Informational Companies with No SIGNIFICANT Environmental Aspects - ISO 14001

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO 14001 with No SIGNIFICANT Environmental Aspects - Small Service Company

We are just now discussing 14001, so I am new to this...

So, if I did have a one-person company, and everything I did was on my computer, then I would need to determine that energy use (computer, lights, heat) was an aspect and the impact was the resulting pollution caused by most forms of power generation and distribution in order to get 14001 certification, right?

Don't forget electronics have harmful things in them. And there are always the opportunitys for spills and leaks in the parking lot and also your cleaning products.

You decide whether it is significant.

Randy

Super Moderator

You can not achieve system certification without a significant aspect. (At least by an accredited, honest certification body).

Odds are, you have not properly applied the definition of environmental impact to your significance determination process.

B

barath

hai,

thank you for the comments.

I know the scrap materials contain oil,chemicals etc. but they are not involved in any process.Input and output is the same.

Jus check the quality and category and pack them accordingly.

whether this may lead to any significant impact on environment.Pls verify.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator

Of course, they are part of the process. Without them, you wouldn't have a process. Your scrap might be the input, but your output is probably graded scrap, no?

And yes, there could be an impact on the environment due to contaminents either leaking off/out if this process takes place on bare soil, and also rainfall runoff contamination if you don't have your material under a roof.

M

Marty50

Have I missed the point here.

If I set up an environmental policy for my little business, then identify my aspects but find that none of them have a significant environmental impact, and I promise to review that policy and my aspects and their impacts every year aren't I entitled to accreditation on the grounds that I did the work?

Confused.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

Have I missed the point here.

If I set up an environmental policy for my little business, then identify my aspects but find that none of them have a significant environmental impact, and I promise to review that policy and my aspects and their impacts every year aren't I entitled to accreditation on the grounds that I did the work?

Confused.
Firstly, let's make sure we are using the appropriate terminology: your system would be certified/registered, not accredited. Secondly, according to the US ANAB accreditation body rules, your system could not be certified; check 20. Significant Environmental Aspects and Impacts. Thirdly, significance is a relative term. Significance is to be determined amongst the aspects your organization has. And finally, forgetting all the previous questions: If your small business had no "significant" environmental impact, what is the point of applying for ISO 14001 certification? :bonk:Marketing?

Randy

Super Moderator

Marty50...............you posted this in your Profile and you have now provided evidence of it in 2 postings

How did you find the Elsmar Cove Web Site?:
google
What information are you Searching for?:
have taken a job looking at iso14001 for a large company knowing nothing about it

Company or School Name:
midland brick
Company Product(s), Processes and/or Services:
brick manufacture and sales
Company Size (Number of Employees):
~500
Your Occupation:
project manager/researcher
Phone:
61 892502849
Biography:
retired state manager of govt dept, quals in communication engineering, law and management just come out of retirement to take on project
Interests:
scuba diving, wind surfing, mountain biking, motorcycles, photography

My recommendation would be that you get some education real fast before you get found out.

Nearly every question you may have has already been answered here multiple times....start digging and learn

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator

Marty50, I have to agree that if you have nothing significant, why go with 14001? If you are going to be registered, then look at your aspects, and rate them. Somethings have to be more significant than others.

B

barath

TQ.

Actually all the processes are carried out under the roof and concrete floor.

We notice the hydraulic oil leak during changing the oil but now they have passed that process to vendor.So it was handled by vendor and reduce the impact to environment.

Also if I go for water analysis to check the metal content then may be i can set the sedimentation tank for the heavy metal particles to set down so that the water can go to the river.

No noise in the machines.

No burning of wires as they cut the wire and remove the pvc from copper.pvc also send for recycling.

pls verify.

Randy

Super Moderator

TQ.

Actually all the processes are carried out under the roof and concrete floor.

We notice the hydraulic oil leak during changing the oil but now they have passed that process to vendor.So it was handled by vendor and reduce the impact to environment.

Also if I go for water analysis to check the metal content then may be i can set the sedimentation tank for the heavy metal particles to set down so that the water can go to the river.

No noise in the machines.

No burning of wires as they cut the wire and remove the pvc from copper.pvc also send for recycling.

pls verify.

OK, watch my lips....and please listen to what others have said.

You cannot, I repeat, YOU CANNOT, have a legitimate, EMS based upon ISO 14001:2004 without a single identified significant aspect. It cannot be done, and it will not be accepted by an honest and truly accredited Certification Body! Period.

Somewhere somehow, in whatever you are doing, there is something that either is having or can have a greater potential to effect the environment than something else. The effect can be either positive or negative in nature (no pun intended) it doesn't matter, it is an absolute.

The purpose of an EMS based upon ISO 14001:2004 is to improve environmental performance. If you have nothing to improve upon you are wasting your time and resources and they can probably be better used doing something else.

If anyone tells you different I will openly challenge that person to an open debate at the POINT OF ORIGIN at High Noon during the Dark of the Sun.

Forgive my passion and my feeling the need to use a 12 pound hammer on a 10 penny nail.

Top Bottom