Cognos Feedback - Cognos BI software from IBM - What your thoughts?

J

jasonb067

I am curious if anyone is currently or using or has in the past used Cognos BI software from IBM and if so what your thoughts?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Cognos Feedback

I am curious if anyone is currently or using or has in the past used Cognos BI software from IBM and if so what your thoughts?
As a former "power user," I was invited by IBM early last year (2009) to attend an evening-long demo of the software and to meet current users.

I did not have a current need for the software and have not purchased the software since the demo.

I admit the "happy users" were cherry-picked by IBM, but they seemed genuinely happy and had many good things to say about IBM folks helping in the setup and transition from legacy software to Cognos.

If you are currently using Cognos, and are unhappy, haul the IBM folks in and get them to make you a happy user.

If you are contemplating the purchase (IT AIN'T CHEAP), ask to visit and see in-place Cognos software on the job at some organization of similar size to yours and ask those users directly.

I'm pretty sure no organization exists where EVERY member of the organization would shill for IBM, so you will probably get some honest answers from actual users you meet.

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator

In my previous life, the company used Cognos for a variety of reporting needs. There were certain reports on raw material suppliers that I pulled to generate graphs. As I recall, it was a bit awkward and difficult to find all the information I needed. It was sensitive ("touchy"), too, so I had to be careful not to choose the wrong option lest I had to start over. The "drill downs" were a bit tricky to learn, too, but once I got the hang of it, I was okay with it.

My overall experience with it was not one I'd enjoy repeating. :(

J

jasonb067

Just to provide a bit more detail. We are currently in the process of shopping and are seriously considering purchase.

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Just to provide a bit more detail. We are currently in the process of shopping and are seriously considering purchase.

If you could have someone come in and go through a demo with you, letting you use the program first, it might be helpful in gauging whether it's something that would be beneficial enough to outweigh any negative aspects. (I'm sure you already know that, though...;) )

Top Bottom