Competent Registrar for Major Electrical Components for Wind Turbine Manufacturer

R

RLewing

Well,

I have at least put my stakes to wind power now. Changed recently from a politically windy "subsidiary" position :frust: in medical devices to HQ :cool: of a new fast-growing company engaged in producing major electrical components to wind turbine manufacturers.

Planning to be ISO 9001 certified soon, which brings up a question to my fellow Covers: have you any knowledge/recommendations about any internationally operating registrar being especially competent in this field?

Best Regards
Raimo

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
One additional thing to keep in mind, if it is not already taken care of.....

You mention it is a new fast growing company.....if the products manufactured have not yet been "listed", then you will ultimately have to get the products tested and listed by an ISO Guide 65 accredited organization (e.g., UL).....there likely is a FINAS accredited Guide 65 body near you.....

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
if the products manufactured have not yet been "listed", then you will ultimately have to get the products tested and listed by an ISO Guide 65 accredited organization (e.g., UL)....
That implies that there is a regulatory requirement to have the product "listed". What is the legal requirement?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RLewing

Re: Competent Registrar for Mfg of Major Electrical Components for Wind Turbines

One additional thing to keep in mind, if it is not already taken care of.....

You mention it is a new fast growing company.....if the products manufactured have not yet been "listed", then you will ultimately have to get the products tested and listed by an ISO Guide 65 accredited organization (e.g., UL).....there likely is a FINAS accredited Guide 65 body near you.....
That implies that there is a regulatory requirement to have the product "listed". What is the legal requirement?
For the European market we are declaring conformity to Low Voltage Directive and Machine Directive. According to my understanding neither explicitly requires involving a notified or competent body. We are naturally observing the relevant harmonized (mainly IEC) standards and have the technical documentation available as required.

We are not quite yet entering the US market so we have not investigated what legal requiremens exist there; will be thankful for and will consider any detailed information about that, too.

The testing is done mainly by us at our own facilities; a full load test to a multi-MW generator or inverter can not be done everywhere. Customer is often attending.

However a certification body will naturally get credit if they can also provide 3rd party testing, if our customers would require that. One stop shopping.

What I'm really after would be if anybody in the wind turbines or wind power production market has any first hand experience. I will naturally ask for references, but first I'd naturally would like to know which names have a positive sound at our customers and their customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RLewing

Progress report:

Even though I have all the time been keeping you guys in my mind, I decided not to report our decision right away. But now it is time to do that in order to close this thread properly.

After considering three internationally operating alternatives (two with relevant offices here and one from Central Europe), we first dropped the foreign one because travel expenses would have made them significantly more expensive (without providing significantly greater value). The two local ones were invited to present themselves in greater detail and there was significant difference in the responsiveness.

We are very happy with our choice. The responsiveness observed during the selection phase continued during the audit process and the observations were quite relevant to us. By responsiveness I mean that the auditor e.g. understood our method of flexible working with our customers (the system integrators) who use our custom-built products as components while they are also in product development mode. An inxperienced auditor could have tried to force us to a mass production - frozen specification - "template". The IT people call that waterfall model and it really would not work for us.

After a hectic but interesting summer and autumn, up to last week, I today hold in my hand an ISO 9001 certificate from DNV.:biglaugh:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
For Europe, the answer has been posted in the last couple of posts.

For the U.S. market, the requirements come in under the OSHA NRTL requirements, although a Guide 65 accredited organization (likely to be ISO/IEC 17065 in a couple of years) is also accepted. The Guide 65 is known as "listing" by organizations such as UL, CSA, FM Global, Intertek/ETL, and others.

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Competent Authority notification for non-EU manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Informational EU – Meeting minutes – Competent Authorities on Substances of Human Origin Expert Group Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
JoCam Dispute with Competent Authority Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Authorized Rep (AR), competent authority, NCA and notified body - Differences EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Medical Device News CAMD – Patient Safety – The Focus For All Competent Authorities For Medical Devices (CAMD) Members Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Do Distributors need to register with competent authorities in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Ways to demonstrate objective evidence that employee is trained and competent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
B Article 12 Combination Device Registration With Competent Authority CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D Belgian Competent Authority Registration EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Class I Medical Device - Need to notify CA (Competent Authority) if selling in Asia EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Notified Body excessive reporting onto Competent Authorities via the Eudamed database ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S What would be the evidence for trained/competent inspectors? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M 8.2.2.5 Internal Auditor Qualification - Competent Auditor or Qualified Auditor? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
A Benin - Bogus Competent Authority? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
K Competent Authority investigations of FSCAs (Field Safety Corrective Action) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What is "EASA" and "Competent Authority"? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
Stijloor Looking for a competent MSA Instructor/Consultant Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Should the Competent Authorities Audit the Manufacturer? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
N SOP/Work Procedure for Competent Authority in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V Competency - How I can show experienced operators are competent? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C CB (Certification Body /Competent Body) and CE (European Mark of Conformity)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
O Experience with IMB as Competent Authority of Drug Device Combination Products? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C How to Approve that an employee is 'Competent' - TS-16949 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
E Grand Fathering Clause - Qualifying senior, experienced personnel as competent Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
4 Clinical Trials in Europe - What is the "competent authority" in Italy? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Audit boundaries - Is a Registrar permitted to audit a company's QMS by visiting their suppliers? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 26
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
P Notify Registrar of Escalation letter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
1 ISO Registrar with waste water treatment experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
D How can a company transfer their AS certificate from a suspended AS91XX registrar? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Is a Domain Registrar a Critical Supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F Which Medical Device Standard Registrar would you recommend? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
WCHorn Transfering certificate from Registrar "A" to Registrar "B" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Registrar Practices - Audit Plan with Scope, Dates/Times, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Breach of Contract from Registrar (Auditor Payment Issue) Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
V Under what circumstances will a Registrar Audit a Company? (ISO 13485 - Canada) Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18