Combination Products - Distributor of the device?

Hello,

My company is marketing authorization holder of combination products, both single-entity and co-packaged. We are wondering, if under MDR we become distributor of the device part supplied as part of the combination product or if simply Article 117 applies to us.

So far we have 2 opinions, 1 from a consultant saying we are not distributor.

Has anyone here experience with this?

Thank you for any input!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Welcome to the joys of Article 117 :eek:

Regarding the single-entity combination product, Article 117 modifies the text of the pharma directive 2001/83/EC to say you need an opinion of conformity with Annex 1 of the MDR from a notified body. There is no requirement to comply with the other parts of the MDR, such as the articles for distributors. So the consultant is correct.

However, for the co-packaged product, if the device part is CE Marked as a medical device, it has to comply with all the MDR, potentially including the distributor requirements.

Thank you chris1price!

For single-entity with a device with no CE mark this is also my understanding.

However, would you also say only Article 117 applies even if the device part of the single-entity combination is CE marked and therefore again the whole MDR must be complied with by the supplier?

For co-packaged we will get another opinion from another consultant but so far, suppliers are pushing us to sign new QAAs stating that we are the distributor.

I believe no one is really 100% sure how to handle combination products in the EU properly :eek:

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
You are correct, if the device part of a single-entity combination product is CE Marked, then you must comply with the whole MDR for that device.

If another company is CE Marking the device in the co-packed product, you are likely to be the distributor.

L_O_B

Involved In Discussions
Hi ComboConfused

The information you provided may be a little thin.
In Europe the term "combination product" is not defined. We have integral drug device combinations as described in 2017/745 article 1(8) and 1(9). A medical device co-packaged with a medicinal product is no such combination. I asked the EMA about this and got the following answer:

"If the empty syringe is co-packaged with the vial it is not considered an integral Drug-Device Combinations, even if it has been specifically designed for a single medicinal product."

Therefore, the medical device and the medicinal product must comply with applicable legislation. They are not a combination product, but two separate products packaged together. They could be treated as a procedure pack as defined in 2017/745, but this does not relieve you from complying with respective legislation. Thus, in a case where you have a co-packaged products that do not fulfil the scenario described in article 1(9) and you are not the manufacturer of the device, I would expect you to comply with the requirements for distributors.

Hi L_O_B

let me specify: we have both integral drug device combinations and non integral drug device combinations as defined by EMA in a guideline from 2019: draft-guideline-quality-requirements-drug-device-combinations_en (I am not yet allowed to post links unfortunately)

for integral drug device combinations we are likely not distributor of the device, but for the non-integral it is nowhere specifically defined.

For sure, each part of the non-integral DDC must comply with its respective regulations, but in the end we are MAH of a non-integral drug device combination product, but are we also distributor of the device component? It could be.

We anyhow comply with most requirements already, but some would mean a lot of additional workload, therefore I really want to make sure we are legally seen as a distributor.

L_O_B

Involved In Discussions
Hi ComboConfused,

I may have a biased view here, since I am mostly involved in the medical device industry and I only get in touch with medicinal products, whenever a medical device gets combined with a medicinal product.

I agree that you are not a distributor by the meaning of the MDR for the integral DDC. The device does not have a market access on its own and therefore there cannot be a distributor.

In case of the non-integral DDC, the dossier for the marketing authorization does not claim that the device itself is suitable for the market, but that the two products are safe to be used in combination. From the perspective of the regulation you still just buy a medical device and sell it on without alteration.
For me this sounds like you should comply with the distributor requirements. What makes you doubt that?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Combination Products MAA in Europe Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Examples of Combination Products - MDR Article 1 (8) and MDR Article 1(9) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Combination products - examples CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Compatibility studies for Combination Products - Europe Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Europe GMP medical devices - Combination products - Ancillary medicinal substance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Postmarketing Safety Reporting for Combination Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EMA – Consultation on draft guideline on quality requirements for medical devices in combination products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA draft guidance – Principles of Premarket Pathways for Combination Products; Draft Guidance for Industry; Availability Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Design history files for combination products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
AnaMariaVR2 The Essential Guide to Combination Products cGMPs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
F DIA (Drug Information Association) Conference on Combination Products EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F What Combination (Combined Advanced Therapy Product) Products are Approved in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Format of Device Master Record (DMR) for Combination Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
O Experience with IMB as Competent Authority of Drug Device Combination Products? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Combination Product - New MAA EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Compatibility studies - combination product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
N Is this a single integral drug device combination product EU MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B Accessible parts per 8.4.2 b) - Touch currents in combination with MOOP or MOPP? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Release testing for Combination Drug-Medical Device Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A UDI requirements for pre-filled combination devices - Box containing a pre-filled device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Definition of Convenience Kit for a Combination Product US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
V Submission for a cross-labelled combination product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
I Label Expiration Date - Single Use Combination Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
V For a Drug-Device Combination Product, 'Design Control' Process is triggered at? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B Will FDA Inspect a New Coating Supplier for a Class III Combination Medical Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Shelf Life of Combination Sets for Class II Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Design Controls for Combination Drug Product Manufacturer (ANDA) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Development Meeting with the FDA - Approval Pathway for a Combination Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Upgrading Systems from CFR 211 to CFR 820 (drug+device combination) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Article 12 Combination Device Registration With Competent Authority CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
S Is Combination Product regulation available for Europe? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Combination Product South Africa CTD Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Any advice for my Pre Approval Inspection (PAI) for Combination product ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
V Combination of software used as a single medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Contract Manufacturer - Product Identification for Combination medical device Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
Q CAPA - Combination of similar issues from different audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Best format for a combination ISO 9001/ISO 13485 Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
N Japan Combination Medical Device Product Regulations and Requirements Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
I What are examples of a Combination Product (Medical device and Pharmaceutical) ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
W FDA Preapproval Inspection - Submitting a 505b2 for a combination product to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Books that have a combination of ISO 13485 and FDA Title 21 CFR Part 820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
E Harms Severity Scoring - Combination of Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
A Establishment Registration Requirements - Combination Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J ISO 22000, PAS 220 and HACCP Combination. Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 10
R Combination of Text and Flowchart based Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
I Analyte Specific Reagents (FDA requirements) for combination Antibodies US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
A Combination Product - Legacy Drugs and Reclassification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Michael Malis The FDA proposes to amend the combination product regulation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P Standard for Microbial Limits for a Combination Device - Impregnated Retraction Cord EU Medical Device Regulations 1