Competence qualification - ISO9001 Clause 6.2.1

A

Andrews

What procedure do you follow to satisfy the requireement of ISO9001 -2000 6.2.1 clause i.e " personnel performing ..................shall be competent on the basis of appropriate education , skills and experience"

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

We don't really have a procedure that details this. We basically just have records to demonstrate competence. Generally this is done by showing a training record for a particular person, but we also use resumes to show competence. And since everyone is completely honest on their resume we don't have to worry. :vfunny:

JodiB

Still plugging along
You know, I have a little bit of a problem with accepting education or experience as an indicator of "competence". Seems to me that only demonstrated skill is what should be meant by "competence". Just because someone has been doing it a long time or has done the schooling doesn't mean that they are capable of performing at the desired level.

Competence is a combination of practical and thinking skills, experience and knowledge. It is also dependant on the context and the environment in which an activity is performed. The basics for a competence assessment process are: -

Candidates underpinning (basic) knowledge (question and answer him/her);
Candidates experience in similar environments and carrying out similar work;
Candidates education;
Observation of candidates carrying out the work;
Written examinations: - Try to establish a candidate realises the consequence of not carrying out the job correctly;
A knowledge of occupational health and safety is also a requirement to demonstrate competence (is the job being carried out in a safe manner?);
Finally another element of competence is the physical ability of a person to complete a task to a satisfactory. Is their health to a standard that will not affect the work being carried out.

A competence assessment process must also include a requirement for re-assessment when either the job changes or at an interval where an employee may lapse into believing athey know a job inside out (becoming complacent).

Certain industries in the UK have stingent competence requirements, in particular the Railway industry where demonstrating staff competence is a requirement of law not just ISO 2000.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Lucinda said:

You know, I have a little bit of a problem with accepting education or experience as an indicator of "competence". Seems to me that only demonstrated skill is what should be meant by "competence". Just because someone has been doing it a long time or has done the schooling doesn't mean that they are capable of performing at the desired level.
I have to disagree somewhat with this as a blanket statement, Lucinda (and Martin). It depends on the circumstance. If I have a job opening for a forklift operator in a food warehouse, and the candidate has a certificate from an OSHA approved forklift training/educational class and has held a position with acceptable performance for a year as a forklift operator in a competitor's food warehouse (let's say they were laid-off), operating the same kind of forklifts, wouldn't you say this person is competent even if you did not see him/her operate the forklift? Yes, I might need to show him/her our inventory system or pick codes, etc. but I would consider him/her to be a competent forklift operator based solely on his/her education and experience unless/until I saw otherwise. Testing him/her for competence in my facility would not guarantee that they will perform at a desired level next week or next month, either.

But I admit there are many cases where I would want to see demonstrated competence in my company despite prior education and experience before certifying the person as "competent". As I said, I think it depends on the circumstance. Common sense and careful consideration of the individual situation should be applied. JMO.

JodiB

Still plugging along
Mike S. said:

I have to disagree somewhat with this as a blanket statement, Lucinda (and Martin). It depends on the circumstance. If I have a job opening for a forklift operator in a food warehouse, and the candidate has a certificate from an OSHA approved forklift training/educational class and has held a position with acceptable performance for a year as a forklift operator in a competitor's food warehouse (let's say they were laid-off), operating the same kind of forklifts, wouldn't you say this person is competent even if you did not see him/her operate the forklift?

No Mike, I wouldn't say that the person is competent. I would say that they have met the hiring criteria for that job description. JMHO.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Lucinda,

I'm curious: WHY would you not consider the person competent based on the above evidence? Do you have to see it for yourself to believe it? Would the word of a co-worker from your company who saw him/her drive the forklift be okay? What is YOUR competence criteria for the forklift person, and why? Just curious. Maybe I'm too easy!:confused: :eek:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V ISO 9001:2015 7.2 Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
I When exactly was "competence" added to the ISO-9001 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
QAQT Internal Auditor competence for ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
I Who owns your Competence, Awareness and Training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M AS9100D Competence and Training Records - X-Ray AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J ISO 13485:2016 Section 6.2 - Documenting the process for establishing competence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Environmental Management System Lead Auditor Competence ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
J Training Personnel on the QMS - 7.3 Awareness or Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S SOP Training/Competence in 24/7 Operation contractor company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H How to Establish and Document Competence of Employees in a Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
sswaim Auditing Internal Laboratory Personnel for Competence General Auditing Discussions 4
M Training Competence - Contract Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Struggling with Training and Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Evidence of Competence, Training and Awareness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
A ISO 9001:2015 - Knowledge vs. Competence - 7.5.1 and 7.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
somashekar How to Determine the Necessary Employee Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Problems with Competence/Skills Matrix (6.2 Human Resources) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G Audit Finding against ISO/TS 16949 6.2.2 Competence, Training and Awareness IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Sidney Vianna EMS auditor competence ISO Standard published - ISO/IEC TS 17021-2:2012 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
A ISO 19011:2012 - Emphasis on Risk Analysis, Competence of Auditors and Vocabulary Internal Auditing 2
L Can Extent of Documentation differ due to the Competence of Personnel? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Certificate of Conformity Competence - Training Staff the Responsibilities of Signing Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
F What Compliance to ISO 9001, 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training Means ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
K Competence, Training and Awareness - Documenting Training and Confidentiality Aspects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Training and Competence requirements in a Small Machine Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M AS9100 Rev C Initial Certification - Determination of Competence AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G Searching for Auditor Competence and Training .ppt presentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
V Auditor Competence Noncompliance Internal Auditing 49
F CVs/Resumes & Competence, Training, and Awareness - Employee Confidentiality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2.a Competence, Training, and Awareness Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P ISO 13485 Competence, Awareness and Training Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Competence Awareness and Training - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 d) - How to do ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Aerospace Industry Competence Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
arios Keeping Records of Competence of Employees Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
A Competence Requirements for OH&S Compliance Assessment - 4.5.2 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
D Determine the necessary Competence for personnel ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
somashekar Top Management and Competence, Awareness, Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
C Internal Auditor lack of Competence Internal Auditing 76
B Definition Competence - What is the meaning of Competence? ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 Competence Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 13
E Calibration Clerk Competence and Training General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
B How to Evaluate Competence of an Internal Translator ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Competence for performing compliance audits - 4.5.2 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
K Determining Competence - What is the best way to determine employee competence AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
C Temporary Laborer Training Requirements - 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
D HR (Human Resources): Matrix of Competence in USA - Education Level aspect ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Determining Competence - Understanding clause 6.2.2 a) of ISO9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
Sidney Vianna IAQG Guidance PCAP 001 - Competence Management Guideline AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Competence Assessments in a Small Tool Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G ISO 14001 - Recording Competence, Training and Awareness in Existing Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R Internal Auditor Competence - ISO14001 Annex A A.5.5 Internal Audit Internal Auditing 21