Combining ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949:2016

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
So we are reworking out QMS to comply with the updated versions of the standards. We have been TS/QS for 12-15 years or so. Based on recent changes to both the standard and our customer base, we are dropping down to ISO 9001. But we will still have a good automotive presence (We went from 50% auto to 20% auto simply because auto no longer considers off road as applicable). So there still we be a push from our customers to go IATF, but we'll wait until things settle in a bit. As such, there is still the expectation that we be "compliant."

So as we revise our new system towards the new requirements we will include bits and pieces of IATF. Some may be immediately applicable, so may be for future implementation. For example, IATF requires customer specific requirements to be included in the scope. Or it requires Total Productive Maintenance. Or soupped up auditor training. Etc.

My question is, as we go for an ISO 9001 cert, will auditors consider the IATF requirements we have built into our system, but not yet implemented? Or would this trigger a bunch of non-conformances?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
My question is, as we go for an ISO 9001 cert, will auditors consider the IATF requirements we have built into our system, but not yet implemented? Or would this trigger a bunch of non-conformances?
As someone who's had a chance to audit hundreds of organizations against ISO 9001, I can tell you that I've NEVER audited an organization which did not go above and beyond the minimum requirements of the standard. When you are defining the processes that support your QMS, according to ISO 9001:2015, 4.4.1.c), you must determine and apply the criteria and methods....that means, you have to define the processes as they are supposed to run. If the process includes bits and pieces of the IATF 16949:2016 requirements, so be it. But it is your organization's QMS process and you will be audited against your own set of requirements, irrespective of the source.

As for effectivity date of requirements, you obviously have latitude to enforce them at a later date, provided no customer requirement is being violated.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
As someone who's had a chance to audit hundreds of organizations against ISO 9001, I can tell you that I've NEVER audited an organization which did not go above and beyond the minimum requirements of the standard. When you are defining the processes that support your QMS, according to ISO 9001:2015, 4.4.1.c), you must determine and apply the criteria and methods....that means, you have to define the processes as they are supposed to run. If the process includes bits and pieces of the IATF 16949:2016 requirements, so be it. But it is your organization's QMS process and you will be audited against your own set of requirements, irrespective of the source.

As for effectivity date of requirements, you obviously have latitude to enforce them at a later date, provided no customer requirement is being violated.

So IATF requires things like a lab scope and control plans according to annex a (and the aiag reference manual). Would an ISO auditor be "competent" to audit those and similar documents?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Remember, it is not the IATF requiring it. It is your system. And, yes, the auditor will be deemed fully competent.

Top Bottom