longer sell their manuals Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
V Recording CMM dimensional results on CFG-1003 APQP and PPAP 3
G Measuring customer parts on a CMM - How many decimals to report to the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 28
J CMM Accuracy Formula General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Manual Vision CMM Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D CMM Room cleanliness requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
P IATF 16949 MSA Studies for CMM machines IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Can a Mill be used as a CMM? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Ron Rompen Best Practices in CMM Correlation Studies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Zeiss CMM Calypso output to Excel or CSV file Help Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
J CMM Probe Certification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Opinions on the "Best" CMM for High Accuracy Machining General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Getting ready for Boeing's AC7130 requirement for suppliers using a CMM AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J CMM Uncertainty Calculation Question - Deviations Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 9
K "Verification of Calibration" - CMM arm General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P CMM Equipment Validation and Qualification Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Outsourced CMM Measurement Inspection Service and ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
M Gage R&R with CMM 1X1X10 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
T CMM measurement and usage in the Automotive Industry Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
P CMM measurement using 2D drawings Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Translating and Rotating Rules when programming or measuring with a CMM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
4 Quality vs Production on CMM Set Up Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
G Approval of Jigs (work holding devices) for CMM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J How to Retrofit an old, manual CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
O Camio Output Control - Programming on Camio 4.6 CMM Software Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
F Comparison of 2 CMM machines using Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R ISO - Clause 7.5.1.3 - CMM Software Program Validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Stated Accuracy of Portable CMM Arm and Real World Use Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
K Gage R on a 10 Piece Sample with a CMM using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Does anyone know anything about the Mitutoyo MACH V CMM? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T CMM Inspection of Profile Tolerance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
B Result of a Flatness MSA on a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B MSA result on parts measured with a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
M MCOSMOS - Monitor your CMM load time Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
G Update Numerex Air Bearing CMM? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
F How to get Honeywell APU CMM manual and CFM56-5B & 7B CMM manual Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
Marc CMM Training at NIST - August 28-29, 2013 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1