Coding System Process Flow for Order Tracker documents (Job Traveller)

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Fellow Cove Dwellers...

Looking for your thoughts and ideas on this lovely dillemma...

Our company uses Microsoft programs for everything: Excel is used for product files, Word is used to make quality documents, Access is used for our Order Tracker documents (Job Traveller).

Here is the issue:

When a job is ordered, new or existing, a New Order Form is filled out and handed off to scheduling. If the job is new, a product development form is handed off to R&D to create the product.

Continuing with the idea that the product is new, it is not formulated yet, but the New Order form is given to Logistics who prints off an Order Tracker. Because the job is new, it doesnt have a code number yet. So in the "Product Code" section, "TBF" is placed instead. (To Be Formulated).

The code that is put into that section carries over to other documents in the Order Tracker, including the temporary labels that Production uses to identify the product in the containers. Thus, a lot of products end up being labeled as "TBF".

There is other information on the labels to identify what the product is, such as a lot number, the customer, and the description of the product.

My first thought, was "Why dont we wait on printing the Order Tracker, until a code is given?" I was informed that if we waited for that, it would delay getting it onto the schedule and we would be giving our customers a 5 to 6 week lead-time, which is unacceptable.

Second thought, "Can we just give it a new code immediately when R&D gets the work?" I was informed, No. Because sometimes customers have us use their own codes, so it will actually save us time and work if we use there codes..

This process has gotten on my nerves frankly for the last few years...

Anyone have any thoughts on this wonderful process?

Thanks much!
:tg:

S

silentrunning

I would make another column and have it be for “Entry Code” or “Interim Code”. We do this when Requests for Quotes come in so that we can keep them in proper order. We then issue a “Quote Number” once the part has gone thru the various steps involved in quoting. This quote number is then linked to the traveler number when the Purchase Order is received. All three numbers are available at all times during the production and afterwards.

M

michaelrm

Had a similar dilemma with a client – which may help?:cfingers:

Solution was to define all processes by a Job number & Client Ref -

if the Client Ref was blank then the job number and client ref were the same – if client issues a code then Client Ref is changed to suite, all staff can look at either number and it all points to the same within the Tracking system, mind you it works fine for a fully electronic tracking and manufacturing process.

Top Bottom