Coffee Break Forum Poll - Take II

Should the Coffee Break Forum be retained and maintained?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Try again...forgot to select Poll option. Could a moderator please delete the other Poll?

CarolX raised a good point in the other threads re: the Coffee Break Forum. There was, once upon a time, a Cove without the water cooler option. Do we wish to return to that?

Perhaps we should determine if we wish to keep this Forum before coming up with the rules for posting within it?

It would be great if you could state why you voted the way you did...especially if you voted Undecided.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
fyi - repeat of my post

This is a repeat of my post in the other thread

I will post this in both threads.

My thoughts are to eliminate the coffee break boards altogether.

Some of you that have been around for a while can remember when there wasn't a coffee break board. Marc started it at the request of several members in order to prevent cluttering the business forums with humor and road kill recipes.

The coffee break board has brought a lot of trouble to Marc, probably much more than any of us know. Not to long ago, this site was completely off line for several days while the database was riffled through. How many of you would keep this up after that?

We may complain and cry and stomp our feet about wanting these boards left on. To that…I can only say that I am grateful that our profession has such a dedicated individual as Marc Smith.

I have enjoyed many of the discussions and the debates, but that is not why I am here. I am here for an exchange of information and knowledge. There are plenty of other places to discuss the issues that have been brought up on this board.

JMHO,

CarolX

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I voted yes. I can't really say why other than I've enjoyed the Humor Thread and shared a lot of the posts with my fellow employees. Most of the posts make for a nice break from the tediousness of statistics/measuring and making sure every "T" is crossed and "I" dotted.

Could I live if it were taken away? Yes.

Bill

D

db

Sometimes a little humor, or roadkill is a nice break from reality. It is also a good place to put things like RC's "Weekend to beat cancer" and the "Bump into a Cover" threads.

Should there be controls? you bet. Should politics be allowed? I don't think so.

My two cents

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I voted yes. I'm a newbie here, but certainly not a newbie to the profession.

I'm not even sure I understand all the bells and whistles available to me here at The Cove, but if there isn't a way to put an obnoxious poster on a personal "ignore" list, there should be.

In my personal view, I like to have some moments to just get a feel for the personalities behind the professional opinions expressed elsewhere. It may not be a scientific method of evaluation, but I think more of a writer who has a sense of the absurd and can understand when a religious or political diatribe belongs elsewhere than in a thread about Quality and its pragmatic relationship with the world of business.

Thus said, the Forum for political or religious opinion should be reserved for the personal opinion of the writer, NOT for interminable inserts of text from third parties that may or may not reflect the poster's point of view.

If bandwidth is a problem, limit inserts and attachments. If the poster just ABSOLUTELY feels he needs to post a one meg or larger document on a non-quality issue, may I suggest he consider opening a free yahoo email and webpage account where the material can be posted, then simply listing the url of the pertinent page.

I do stuff like that all the time for various associations I belong to so I can avoid tying up members' email accounts with large files.

Here's a simple example, just to illustrate the point.
http://www.geocities.com/tm21stcentury/aerial-photo-of-meeting-site.pdf
It's an aerial photo made into a pdf file so any reader can easily print it out. (depending on your internet connection, it may take a while to download.)

Definitely, rudeness and controversial points of view are par for the course of ANY opinion forum, on-line or in-person. A disclaimer on each Forum is sufficient to serve notice to those who may be offended.

L

Laura M

If there has to be rules to keep it, then let there be rules. I never bothered too much with the political/religious stuff. Usually posts were too long to get through. I think having the "Who are we", humor, various sports etc to me make up for the fact that I don't "know" anyone.
If its too much trouble for Marc, then I can live without.

D

David Hartman

I just voted yes to keep the CB forums, but as several others have stated these forums are totally optional with me as well. The greatest value to the Cove is found in the business end of the forums.

You all have been a great help to me in my ISO 9001:2000 endeavors, and I would not want to lose the Cove (in an attempt to keep the CB stuff) as I would like to be able to return some of what I gained from the wealth of knowledge found here. :bigwave:

E

energy

I just have to ask...

ddhartma said:
and I would not want to lose the Cove (in an attempt to keep the CB stuff) as I would like to be able to return some of what I gained from the wealth of knowledge found here.

Dave,

Might I inquire where you got the notion that attempting to retain a limited CB thread may cause you to lose the Cove? Did I miss something? Are you reading that into the Posts here? Help me understand. :frust:

I added this from Marc's announcement: For those of you who want to keep this forum open, I will consider it only if someone starts a thread in which users -YOU - come up with a set of posting guidelines. Even if the forum is retained, it will be 'pruned' of ALL threads except the guidelines thread - if you want to do it.

We have started the thread and the conditions are clear. Yes, Marc will consider it. Can't ask for more than that. He doesn't say that kissing up, clouding the issues and dragging this thing out will cause the closing of the CB Forum or the Cove. But, that just may work, if it continues. We're not lawyers and we do not have to everything "codified". If the Forum gets out of hand, it's gone for good. Plain and simple. As for definitions, one just has to visit the "Excellence" thread to see what it means. Let's finalize this thing. The poll, indicates an acceptance of the conditions Marc has spelled out. Let's submit it to the Boss for approval and be done with it. :agree:

Last edited by a moderator:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
energy said:
Might I inquire where you got the notion that attempting to retain a limited CB thread may cause you to lose the Cove? Did I miss something? Are you reading that into the Posts here? Help me understand.

My interpretation of Dave's thinking is that some people may stop coming to the Cove if they lose the CB forum (then they were coming for the wrong reason in the first place) and/or may stop coming because of a perceived sensorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom