Definition Commercial Distribution - Definition - Scope of Commercial Distribution

funkgirl

Involved In Discussions
Hi! I am trying to find confirmation that the definition of "commercial distribution" in 807.3(b) includes devices for human use that are sold, provided at no-charged and/or loaned to a customer?

One of our R&D staff seems to believe that full design validation isn't required if the device will initially be provided to a small number of KOLs for free, with the intent that the devices be used on humans. This is not a clinical study and there is no IDE - it's a limited market release.

Please help me put this madness to bed! :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Regulatory isn't my thing but I'll reply and maybe stimulate some other responses.

It sounds to me like you're distributing a medical device. (And that's a "Period!" with appropriate emphasis). Thus, you should meet all the requirements of the Quality System Regulation. I don't see how that could be interpreted otherwise. To me, you should only provide the devices if you conduct all the efforts required to clear your device for distribution (e.g., 510(k), PMA, etc.).

Consider the ramifications if an adverse event occurred with one of the individuals using it.

Instead of asking your R&D staff, I'd suggest consulting whomever you have for regulatory.

funkgirl

Involved In Discussions
Thanks!

I AM Regulatory, but there is a particular R&D person who constantly argues with me about regulatory requirements - particularly design controls. For some reason, he feels that my 20 years in the industry and Masters in RA doesn't seem to trump his PhD in Chemistry with no prior device manufacturing experience, so every single project is a battle to force him to do things properly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Medical Device not on commercial distribution but installed in the establishment. 510k? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
P Commercial excel templates that calculate overhead, hourly rates, fee proposal Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 0
DMLqms Country of Origin on Commercial Invoices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Qualifying commercial off the shelf (COTS) external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
DuncanGibbons To what extent are NASA standards applicable to commercial aviation? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
B IATF 16949 Cl. 4.3.2 - CSR vs Commercial Agreements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
shimonv Creating a new commercial product based on a modification to an existing product Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Ajit Basrur How do I label this commercial product ready for clinical study? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Design exclusion in AS9100D for commercial products AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
P What is expected in a Medical Device Commercial Release Procedure Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Commercial tablet as an "accessory" for a medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R Control of COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) Specifications ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) Validation FDA Requirements Software Quality Assurance 4
E Commercial Laboratory Audit Tips ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Commercial Grade Supplier Surveys - Not qualifed 10CFR50 Appendix B or NQA-1 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S ISO 15189 - When commercial QC Material is not available Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
B Commercial Calibration Laboratory Software Recommendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
T ISO 17025 - 4.1.5b Internal/External commercial, financial, and other pressures ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
B List of all Auto Parts in a Commercial Vehicle Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
C Apostille of French Commercial Documents for the Republic of Turkey EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H Certification of a large commercial helicopter acc. AC29-2C / CS29 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
V Common Root Cause for Failures in Scaleup & Commercial (Validation) Batches 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Regulatory Value of Commercial Documents (Brochures, Marketing Leaflets, etc.) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Everything to AS9100 vs. ISO 9001? Commercial Jobs require AS9100 "Extras"? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
S Regulatory requirements for Commercial Medical Devices for sale in Europe ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Ideas on how to differentiate jobs (AS9100 jobs vs. "commercial" jobs) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
L COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) Parts with AS9102 FAI? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
Jim Wynne "Massive" Epsilon Interactive Commercial Email Breach After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
B Commercial Grade Dedication requirements for a 10CFR50 Appendix B Manufacturer Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 8
S Risk Management in terms of Technical and Commercial Failure (Disaster Recovery) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Commercial Measurement of Raw Materials/Production etc. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B References for GMP Consultants in Illinois (trade/commercial printer/packaging) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
N COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) Computers - Warranty return rate? Benchmarking 3
Pancho Oquma - a new QMS-on-wiki commercial offering Imported Legacy Blogs 3
D ITAR/EAR and effects on commercial Heat Treating AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Dutch Commercial & Environmental legal requirements for enterprises Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
A Packaging Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) Products as a Single System Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Purchase ? Guidelines - Technical and Commercial Evaluation Guidelines for Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Taking Lean beyond 5S - Commercial Printer Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
R LCD-TFT screen with player for publicity film - Commercial device CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D Commercial and AS9100 operation AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
ISOsandy Looking to expand into Commercial Nuclear Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
I Validation of Commercial off-the-shelf software - Spreadsheets ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
W What Commercial (off the shelf) QMS Software are you using - Any Recommendations? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
A Process for receiving functions - COTS (commercial off the shelf) vs Custom parts. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
W ISO 9001 certification (registration) requirements - No commercial product or service ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
R Certificate of compliance (C of C) DOD requirements for commercial items in products Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
L Any tips on setting up a Quality Management System for a Commercial Printer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Marc No Commercial Advertisements Allowed In This Forum Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 8
M Commercial Quality Assurance Software (ie: SAP) vs. Custom Databases Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12