SBS - The best value in QMS software

Compatibility between MDD and MDR devices

Asia78

Involved In Discussions
I am being wondering if a new MDR product can declare compatibility to an existing mdd product... (The mdd product will not change)
What do you think? Any reason why it shouldn't be possible? Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Do you mean equivalence, such as would be needed if you want to use data from the one device in the clinical evaluation of the other?

Asia78

Involved In Discussions
Hi watchcat, no, I mean that we have two separate devices, each with their own DoC, which can be used together being that compatibility has been tested.
Only problem is that one will stay under MDD, the other one will be under MDR.
Any concerns? Thanks

Watchcat

Ah, that makes sense. I'm hoping someone here can answer your question off the top of their head, because I really hate trying to figure out anything involving multiple devices at one time. Usually makes my brain hurt. :confused: Off the top of my head, though, I can't think of any reason this should be a problem.

jkuil

Quite Involved in Discussions
There is no requirement in the MDR that devices that are claimed to be compatible with the medical device that is being assessed shall be CE marked under MDR. Such a requirement would cause that a medical device can only be CE marked under MDR when all compatible devices are CE marked under MDR. This is impossible for a manufacturer to assure and would require the manufacturer to constantly update the IFU once new devices that may be used with the medical device are being CE marked.

Asia78

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the confirmation, I see it in the same way.

Different is a MDD device that wants to declare compatibility to a MDR device. In this case the MDD device will have a "significant change" and will need to be also MDR compliant.

dgrainger

Don't you still need to show that your MDD device is compatible with the MDR device? This will be a change to Essential requirement 9.1 and a significant change.

Asia78

Involved In Discussions
Well, this is exactly the point. If the device is already on the market and released under MDD, I guess you can declare compatibility only on one direction: MDR device compatible to the existing MDD one. Without any change in the MDD product.

Or is the compatibility necessary in both directions? I don't see a reason
Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Compatibility studies for Combination Products - Europe Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R Compatibility studies - combination product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Medical Device MRI Compatibility EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
K Electromagnetic Compatibility Test IEC 60601-1-2: 2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
E IEC 60601-1-2 compliance for accessories - Electromagnetic compatibility of the ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Testing an equipment for MRI Compatibility Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class II Medical Device Compatibility Issue - Removal or Market withdrawal? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Conformity Charts - IFU Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
K Interpretation of IEC 60601-1-2 Electromagnetic Compatibility – Requirements & tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
C Compatibility of a Class II exempted accessory with a Class III device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Plastic Compatibility tests with the contact of mucous membranes Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
B Titanium Implants MR (Magnetic Resonance) Compatibility Labeling US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R How to deal with the RM requirement of clause 17 Electromagnetic Compatibility? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
B Should EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Testing be performed In-House CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
J EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Requirements - IEC 60601 3rd edition Clause 17 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Quality Assurance procedures for EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Compliance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
J ISO 10993 (Biological Compatibility) Approved Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 23
Y MRI Compatibility - Electrical Device with a Video Display Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Compatibility and Analogues Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Materials Compatibility in ISO 8185:2007 - Respiratory Tract Humidifiers IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R Electrosurgery Emission Compatibility - Patient monitoring equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
somashekar Material Compatibility - PVC (halogenated polymers) and Santoprene (TPE) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Definition What does cultural compatibility mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
S Construction Projects - Client & contractor - System compatibility issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
kedarg6500 "Cultural compatibility" EFQM excellence model Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
4 Design help needed - Isoflurane compatibility with polymers - Anesthesia gas Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
S ISO14001 and TS16949 "Compatibility" vs. Audit Day Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q Terminal Lugs sizes - Difference between 225/24 vs. 275/24 lugs Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Relationship between ISO 9001 and ISO – IEC BS EN 870079- 34 2020 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Difference between "Production Trial Run" and "Run at Rate" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Ron Rompen Surface Finish Correlation between Ra, Rz and Tp (bearing surface ratio) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L MRA between EU and Switzerland - 1/2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Joint approval between OEM and Manufacturer on Design Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C Is my software an accessory? Telecommunication between HCP and patients EU Medical Device Regulations 10
K Verify Software Architecture - supporting interfaces between items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
DuncanGibbons How is the arrangement between Design and Production organisation envisaged? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
H Difference between Stainless Steel 316 ASTM F899 and ASTM A276 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
gramps What is the difference between discrete and continuous variables? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
R Plea for advice on transitioning between Notified Bodies (label updates) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1