Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Communication - Breaching the Toughest Wall

Randy

Super Moderator
I guess I'll give this a shot.

I originally started to write this for the "International Environmental System Update" published at the time by BSI. The newsletter was sold and the new "management" refused to acknowledge my attempts to contact them on putting this article to print. I had previously been published in IESU but I guess my breath smelled bad or my hair wasn't combed to their satisfaction. Most likely "Snobs" and "Snots".

I digress...Take a gander and don't spare the commentary

Thanks

Attachments

J

Jonell

Randy,

Very well written, and I'm sure that many of us here can relate to this article.

Bravo!
Jonell

B

barbt

great article, - was there more? I wanted to keep reading, to find out how to begin solving the people issue in communication. You could have been describing our organization, and our current challenges.

I am looking for solutions as well,
a) how to get management to recognize their role/ importance in the communication
b) how to break the barriers set up in each of the functional areas.

I am certain there is no magic pill, - so far, customers are the only ones who can 'speak' to management, in that they either purchase or they don't. the bottom line speaks clearly.

Comments?

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trusted
Randy,

I agree that communication is one of the most significant problems in many organizations today. I tell folks that it is amazing to me that I can reach into my pocket and call across the country or acros the world in seconds, but we cannot seem to get a message safely across the plant in a days time without problems and difficulty. So I think you nailed a big problem.

But I did notice several grammatical and punctuation errors. I'm guessing you did not send it for publication like this but maybe typed it w/o proofing for here?

J

Jim Howe

barbt said:
great article, - was there more? I wanted to keep reading, to find out how to begin solving the people issue in communication. You could have been describing our organization, and our current challenges.

I am looking for solutions as well,
a) how to get management to recognize their role/ importance in the communication
b) how to break the barriers set up in each of the functional areas.

I am certain there is no magic pill, - so far, customers are the only ones who can 'speak' to management, in that they either purchase or they don't. the bottom line speaks clearly.

Comments?
I agree with you! I want more! Hopefully Randy will pursue your questions and respond on future post.
I thought the article was off to a great start and then was accidently terminated. Give us more Randy!
Jim Howe :applause:

L

little__cee

Excellent

Add my name to the list of those who thought the article was excellent.

It reminded me of a story which I will condense for posting here. The story was to illustrate the differences between men and women and communication and went something like this:

Man wakes up in the morning and thinks "I love my wife. What can I do nice for her today? I know, I'll wash her car" and he goes outside to wash her car.

Woman wakes up, man is off to wash the car. Woman thinks "he loves that $*@(! car more than he loves me" and gets angry at him for what he thought was a nice act!

Bottom line: communication IS important! Excellent article.

R

ralphsulser

Randy, I thought this was right on the money. GOOD WORK expressing real world issues we can relate to. Particularly at our plant where the top management are Japanese who speak very little English, and hold info close to their vest. :applause:

Randy

Super Moderator
Mike S. said:
Randy,

But I did notice several grammatical and punctuation errors. I'm guessing you did not send it for publication like this but maybe typed it w/o proofing for here?
I was up until 1AM this morniung editing...Krap :eek:

I wanted to stop where I did, anticipating a continuation or follow-on piece later. I was primarily interested in developing the human dynamic at primal level. (Is primal the right word?)

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trusted
Randy said:
I was up until 1AM this morniung editing...Krap :eek:

I wanted to stop where I did, anticipating a continuation or follow-on piece later. I was primarily interested in developing the human dynamic at primal level. (Is primal the right word?)
BTW, I wasn't trying to be a "smart azz" by mentioning that. I seem to be the only guy who mentioned anything negative and I don't wanna appear petty. It just seemed very out of sort for a guy of your intelligence and experience writing semi-formally for the public, so I figured something was weird. No biggie. :agree:

C

Craig H.

Mike S. said:
BTW, I wasn't trying to be a "smart azz" by mentioning that. I seem to be the only guy who mentioned anything negative and I don't wanna appear petty. It just seemed very out of sort for a guy of your intelligence and experience writing semi-formally for the public, so I figured something was weird. No biggie. :agree:

Actually, I must admit sending Randy an email about the same thing before reading the rest of the posts. It is quite clear that even through the late night editing "noise" (interference with communication) he still hit a nerve, so the message came through loud and clear. If it had not come from Randy (or several others here) I would have ignored the errors, much as many of my grammatical gaffes go unmentioned...

As far as the communications side goes, well sometimes :bonk:

Craig

Top Bottom