Informational Companies with No SIGNIFICANT Environmental Aspects - ISO 14001

M

Marty50

Re: ISO 14001 with No SIGNIFICANT Environmental Aspects - Small Service Company

I came across this interesting Q&A from the US Technical Advisory Group to ISO Technical Committee 207 Clarification of Intent of ISO14001:2004 at http://standardsgroup.asq.org/environmental-management/COI-2006v6-1107.doc which appeasr to relaet to the original question.

Question
Is it permissible for a small organization to declare that they have no Significant Aspects and still be conformant to the ISO 14001 standard?

Answer
Although there is no explicit requirement in ISO 14001 that an organization will identify one or more significant environmental aspects, there is an underlying assumption that the organization will do so. The intent of the requirement to determine those aspects that an organization considers significant is to enable the organization to focus attention and resources on its most important environmental aspects, recognizing that not all aspects require or deserve the same degree of management. ISO 14001 does not define “significance” nor does it identify any external or absolute standard for what will be considered significant. Significance is intended to be a relative term. What is significant for one organization may not be for another, and what an organization considers a significant aspect may change over time. The use of ‘significance’ in ISO 14001 was intended to be an aid in managing a range of environmental aspects.

There is no special category of requirements in ISO 14001 for “small” organizations. The requirements for an ISO 14001 EMS, including those regarding significant aspects, are intended to apply to “…all types and sizes of organizations…”

:tg:

Randy

Super Moderator

That TC207 statement has been around for a bit, but thanks.

You need to read the attached, because the final answer to the question is NO!

The ANAB advisory carries weight with other CB's and accreditation bodies

Attachments

• ANAB AR13 Significant Aspects.pdf
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,235
G

Gus01

Hi to all,

We are planing the bring our organization to the Enviromental Management System based on ISO 14000 Standards, actually we have ISO9001:2000 SAE AS9100B:2004 Certification. I will like to know if any simple power point presentation is available to show the High level management the implementation planing and all the steps/faces for the implementation.

I have been on this forum for a will and found it as an outstanding tool for people who need to share ideas and achivments. thanks all for been part of our success during this years.

:tg:
Gus

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

I will like to know if any simple power point presentation is available to show the High level management the implementation planing and all the steps/faces for the implementation.
Did you see the presentation available here?

R

ranjitind

Hello,

WE are a small company about 15 employees and are traders, we are into trading of brass components, we basically outsource complete components from our local vendors, then we do quality check, packing and forwarding from our comp. we are also ISO 9001 certified,

My question is now we want to get ISO 14001 certificate and as there are no aspects and imapacts involved over here will we be able to get it then how ? if yes what is the procedure and documents should be put up ?

so someone could please help me

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Hello,

WE are a small company about 15 employees and are traders, we are into trading of brass components, we basically outsource complete components from our local vendors, then we do quality check, packing and forwarding from our comp. we are also ISO 9001 certified,

My question is now we want to get ISO 14001 certificate and as there are no aspects and imapacts involved over here will we be able to get it then how ? if yes what is the procedure and documents should be put up ?

Have you considered aspects that your organization can influence? You may want to read this thread which incidentally is also about a service organization: Environmental Issues - Indirect (influence)/ Direct Aspects

And before I forget, Welcome to the forum, Ranjit.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Hello,

EVERY company has Aspects (company activities that affect the environment). For example, you probably use electricity, water, gas, paper, toner, shipping supplies, pallets, computers and supplies, brass, computer circuits are hazardous or controlled waste, solid waste...

All of these things would be aspects. All have some degree of impact on the planet.After you do this analysis, evaluate the significance of each one, and look for opportunties to reduce or improve the impact.

You can take it a step further. You might be able to influence the practicies of your employees when they are not at work. In their homes and social activities, they have an impact as well.

Granted, you are not a major polluter, but there are things you can do to improve.

R

ranjitind

Friends, Thanks for welcoming me but to be honest I dont get any perfect answer which i was looking for , I want exactly what is the procedure and waht should be aspects and impact ? and wat exactly should be documents like

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Friends, Thanks for welcoming me but to be honest I don't get any perfect answer which I was looking for, I want exactly what is the procedure and what should be aspects and impact? and wat exactly should be documents like

Ranjitind,

I doubt if there are "perfect" answers... Helmut gave you excellent information for consideration which you should use to develop a procedure for your own organization's implementation. Only you know the exact aspects and impacts within your organization. Yes, we can help to point you in the right direction, but some work on your part is expected. Does that sound fair? You also may search the site. There's a lot of excellent information available for you.

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator

The answer you seek is contained within this Thread and is posted in the Cove and there is not perfect answer that fits everyone.......as for aspects...

If your breathing then you are using a natural resource and are creating a greenhous gas

If you drink water you are using a natural rsource and are creating waste

If you generate trash then you are using resources and creating waste

It doesn't matter what you identify as significant, but you have to have something which is important to you and your organization, if not don't waste your time because 14001 is about improvement and not a piece of paper on the wall.

Top Bottom