SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Compatibility of a Class II exempted accessory with a Class III device

C

Corax

Help - I'm confused in this matter!

We manufature FDA Class II exempted devices (MDD class IIa) and have an accessory for these devices that can changes a limited amount of settings within the main device - like a remote control with limited possibilities.

A company within the same Holding company manufactures class III implant devices.
They would like to state compatibility with our accessory meaning the accessory would have similar limited remote control possibility for their device - but would this make the accessory a class III device?

We would not change our labeling or intended use - the device would be sold as is (class II exempted). And we would not claim the compatibility.

They would not claim that this is an accessory to their device and would not sell our accessory, only state compatiblity and ensure proper compatibility testing as well as incorporate the compatibility with our accessory in their risk management.

How does this setup sound to you?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Their PMA will have to support/defend their direct compatibility claim and implied safety and efficacy claim by means of evidence.

The classification of your device as you sell it won't change. It however will have to be evaluated to Class III standards by them.

They would not claim that this is an accessory to their device [...] only state compatiblity
The latter has the same meaning as the former.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Class II Medical Device Compatibility Issue - Removal or Market withdrawal? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Compatibility studies for Combination Products - Europe Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R Compatibility studies - combination product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Medical Device MRI Compatibility EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Compatibility between MDD and MDR devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Electromagnetic Compatibility Test IEC 60601-1-2: 2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
E IEC 60601-1-2 compliance for accessories - Electromagnetic compatibility of the ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Testing an equipment for MRI Compatibility Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
F EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Conformity Charts - IFU Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
K Interpretation of IEC 60601-1-2 Electromagnetic Compatibility – Requirements & tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Plastic Compatibility tests with the contact of mucous membranes Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
B Titanium Implants MR (Magnetic Resonance) Compatibility Labeling US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R How to deal with the RM requirement of clause 17 Electromagnetic Compatibility? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
B Should EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Testing be performed In-House CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
J EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Requirements - IEC 60601 3rd edition Clause 17 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Quality Assurance procedures for EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Compliance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
J ISO 10993 (Biological Compatibility) Approved Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 23
Y MRI Compatibility - Electrical Device with a Video Display Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Compatibility and Analogues Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Materials Compatibility in ISO 8185:2007 - Respiratory Tract Humidifiers IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R Electrosurgery Emission Compatibility - Patient monitoring equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
somashekar Material Compatibility - PVC (halogenated polymers) and Santoprene (TPE) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Definition What does cultural compatibility mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
S Construction Projects - Client & contractor - System compatibility issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
kedarg6500 "Cultural compatibility" EFQM excellence model Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
4 Design help needed - Isoflurane compatibility with polymers - Anesthesia gas Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
S ISO14001 and TS16949 "Compatibility" vs. Audit Day Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Stability sampling for Class 1 medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Including a class 1 camera in the 510k application of class 2 therapeutic technology? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 18
S Class I Equipment with mobile power inverter IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
shimonv Can you submit a traditional application for a class I device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
D Faxback form versus amendment License for Class II Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J The necessity and benefit of ISO13485:2016 for a manufacturer of class I devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Class II (Double Insulated) Power Supply with Output Tied to Earth: FE or PE? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S IPC-A-610 Class 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Class 1 and 2 changes in CM standards (aerospace industry) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
S Class 1 vs Class 2 changes Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J EU Declaration of Conformity for Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Class II a vs "software safety class A" IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
K Classification Rationale for class 1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Class VI certification on seals, o-ring and plastic for a WFI system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
N Class I accessories covered by EC certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L Change Notification Requirements for class 1 devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4