Informational Companies with No SIGNIFICANT Environmental Aspects - ISO 14001

C

CINDY

I think that every company has at least one or two SEA or SAI. We have controlled our impacts way before we had a management system to control them. Every company also has legal requirements that apply to them. Even a one person, at home, office has some legal requirements and has outputs that can be considered. I felt like some of you when I first developed our system. Now that our system is a year old, we have added aspects and impacts because as a company we want to monitor them. If nothing else, landfill waste, electronic waste, recycling, safety, and resource conservation should be on the list. Just my 2 cents worth.

Cindy

S

SteelWoman

Okay.. but....

'Less I'm just crazy (ignore the crowd of witnesses ready to testify to that) when we sat down as a group to identify the environmental aspects for our business we were challenged to INCLUDE "what if's" in our scoring - we had a "key" provided to our management team when we sat down to score the aspects that included potentialities - what if scenarios for each of the aspects. So while I understand what you're saying, I think we've already considered the "cans" in our scoring process.

D

darkgelap

Accounting firm eh? So can we like consider the aspects of them driving their car to client premises has an significant impact to the environment? So they would have to maintain their car and abide by the law of their country of smoke emission of the transport.

Can we, can we huh?

Randy

Super Moderator
Simply put...yes.

If you wanted, you could list exhaled breath as a contributor to global warming (CO2).

But yes, the car exhaust could be an aspect.

Steel,

What if = Can.

C

Craig H.

Sidney Vianna said:
The ANAB Advisory on situations like the one described in this thread is here.

We are just now discussing 14001, so I am new to this...

So, if I did have a one-person company, and everything I did was on my computer, then I would need to determine that energy use (computer, lights, heat) was an aspect and the impact was the resulting pollution caused by most forms of power generation and distribution in order to get 14001 certification, right?

Randy

Super Moderator
To a certain degree. The are potentially dozens of other "aspects" related to this relatively benign scenario to choose from. You gotta have at least one regardless.

B

barath

Re: ISO 14001 with No SIGNIFICANT Environmental Aspects - Small Service Company

We also facing the same type of situation like u.

I have posted my EIA table for a trading company (scrap metals)

As there r no serious processes involved (only compressing and packing)

I think the impact on the environment is not serious.Also got positive impact on environment.

All the aspects found were not significant.

Pls advice.

Attachments

• EIA table-2.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 911

As this is YOUR EMS, you have to decide what is a "significant" aspect; it appears that you have chosen RPN = 25 as the threshold for identifying an aspect as "significant". What happens if you choose RPN=20 ? Quite a few of your aspects will become "significant". This helps you to continually improve your environmental performance.

By the way, the POSITIVE IMPACT you refer to does not come out in the table you have attached....to me a POSITIVE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT, in almost all cases, is nothing but a reduced negative environmental impact.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

We also facing the same type of situation like u.

I have posted my EIA table for a trading company (scrap metals)

As there r no serious processes involved (only compressing and packing)

I think the impact on the environment is not serious.Also got positive impact on environment.

All the aspects found were not significant.

Pls advice.

Welcome Barath,

I had opportunities to study the operations of a few scrap metal dealers in my country before and am surprised if your findings indicate no serious impact to the environment. Most scrap metal, especially the industrial scraps and container types are tainted with the material (be it oil, chemical or others) they contain or come into contact. Some may had been cleaned but traces are still there. Unless you had done some chemical analysis, I believe it's not a good assumption.

While on this interesting topic, I would like to find out from our more experienced Covers whether an 'influenced aspect' can become a significant aspect in a situation where it's claimed that there are no significant aspects.

The reason I asked is because a lot a scrap traders collected cleaned scraps (at least in my country) in order to satisfy their EMS requirements. They knew very well that the scrap collectors burned wires for example to recover the copper and dumped chemical drums into rivers to clean it before selling it to the dealers.

Top Bottom