Competencies: Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Competency

Hi ISO Guy,
When we say competence, awareness, training for item # 6.2.2 of ISO9001:2000. Does this means that all employees are competent enough to do the job? Can a resume' of previous experience, could be considered as a proof in validating their trainings? How about apprenticeships, how can i develop competency to them?
Thanks in advance,
Raffy
[email protected]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Raffy,

Does this mean that all employees are competent enough to do the job?

Yes. If they aren’t, then you must have plans to develop associates to the required level while instituting interim protocols.

Can a resume of previous experience be considered as validation of competency?

In part. You need two things to achieve successful results: knowledge and experience. Resumes are presentations of peoples “suggested” abilities and knowledge. It is not proof of their competency. You will need to evaluate an associate to determine for yourself whether the candidate has the ability to fulfill job requirements (usually done in the probationary period at the start of employment). At the end of the probationary period, you must assess ability to meet requirements and make a decision to hire, hire and train in deficient areas, or reject employment.

How about apprenticeships? How can I develop competency in them?

Apprenticeships are learning relationships. It is an extensive On the Job learning experience generally governed by the skills that must be learned and mastered as well as time requirements as an apprentice/journeyman.

First, you must understand what ‘competency’ is for each position in your organization. Understanding what it is will lead you to how to achieve it throughout the organization, how to measure it, and how to develop it as part of a Learning System. I would strongly suggest that this is NOT made part of traditional Performance Appraisals.

Regards,

Kevin

S

SuRiVs

competencies

Hello Everyone!
I know I read this somewhere in the cove but I can-t seem to find it so someone could probable help me. I am looking for the definitions of the four comeptencies stated in ISO 9001:2000 Education, Experience, Skills and abilities. First two are easily defined, however I have trouble finding what is meant by abilities and skills.

thanks everyone for all the help

Martin

S

SuRiVs

Can't follow

Sorry guys, but i couldn't follow the thread nor find in the link the definition (what is meant by):

Education
Training
Skills
Experience

I am trying to define competencies and finding hard to do it since I can't seem to first know what is meant by each one.

thanks again

Matrin

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Education: Typically schooling.
Training: Same here. Fork truck driver? Where's the training certificate. OJT? How and where is is documented?
Skills: Oh, maybe a die setter or something someone has done alot.
Experience: A history in whatever the position is.

A lot of this overlaps. One could easily argue that training is education. Education is typically thought of in terms of formal schooling, like high school or college, I guess. But someone who goes through an apprentice in, say, pipefitting would probably argue this is, in fact, education whilst others might think of it more as training with the cavat that it is focused on one skill set. And skills argueably come from experience or training.

What you're trying to do is show that anyone performing a function is qualified. An advertisement might read: High school diploma, experience in assembly operations. There is no requirement that each 'list item' be addressed - one or more is the idea.

Competency is any one or more of the four which provide a foundation that a person is capable of doing a job. Actually, there is more to it. In some cases a person may be colour blind. That person might be competent but not capable if the job requires colour perception.

Be sure to read Kevin's post above carefully.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everyone,

Just a follow-up questions with regards to competency requirements.
What are the evidence that we must show if the personnel assigned to the position
were evaluated against the defined competency? (e.g. engineers, supervisors, etc.)
We used Job specification and job summary as defined competency requirements.
Please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Raffy

D

D.Scott

IMO it sounds like you are doing fine Raffy. Is the competency requirement defined on the Job Description for the position? If so, you need to also be sure any other competency requirements are included - for example if a customer requirement is that a test only be performed by a licensed technician then that requirement should be part of the job description and evaluation made against that. Documentation can be done however you state in your evaluation procedure. Usually a job description, training record and annual evaluation record are all that would be needed as documentation for competency evaluation.

Dave

M

mshell

I agree with Dave. We use the job description in conjunction with a competency profile (which directly relates to the tasks in the job description) and an evaluation for personal characteristics (punctuality, absenteeism, teamwork, etc...).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Plotting identified Competencies, Education & Training Needs into the Training Plan Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
T Audit Nonconformance - ISO 9001:2008 Clause 6.2.2 - Competencies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Hershal Auditor Competencies in their Sciences and/or Disciplines General Auditing Discussions 14
RoxaneB Foundational or Core Competencies - When Stakeholders Disagree Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
C Training Competencies - Advanced Manufacturing Industries Framework of Competencies Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
H Establishing Employee Competencies and Training - Future Training Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C ISO 9000 Clause 6.2.2 - Competence - Compiling a list of required competencies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 80
M TS 16949 and its HR Implications - Job Descriptions? Competencies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 Design for an education services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Informational FDA Invites You to the 2019 Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) Annual Conference Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Quality Assurance/Quality Control in Education Consultacy Service Industry Specific Topics 14
M Continuing Education for Quality Professional (Online) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
M Education - Jobs Requiring a College Degree Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A Audit Finding on 6.2.2 - Education Requirements not Verified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R ISO 27001 A.8.2.2 Information Security Awareness, Education and Training IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
AnaMariaVR2 Value of a Higher Education Career and Occupation Discussions 19
I Education: Master Quality Management & Master Thesis Career and Occupation Discussions 8
L Environmental Targets - Services to the Education Sector Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M ISO 9001 Certified Education Company - Defining the Product & Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Anybody in the Education Industry? Service Industry Specific Topics 18
G I need education in Quality Management Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
AnaMariaVR2 Warning letter addresses lack of training/education 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 22
V CE Marking for Device under (Research and Education) Non Medical. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Advice on Further Education for Practitioner interested in Quality? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D HR (Human Resources): Matrix of Competence in USA - Education Level aspect ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
V What documents are required for Education and Training in AS9100 Internal Auditing 3
C Education vs. Training - Training effectiveness program ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Interpretation of Clause 7.6 in the Education Field (IWA 2) Service Industry Specific Topics 7
F Realisation of Product in regards to ISO 9001 for Private School (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Where/How to Gain Training/Education to Be a Quality Professional Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
D IWA2:2007 (guidelines for application of ISO in education) and good gap analysis tool Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 15
D ISO 9001:2000 clause 6.2.2 e) - records of education ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Implementing ISO 9001 in a school (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Continuing Education - TPS (Toyota) Training/Conference Opportunities? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
L Injection Molding Quality Assurance - Best methods, practices, tools, education Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
D Distance Education Question. (Online Degree) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
Marc Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and The Cove Forums? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
C Upper Management Education to the gist of ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
Sidney Vianna Guidelines for Education Sector (ISO/IWA 2) - New ISO Standard ISO 21001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
M ISO 14001 in education organizations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
D 6.2.2 e - Minimum education requirements for workers? Some never went to school! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
WALLACE Deming's philosophy in education? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
C Education - Seeking Information / Recommendations on CQE/CQM Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
M ISO9000 certification in education - Higher end post graduate degree school ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A 6.2.1 Assignment of Personnel - Applicable education, training, skills and experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D ISO 9001 Requirements for Education Institutions Service Industry Specific Topics 27
K Guidelines for implementing ISO9000 in education - ISO 21001:2018 Update June 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Training records vs experience and education Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6