Combining high Cpk (3, 4 or 5) with a set of XR charts

M

margherita

I don't know how to I can combine high Cpk (3, 4 or 5) with a set of XR charts.
Too often the process uses (control limits) only a little part of the tollerance. It is in control but sometime the operator has to adjust it because there is an out of control signal or because the process changes, for any reason, its position.
Too often it is difficult to understand this change because it is too small.
Can anybody suggest me a more powerful SPC tool?
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura M

I've come across this in machining appliations and went to individuals and moving range charts (I-MR). Often times within subgroup variation was so small that it drove "artificially" narrow control limits. With R-bar being next to zero, the slightest mean shift makes the next subgroup go out when you are still well within tolerance range. Don't know if this is what you are experiencing or not, but my first suggestion would be to make sure you have rational subgroups.

Laura

L

Laura M

Have you tried this? Did it help? Anyone else out there have any other ideas? Just thought I'd bring this one to the top of the pile again to see if there are other ideas out there.

D

Don Winton

Well, I am back. My apologies for the delay.

I don't know how to I can combine high CPK (3, 4 or 5) with a set of XR charts.

I assume we are speaking of Xbar-R charts. What follows assumes so.

Too often the process uses (control limits) only a little part of the tolerance.

If this is the case, you would probably want to evaluate whether a control chart would add value at all. Too often, we tend to see the chart as a required item when in actuality it is not. Determine if the chart would add value then determine if the chart is useful. From the brief synopsis above, it sorta sounds you have a solution looking for a problem.

It is in control but sometime the operator has to adjust it because there is an out of control signal or because the process changes, for any reason, its position.

Sounds like you may want to chart the inputs to the process rather than the outputs. Just a thought.

Can anybody suggest me a more powerful SPC tool?

There may be several. For example, you could use a variation on Laura M’s suggestion. You could chart the process capability rather than the process using the X-mR chart, you could use Xbar charts on the inputs rather than the outputs or ignore charts altogether and concentrate on process capability as a metric of your process. The choice is up to you. Be certain a chart is your best choice.

Now, a Rant.

It is a mistake to try to push an SPC apparatus where it neither adds value nor contributes to your productivity. Haphazardly using SPC usually causes more harm than good. This should be foremost on your mind.

End Rant.

Regards,
Don

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Combining 3 ISO 9001 registrations into 1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Combining ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949:2016 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Gantt Chart / Time Tracker in Excel - Combining Tasks on the Same Line Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
M Combining FMEA, CP and Kano FMEA and Control Plans 5
G Combining ISO 9001 and TS 16949 External Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Combining Internal & External Corrective Action Requests Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
T Combining multiple lots of the same raw component for packaging or kitting 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Combining a CAR, an NCR, and an Accident Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Combining existing 510(k)s into a new 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C The prudence of combining non-conformance reports with corrective/preventive action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
B Combining both Deviation and Non-Conformance Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Combining Sector Specific Quality Standards - TS 16949, AS9100 and ISO 9001 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Icy Mountain Combining ISO9001 and ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G Combining Aspect Impact and Hazard Risk Register Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
K Combining ISO9001:2008 in Two Facilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N Combining Multiple CARs (Corrective Action Request) into One CAR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
N Combining both Corrective Action and Preventive action procedures into one SOP Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
S Combining (aka "Bridging") ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 20000 IT (Information Technology) Service Management 5
M Combining EcoDesign with Compliance (Product Safety/EMC) Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
K Combining AS9100 Procedures AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Timber Harvest Weight - Combining Error between Model & Sample in JPM Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Combining Quality Systems (Manuals, etc.) in two Companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Combining AS9100, ISO 9001, & PRI (NADCAP) into 1 Internal Audit Internal Auditing 8
N Combining two time series graphs and putting a break line between them Using Minitab Software 5
A Combining Lots under ANSI/ASQC Z1.4 Inspection Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Combining Separate Document Management Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Combining a Process Map and Written Procedure Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 44
Z Combining Several Systems into One - ISO9001 + ISO14001 + OHSAS18001 (etc) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
W Combining documentation (elements/processes) TS16949, ISO14001 & OHSAS18001 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
M Combining Data - Measured sizes of hole diameter onto one chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Pros and cons for combining ISO 14001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
K Combining ISO17025 with ISO9001 Documentation - Product is standard solutions ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T SA 8000:2001 + ISO 9001:2000 - Combining SA8000 with our ISO system Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
I Combining Corrective Action / NCP / Customer Complaint Documentation Customer Complaints 8
D Capability Studies - Combining parts from two lots Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R DFMEA/PFMEA mitigation of high severity (9-10) in low volume products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T How to justify this High %Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Performance of high shear mixer (or rapid mixing granulator Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B HIGH QA Software - Auto ballooning software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
F 5520A High Performance Multi-Product Calibrators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
N Use part of high risk device for establishing low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational EU – Candidate List of substances of very high concern for Authorisation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational From RAPS – Another Notified Body Bows Out Ahead of EU MDR: ‘Investment Too High’ Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0