Complaints and not the legal manufacturer?

Jkc3usc12

Involved In Discussions
Trying to get more information on the extent needed for complaints received but we are not the legal manufacturer.

1. If we are not the legal manufacturer would I need to log these in my complaint system? Or can i just forward the information to the manufacturer?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Agreeing with @indubioush, what role are you in the supply chain? Supplier of a component/material? Distributor? Importer? Health facility? Are you US-based?

Additionally, did the complaint allege an adverse event or death?

All these things can change how you manage the complaint.

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
21CFR803.18 (d)

(d)(1) If you are a device distributor, you must establish and maintain device complaint records (files). Your records must contain any incident information, including any written, electronic, or oral communication, either received or generated by you, that alleges deficiencies related to the identity (e.g., labeling), quality, durability, reliability, safety, effectiveness, or performance of a device. You must also maintain information about your evaluation of the allegations, if any, in the incident record. You must clearly identify the records as device incident records and file these records by device name. You may maintain these records in written or electronic format. You must back up any file maintained in electronic format.
(2) You must retain copies of the required device incident records for a period of 2 years from the date of inclusion of the record in the file or for a period of time equivalent to the expected life of the device, whichever is greater. You must maintain copies of these records for this period even if you no longer distribute the device.
(3) You must maintain the device complaint files established under this section at your principal business establishment. If you are also a manufacturer, you may maintain the file at the same location as you maintain your complaint file under part 820 of this chapter. You must permit any authorized FDA employee, at all reasonable times, to access, to copy, and to verify the records required by this part.

Good info, indubioush.

Follow up question: is there any contractual agreement on complaint handling? I know, working at a CMO, that customer complaint handling can be a little confusing if you aren't the legal manufacturer. Generally there are provisions put in place upon initiation of an agreement between a manufacturer and distributor. It could be something as simple as just forwarding it to the registration holder for investigation (while maintaining your own complaint file), but it could also outline more responsibilities on your end. And, if you are the customer facing organization, you most likely have the privilege of dealing with the end user. Check your contract, just to be sure.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
So seriously, if you are a distributor, you receive complaints and just sit on them, in case the FDA drops by? I also looked at
Sec. 803.10 , and it seems distributors are excluded from reporting requirements?

PS I hate the Q&A format used for these regulations. Just had to say that.

Jkc3usc12

Involved In Discussions
That is what i am trying to figure out. we currently log the complaint in our system and forward the complaint to the legal manufacturer. Then it sits in our system as we do not investigate the complaint.

So do i just log and close out with rational the investigation will be done by the manufacturer?

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Well, the way I read the regulations, you don't even have to report the complaint to the manufacturer.

Since I don't think the regulations make any sense, I'd fall back on the contractual agreement to work out something that does make sense, from the perspective of trying to minimize the number of devices on the market that are doing harm to patients and nobody knows it, because no one is following up.

I would forward the complaint to the manufacturer. It's their device, and it looks like the regulations don't require you to investigate. Since the manufacturer has distributors isolating them from those who use their devices, they will be inclined to forget about the users and instead investigate from a manufacturing perspective, which is to say, to try to find out if they had a bad lot, or something has gone amiss with their production process. I would cleverly try to con them into paying me to investigate on the user side. But that's just me, because I know how to investigate on the user side, while many/most distributors do not, I don't think. So most distributors would prefer to follow up with their customers as needed to support the manufacturer's investigation, at the manufacturer's request. Whether any manufacturers are likely to want this service enough to pay for it, I can't say.

Jkc3usc12

Involved In Discussions
Agree we do not investigate a product not manufactured by us. I assume we will just log the complaint and close it with rationale of why we are not investigating. we hardly get any feedback from the manufacturer as to the investigation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Supplier doesn't accept the complaints Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 19
S RMAs & Closing Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
A ISO 10002:2018 Checklist Needed (Complaints Handling) Customer Complaints 5
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
R Do Medical Device Complaints include Clinical Trials? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Complaint alert levels - Industry standards pertaining to alert levels for complaints Customer Complaints 5
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
N ISO 9001:2015 Customer Complaints Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
tnorton Lessons learned from implementing Customer Complaints Customer Complaints 1
D Volkswagen Complaints Management Rules Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Q Documenting Customer Complaints (Records) Customer Complaints 6
K Risk Analysis Updates due to complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
Marc Complaints - How to Complain (Xenforo Software October 2018) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
S What is the process of capturing "oral" customer complaints? Customer Complaints 9
J MDR reporting and CAPA thoughts? Classifying Complaints on Risk 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
C Backorders and delayed packages complaints? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
C UDI and complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Medical Device End of Life and Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q Does ISO 9001 require CARs for all customer complaints? Customer Complaints 2
Marc Customer Complaints Discussions in All Elsmar Forums Customer Complaints 0
G App for logging complaints. Customer Complaints 2
C Complaint Training - FDA - How to recognize complaints and what actions to take 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
Q Managing Internal/External RNC and Complaints in same Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Implantable Medical Device Manufacturer Going Out of Business - Complaints EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Are internally found Medical Device Software "Bugs" Complaints? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Difference Between Complaints and Feedbacks in terms of Follow-Up Actions Needed Customer Complaints 3
J ISO 13485 Complaints (what is a complaint) Customer Complaints 5
M Is PPM a good metric for gathering companywide complaints ? Customer Complaints 2
A How to handle complaints after end of specified medical device life-time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Creating a xlsx Customer Complaint file to track Complaints Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
D Can anyone share a Customer Complaint procedure not requiring logging complaints ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
shimonv Classification of Complaints from Beta Sites - Complaints Definition per QSR 820.3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Help me understand the applicability of 21 CFR Part 820.198 (Customer Complaints) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Risk Management for Complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A SOP for Internal Complaints between Sites Customer Complaints 2
J Why are there Customer Complaints when the process is in control? Six Sigma 24
S FDA terms - Adverse Events, Medical Device Reporting, MAUDE and Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
G Corrective Action against Customer Complaints ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Customer Complaints - Categorization help requested Customer Complaints 2
W Investigating Medical Devices Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
T How many complaints, defects and non-conformances are typical? Customer Complaints 5
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10
Q Understanding the general Philosophy with Complaints and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Complaints vs. Non Conformances - When is a Complaint a Nonconformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Managing Internal and Client Complaints ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Help establishing a good Customer Complaints Procedure? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3