Complaint about Adhesive

Melissa

Starting to get Involved
Hi everyone, Looking for some opinions
A little background first:
We are a rotary die cutting facility...without going into to much detail the product we make has to adhere to another device. The customer found 2 of these adhesion pieces(that we make) still had liner on them, making them unusable. This would be a problem from the Operator of the machine who did not notice that the liner split and had to splice another roll onto the die cutter. I am wondering how to word this and what would a good corrective action be? We are unable to inspect parts as they come in as it comes in rolls. I am unable to stand out there to watch the operator run the machine to make sure this doesn't happen again. everything is sent back to the customer in rolls as well so it would be impossible for me to check every piece.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy Melissa,

Have to make a number of assumptions with the little detail you give about where the liner is, why it's there, whether or not any should be on the final part or not, etc.

If the operator didn't notice that the liner was still there when it shouldn't be...can you make it more obvious?
I've seen a whole lot of clear liners (38um Polyprop, etc.) that are hard to see...but that same material comes tinted blue/green/red/etc as well which is pretty obvious. Is this an option for your incoming stock?

As for wording, tell the bald truth in detail...at the end of the day it's what you do to prevent it from happening again that is much more important.
FWIW, someone standing watching the operator isn't much help anyway...four eyes are better than two, but still not perfect. How do you raise the detectability of an error so it doesn't make it out the door?

HTH

Melissa

Starting to get Involved
The problem is, the roll ripped, the operator missed checking those 2 parts and the liner was accidentally left on the part. IT is impossible to check after you keep running the product as it ends up in a roll

The liner from the adhesive should be removed and the parts will be on clear sheet of adhesive, this time the adhesive liner ripped (on a die cutter) and the operator didn't notice as it kept running. The paper the adhesive is attached to ripped wasn't able to be removed by the machine and the operator didn't notice this. This operator HAS to splice at least 7 times a day so i a checklist for splicing wouldnt work well either as we need to keep the machine running. Is there more information i could give that would help?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Rotary die cutting is a decent volume per hour...out of curiosity, 2 parts out of how many?

LUFAN

Involved In Discussions
That has to be a known failure mode of the process, and I can see where @Ninja is going with his comment. Without investment into some sort of automated inspection equipment, warning system, and maybe even a camera you can mount with a monitor at operator eye level, this sounds like it's a Human Factors issue that's going to be hard to mitigate unless more resources can be applied.

How many times has this error occurred?

Melissa

Starting to get Involved
Rotary die cutting is a decent volume per hour...out of curiosity, 2 parts out of how many?
That has to be a known failure mode of the process, and I can see where @Ninja is going with his comment. Without investment into some sort of automated inspection equipment, warning system, and maybe even a camera you can mount with a monitor at operator eye level, this sounds like it's a Human Factors issue that's going to be hard to mitigate unless more resources can be applied.

How many times has this error occurred?

This error has never occurred before, 2 parts out of 806000 PC -- we are a contract mfg. This is a very picky customer. But our best customer and I believe a CAPA will make them happier, but it looks like this may boil down just human error.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
As a customer, root cause being a human "oops" is not something I ever want to see. I want to see why the human COULD make the error, that's your root cause.
Potential solutions to solve this 2.5ppm issue can be suggested, with costs attached...then I can convince myself as the customer that 2.5ppm isn't worth the cost of addressing and we all walk away happy...especially if you send me 100 pieces for free to make up for it.

If it happens again in the near future...we'll have a hard chat about it...
Out of curiosity again, has this happened before for this customer? Or for any customer ever before?

At that point, it isn't QMS stuff anymore, it's customer relationship management.

Last edited:

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Good day at @Melissa ;
@Ninja is spot on because as a root cause "human error" is not (because that is not a root cause).

I would recommend that your organization do a "deep dive" using a Kepner Tregoe or 5whys or other discipline (5whys may be best suited to your organization), to drive down to the true root cause. I would also recommend that the session include someone NOT familiar with the process, as they often ask the best questions. Go beyond the obvious. For example, instead of detection (always the last option), how can it be prevented? Is the material necessary? Other options? If the splicing adds to the risk, how can that risk be eliminated. In regards to "keep the machine running", hmmmm. That may be true, but would be worth comparing the "cost" (real and perceived as result of an unhappy customer), against the cost of stopping the machine if/when necesssary.

As noted by others,....not easy (impossible) for us to give you specific direction.

Hope this helps
Be well.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
I don't pretend to understand this process or the root cause(s) or contributing cause(s) of this particular incident. But, some processes rely on a human to do something because there is no more practical way to do it. In such case, sometimes human error can be a root cause, IMO. I started a thread long ago on this, and I think it created a lot of controversy and a lot of replies.

I believe that human error as a true root cause is overused and is rare, but not always wrong.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Totally agree with Mike for your internal analysis and addressing/minimizing the issue.
Sometimes humans are the focal point...because there is no financially viable alternative (ie. practical way). That's why you add costs to the possible solutions...to show the customer that there ARE solutions, but they are not practical.

I would not, however, put humans as a root cause out for discussion with the customer unless you already have a solid and friendly working relationship.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF 16949 clause 10.2 - requirements following a customer complaint. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Spreadsheet - Used for complaint investigation - Validation required or not ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News IATF Performance Complaint Management System (IATF CMS) within the IATF Database IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Are defective returned spare parts to be considered as a complaint? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
L Customer Complaint Internal Auditing 3
shimonv Device deficiencies (~complaint) discovered during a clinical trial ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Non conformance/complaint and CAPA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Complaint Return Sample Size Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K Do Contract Manufacturers need a complaint procedure? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
A Complaint review as part of the complaint handling process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Reduce occurrence rating based on the PMS data and customer complaint data ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
B Complaint Records - Accessing records on Easy Track Software Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
J Customer Complaint & SCAR, false data Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
M ISO 13485:2016 Complaint Definition Clarity Customer Complaints 2
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Requirements for Complaint Files - Distributed Goods Customer Complaints 3
S Is any dissatisfaction over a Medical Device considered as a complaint? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A Complaint alert levels - Industry standards pertaining to alert levels for complaints Customer Complaints 5
B Procedures for Complaint Handling and Post Market Surveillance EU Medical Device Regulations 10
J KPIs or Metrics to Measure a New Complaint Handling Process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
PhilM Nonconformance report, Customer complaint investigations and RMAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use Customer Complaints 12
R Does an RMA = a Customer Complaint Customer Complaints 4
G Customer complaint over a Reference Dimension Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Z Security for Approvals - Cloud based Complaint, NC, and CAPA systems Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
S How to collect complaint data from customers Customer Complaints 24
E Is there an Automotive Customer Complaint Index? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R In a software development company: Is every bug reported by the customer a complaint? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
E Corrective Action or Customer Complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Decontamination responsibility on customer complaint investigation Customer Complaints 4
N Possibly worlds first customer service complaint Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
A What is a Customer Complaint? (ISO 9001:2015) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S What is the difference between a service request and a complaint? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J FDA definition of a complaint - Customer orders spare parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R 510(k) - Finished Test Reports - RTA - Bit of a Complaint 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
P Customer Complaint Definition - Food Distributor Customer Complaints 5
J Using Complaint Rate to Update FMEA P.O.C ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
C Complaint Training - FDA - How to recognize complaints and what actions to take 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Complaint Handling Responsibilities for a Design Partner - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S Merging Post Market Surveillance and Complaint Handling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Customer Complaint - Samples vs. Removal - FDA Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Retention Requirements of Complaint Medical Devices Customer Complaints 2
C Web based Complaint Software which interfaces with our Enovia system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
Moncia Complaint / Non-Conforming Product / CAPA Procedures - Please share your experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Moncia Customer Complaint Procedure example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Medical Device Malfunction - Customer Complaint - Response vs. Correction Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J ISO 13485 Complaints (what is a complaint) Customer Complaints 5