College Student, looking for advice on Engineering

T

That Guy 78

Hello All,
I am currently working on an engineering degree. I want to become a Quality Engineer with an emphases on production quality. I used to be a Field service tech for a company you other quality guys might have heard of...QualMark. They manufacture and maintain environmental test equipment/chambers...Through my experiences with them both working in the lab running the chambers and with field service I fell in love with the quality engineering field. What extra courses besides all the friggin math should i take...any certificate programs? should I try to Co-op while I am in my junior year to gain some Engineering experience? Any info would help greatly. Thanks for your time.
Ken

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello there, Ken! Welcome to the Cove!

Man oh man, do I remember being in college; wondering what I should do. Strange, I couldn't be any further from where I thought I would be. Three lifetimes have occurred since I graduated.:sleep:My gosh, I'm putting myself to sleep!:lmao:

Well, anyway... I digress.

This is just my opinion, so discount it as much. Your engineering degree should be pretty good to get you started. You mentioned something that I personally feel is invaluable-a COOP program. Get out there in the field and get experience that you will never get in the classroom. Also, a CO-OP is an excellent way to make some contacts and get your foot in the door later. Don't worry about pay. Consider this-you're paying money for classes; so even if you work for free, you're still better off, aren't you?

You have had a pot of value many college grads don't get; you have already worked and seen what you enjoy doing.

There is always a valuable place for individuals who can perform stability studies, mapping, validation work, troubleshooting, etc.

If there are any courses on validation, documentation, etc., that might be a decent minor to pick up.

Mainly, focus your time on getting the best GPA possible. That will do more allowing you to get the job offers you would desire.

Good luck, and again, welcome!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome Ken!

Definitely try to do the co op thing. Nowadays I have heard that it's fast becoming a requirement anyway.

If I could add anything it would be to take some business and/or finance classes too, so you can become acquainted with the world where Management lives.

I hate to say this because I feel like a sellout, but if you get a chance to do Six Sigma I think it would help you. Thanks to Jack Welch the two things that laypeople think about where quality are concerned are GE's 6S and The Toyota Way. Getting a knowledge base with one or either of these should help you gain favor when it comes to seeking paid work. Before we become quality engineers with value in or own right, we must find a place to do our work.

Don't be a stranger, let us know how yoiu are getting along!

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
If there are 3 courses that i would recommend here they are:
1. Basic Statistics
2. Basic computer programming
3. Basic financial/managerial accounting.

The 3rd one may not be of obvious benefit, but actually it prepares you to the management path. Remeber, even engineers often need to communicate in terms of money.

T

That Guy 78

Thank you ALL for your advice. I do agree with the first post with having real world experience in the field I am studying for is a great advantage over other students. My father used to be in charge of the CO-OP program with KODAK in NY...but that has long since passed...back before KODAK got sued by POLAROID for copyright infringement...(SP?) I appreciate all your help and have to add that its hard to talk to a councler about the degree that I want to achieve when its not listed in any of the transfer books for any of the major schools in Colorado...What schools did ya'll graduate with quality engineer degree's from?

thanks once again for your time and advice.

KEN

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I did three co-op semesters in college - all of them in quality. It's definitely worthwhile to do at least one.
...What schools did ya'll graduate with quality engineer degree's from?
I graduated with a degree in Manufacturing Engineering Technology. You don't have to have a degree in Quality Engineering to be a quality engineer...

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
I did three co-op semesters in college - all of them in quality. It's definitely worthwhile to do at least one.

I graduated with a degree in Manufacturing Engineering Technology. You don't have to have a degree in Quality Engineering to be a quality engineer...

I agree. Im a industrial engineer. And most of the quality tools i learned outside the walls of the university. Schooling only prepared me so that i can absorb it easier.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
yep, my degree is in architectural technology....of course, that was a long, long time ago:mg: back when people still used pencils drafting boards and T-squares, and a draftsman was a draftsman, no matter if you were male or female.

Top Bottom