Company AS9100D External Audit Preparation

TacitBlue

Involved In Discussions
What is the best way to help a company prepare for an upcoming external audit?

I am a compliance manager, and I would like to know if you recommend something we could send out along with our audit notification email to help our people successfully prepare for the AS9100D external audits.

For example, I think an AS9100 prep guide specific to production, purchasing, design, etc., may be valuable.

Would this help or hinder? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Why do people need to prepare? Haven’t they been through internal audits in preparation? Its a similar process, just done by an outsider.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hello TacitBlue,

I don't have a copy of AS9100D in front of me, but if it's consistent with ISO 9001:2015 I would advise your personnel to be ready to respond to questions such as:
  • How they contribute to the Quality Policy's statements (customer satisfaction, conformance to requirements, etc).
  • What could go wrong in their process (risks)
  • How they help make sure those wrong things (risks) are addressed. This could be checks after set up, using calibrated instruments, 1st article inspection, etc.
  • Be ready to describe what they do (the process). Be ready to show the necessary documentation, if any, inspections if called for, etc.
  • How they handle nonconforming product/service, if any.
  • How they get news of updates and process issues (Quality Alerts?)
  • How they know they are doing a good job (process metrics and what they mean to this particular area).
I hope this helps.

It’s futile, IMHO to “prepare” for a CB auditor. Who knows what they will ask. Sure, we can say what one or a few experiences might tell one or two of us about a small handful of auditors, but ultimately, there’s no knowing. (I do know of one AS auditor who threw a fit at the stage 1 and had the owner of the business in tears!) Experience shows they are all over the map. Best preparation is to take control of the audit and don’t wait to be asked. You’ll have a schedule at some point - or should - so, using that make certain that the process owners are ready to tell the auditor “this is our process, inputs, outputs, resources, controls, results etc. Don’t wait to be asked.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
What is the best way to help a company prepare for an upcoming external audit?

I am a compliance manager, and I would like to know if you recommend something we could send out along with our audit notification email to help our people successfully prepare for the AS9100D external audits.

For example, I think an AS9100 prep guide specific to production, purchasing, design, etc., may be valuable.

Would this help or hinder? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
TacitBlue,

The fact that you are asking here suggests that your organization is not ready.

Before the certification audit you and your colleagues should have evidence that your system is effective in fulfilling its objectives (including the objectives of each of its processes).

Naturally, the results of your internal audits will show that the system conforms to the system standard.

Top management will also have shown and be showing evidence of their commitment to customers, employees and the performance of their management system.

Please let us know what you did and how well you did.

Many thanks,

John

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
The prep guide should be your procedures.
If your internal audit was done correctly it would be a simulation of the external audit.
That is what I do for my customers.

Danny

If your internal audit was done correctly it would be a simulation of the external audit
How is anyone supposed to discover what that is like To be able to “simulate” it? Apart from being horribly inaccurate advice - internal audits are NOT a simulation of an external audit - how would an organization which - as the OP suggests, new to certification - supposed to simulate a 3rd party audit?

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
There are experienced consultants that can perform these services.
Especially if they were trained by certification bodies and worked as lead assessors.
New companies are not always aware of the interpretations of the standard and having someone with experience often helps.
Funboi
This "horribly inaccurate advice" has helped my customers and is why they reach out to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A AS9100D - Clause 8.1 Operation - Coating service company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
J Expanding our Company's AS9100D Registration Scope and Location AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Pros and cons to transition to AS9100 for non aerospace company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
L ISO13485:2016 and Subsidiary Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Does any one know if company is allowed to submit appeal for rejected registration file Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
E Device compatibility with other company's devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M An interesting question about import company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
T ISO9001:2015 for Work-from-home company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 48
M Role of Quality Manager in a manufacturing company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
R How many process maps are adequate for a company for IATF 16949? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 17
M Questions concerning QMS and/or company specific nonconformance Customer Complaints 2
Aliken Recommendation for the ISO 13485 certification company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C ISO Cert and Parent Company is not Certified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H Product Safety & Conformity Representative (PSCR) Training Company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Q Training Machinists on Company Processes Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
C Regulatory Affairs in a start-up medical device company Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Q Approving distributors as suppliers for automotive company Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
P How to keep a ISO 9001:2015 certification when a company is sold ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M New Daughter company - ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Accreditations as part of 9001 - Quality checks on your company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L BlipSnip is it Legit Company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Seeking Consultant for Orthopedic Start Up company Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Can PLM be in the OEM position for another company? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L Acquiring software from 3rd party company IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H Starting my own 3rd party inspection company Service Industry Specific Topics 6
Kevin_Hall Becoming a successful manager of a spacecraft company Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 11
Ed Panek Which choice of the following most closely matches the MDR compliance of your company? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J How many majors is one company allowed ? IATF16949 Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
A Outsourcing registration to a local company China Medical Device Regulations 1
D Technical Standard aggregator company suggestions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Transferring a calibrated counting scale to a sister company Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A Quality's Authority - Company Moving In ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
S Business Number versus Company ID? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Transferring ISO 17025 from one company to another ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Audit check for IT company (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
F IVD registration in EU - Northern Ireland based company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
L Have been purchased by a corporate company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Advice needed: Shall I report my not complying company to NB / competent Authority (Europe) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
lanley liao What shoud i do if our company top management has been changed. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S Malcolm Baldrige Company Dashboard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J Leveraging another company's ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5