Complaints time series significant change

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

01mercy

Involved In Discussions
In my experience this isn't unusual. The c chart can work but with the number of uses of various parts of the software that might generate complaints being susceptible to non-homogenous variation the I, MR chart is more likely a better indicator of stability - it certainly matches what our eyes tell us.

As Dr. Wheeler pointed out the c chart and p chart are subject to many 'assumptions' that are really requirements and so the I, MR chart is better choice.
Thank you for the advice @Bev D , with parts do you mean modular software? That is (not yet) the case. Unfortunately tagging of risk and complaint type is also not yet done but will be set-up soon because it is a mandatory requirement for our products as PMS activity. This in itself will bring ofcourse more insight and meaning to the complaint data.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Not knowing what the software is makes it difficult to be specific and correct. But the use of the software may be non-homogenously variable due to many factors: - from the number of uses to what the use cases are to the 'sensitivity' to complaining of the users.

You can also get the book from Amazon as a kindle book if you use kindle...

01mercy

Involved In Discussions
Not knowing what the software is makes it difficult to be specific and correct. But the use of the software may be non-homogenously variable due to many factors: - from the number of uses to what the use cases are to the 'sensitivity' to complaining of the users.

You can also get the book from Amazon as a kindle book if you use kindle...
Yeah I saw that option but I don't use kindle, I prefer getting a copy of the book from SPC press :read:

01mercy

Involved In Discussions
@Bev D @Steve Prevette can you tell me why you have chosen also for the I-mr-chart to be used since the count of complaint is descrete but this chart is pointed out to be used for continuous data?

As I understand correctly? the I-MR chart sets the control limits based on the variation in the Range between the points and the c-shart sets the limits based on the standard deviation over the individual measurements?
x20-1.png

Last edited:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
In my reply on Friday I refer to two articles that Dr Wheeler wrote. The p chart and the I, MR chart. They should be highlighted in the post. This means that if you click on the word you will be directed to the article. (The words are links to the articles). The articles are free to read and explain the situation quite well. The I, MR chart actually works for any data type. If you still have questions after reading the articles let us know.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I default to the c-chart (which assumes a Poisson distribution) whenever I am counting events, defects, injuries. Most times (in my experience dealing with such data) each individual event is independent from each other. The closely related u chart also works well, for example, OSHA recordable injuries per 200,000 hours worked.

BUT in this case, the sum total of the complaint data showed a variation higher than the Poisson. Therefore, I tried the iMR chart (and probably woudl not be a bad idea to plot the R chart, but that usually ends up confusing folks more than enlightening them, IMO). Since it fit, I conclude that either there are "lumpings" of complaints (one initiating event begats multiple complaints), OR there is a mixture of different variations in the individual feeds. Thus, a good thing to do is start going down to the individual categories and sources of complaints to see what that tells you.

On the flow chart, I initially followed the "discrete data" path, then defects, then c-chart.

01mercy

Involved In Discussions
In my reply on Friday I refer to two articles that Dr Wheeler wrote. The p chart and the I, MR chart. They should be highlighted in the post. This means that if you click on the word you will be directed to the article. (The words are links to the articles). The articles are free to read and explain the situation quite well. The I, MR chart actually works for any data type. If you still have questions after reading the articles let us know.
My apologies @Bev D I missed that, I will read it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Documenting Medical Device Complaints after End of Life? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Are complaints applicable to development of medical devices? Customer Complaints 2
G Too many customer complaints Customer Complaints 16
G Supplier doesn't accept the complaints Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20
S RMAs & Closing Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
A ISO 10002:2018 Checklist Needed (Complaints Handling) Customer Complaints 5
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
R Do Medical Device Complaints include Clinical Trials? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Complaint alert levels - Industry standards pertaining to alert levels for complaints Customer Complaints 5
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
J Complaints and not the legal manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 20
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
N ISO 9001:2015 Customer Complaints Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
tnorton Lessons learned from implementing Customer Complaints Customer Complaints 1
D Volkswagen Complaints Management Rules Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Q Documenting Customer Complaints (Records) Customer Complaints 6
K Risk Analysis Updates due to complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
Marc Complaints - How to Complain (Xenforo Software October 2018) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
S What is the process of capturing "oral" customer complaints? Customer Complaints 9
J MDR reporting and CAPA thoughts? Classifying Complaints on Risk 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
C Backorders and delayed packages complaints? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
C UDI and complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Medical Device End of Life and Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q Does ISO 9001 require CARs for all customer complaints? Customer Complaints 2
Marc Customer Complaints Discussions in All Elsmar Forums Customer Complaints 0
G App for logging complaints. Customer Complaints 2
C Complaint Training - FDA - How to recognize complaints and what actions to take 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
Q Managing Internal/External RNC and Complaints in same Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Implantable Medical Device Manufacturer Going Out of Business - Complaints EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Are internally found Medical Device Software "Bugs" Complaints? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Difference Between Complaints and Feedbacks in terms of Follow-Up Actions Needed Customer Complaints 3
J ISO 13485 Complaints (what is a complaint) Customer Complaints 5
M Is PPM a good metric for gathering companywide complaints ? Customer Complaints 2
A How to handle complaints after end of specified medical device life-time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Creating a xlsx Customer Complaint file to track Complaints Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
D Can anyone share a Customer Complaint procedure not requiring logging complaints ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
shimonv Classification of Complaints from Beta Sites - Complaints Definition per QSR 820.3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Help me understand the applicability of 21 CFR Part 820.198 (Customer Complaints) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Risk Management for Complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A SOP for Internal Complaints between Sites Customer Complaints 2
J Why are there Customer Complaints when the process is in control? Six Sigma 24
S FDA terms - Adverse Events, Medical Device Reporting, MAUDE and Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
G Corrective Action against Customer Complaints ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Customer Complaints - Categorization help requested Customer Complaints 2
W Investigating Medical Devices Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
T How many complaints, defects and non-conformances are typical? Customer Complaints 5
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10