I found this article on MSN.com:

Comcast blocks some Internet traffic
Tests confirm data discrimination by number 2 U.S. service provider

Comments?

Stijloor.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Not really new - See Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible from August. What Comast really wants is to reduce bandwidth use by its customers.

And Comcast is rather famous for not caring about its customers. Recently a little old lady took a hammer to Comcast. Apparently fed up with the lousy service she received from a botched Comcast installation of "triple-play", and a completely humiliating experience at a customer service center, 75-year-old Mona "The Hammer" Shaw took her claw hammer back to the customer service center and bludgeoned the office equipment into tiny plastic pieces.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Recently a little old lady took a hammer to Comcast. Apparently fed up with the lousy service she received from a botched Comcast installation of "triple-play", and a completely humiliating experience at a customer service center, 75-year-old Mona "The Hammer" Shaw took her claw hammer back to the customer service center and bludgeoned the office equipment into tiny plastic pieces.

While her actions are obviously illegal, I can certainly understand where she's coming from. I can think of a few (service-type) businesses where Mona's hard-hitting "motivational and awareness" services could make make a difference. :D

Stijloor.

T

tomvehoski

After my last encounter with Comcast a couple years ago I realized why they sit behind bullet proof glass at the payment center. They started charging me $3 per month to rent the cable modem I had owned for five years. They insisted I prove I owned it. I told them to prove THEY owned it, since everyone there was signing paperwork for whatever equipment they took. I ended up canceling the following week. They then sent me a bill for $50 for not returning MY modem. They started threatening to send me to collections because they would not resolve it. I finally got it solved by a friend of a friend who was a project manager there.

They ended up losing a 12+ year customer over a $3 bogus charge they refused to look into.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Ditto about Comcast. Monopoly behavior at its worst.

I recently called with a technical question about connecting my new Tivo to Comcast cable. The 1-800 number "customer no service" could not answer my questions. I asked if they could connect me to some one with technical knowledge. No one available. The only thing they could offer was, sending a technician to visit me and help me. Ofcourse there would be a fee for this "service". I asked if I could speak to a supervisor, the answer was that all supervisors were busy. I left my phone number, so that a supervisor could call me back later. No one from comcast ever called back. (I was able to solve the problem through a TIVO community forum after a few days).

Comcast is the only provider right now in my area (except for satellite, but too many tree around my house causing issues), I am stuck....

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Ditto about Comcast. Monopoly behavior at its worst.

. . .

Comcast is the only provider right now in my area (except for satellite, but too many tree around my house causing issues), I am stuck....
I have a similar problem vis a vis cable versus satellite - the official report by Direct TV was "no line of sight."

I have DSL which has continuously degraded in speed since I got it. Since it merged with SBC, AT+T service is simply nonexistent.

Cable and the phone company continually shrink service and raise prices. Their time is priced at $100/hour - the consumer's time has NO VALUE in any aspect of dealing with these monopolistic services.

The lack of a viable competitor makes the poor service even more of an insult. It smacks of
"Got a quarter? Call somebody who cares!" attitude by everyone from the direct contact installers up to the top officer of the company.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Internet Access: I have Time-Warner Roadrunner in Cincinnati. They have what they call a 'Tech Worker' package that's US$60 a month. That's for 7 megs down (I typically see about 12 Mbps down) and 756K up. I've had RR for over a year after many years with Cincinnati Bell, first as dial-up, then to two ADSL lines and finally DSL. DSL was OK for the first couple of years but went down hill fast. I was also down every time it stormed out. I had people from Cinti Bell here at least 6 times and all they could do was cite my distance from the CO and old lines on my road. They were very good about trying (no complaints about customer service at all), but they just never could keep my speed up.

After switching to Roadrunner I freaked out. It's so fast I'm still impressed. I haven't needed customer service yet. I did try RR a few years back but back then there were problems getting my local LAN to show and some other things and their customer service sucked bad so I canceled it and stayed with Cinti Bell's DSL until I just couldn't take it any more. Between then and my current install they did change boxes and my local LAN works fine. Haven't been down once. I haven't needed customer service, but if it's like it was back when I 'trialed' it some years back, it sucks. But then again, since I have a business package they have a named 'rep' with a direct phone number assigned, so if I do run into problems I may get better service than in the past. They also have a special customer support number for people with business packages.

TV: I have Dish satellite and have had for years. I also have my own 36" satellite dish on a rotor, a Coolsat 5000 receiver and get a lot of FTA (Free To Air) 'channels'. Luckily I have a clear southern view out over a horse pasture so I can pick up any satellite visible from my latitude and longitude. I've never needed customer service so I can't comment on that aspect of Dish.

Top Bottom