Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Complete 8D Reports, Case Studies, Tools Used - Seeking Examples

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
I hesitate to upload an example, because of proprietary concerns and because it is not likely my example is similar to any problems you have. Looking at someone else's work it is often obvious to see, in hindsight, how the sections flow from an investigation. It is harder to think critically and methodically when you are shining a flashlight into dark corners which haven't been explored before.

I offer some advice - the sections that appear deceptively simple are problem-definition and root cause analysis. It is easy for people to record their first thoughts in these sections, but overlook deeper, more crucial issues. If you have only a superficial problem definition, you will likely fail to make lasting improvements. Many of my coworkers think a one-page form should take 15-20 minutes to complete. There do exist simple routine problems in the world, but if a problem is worth assigning an investigation team and worth documenting, there are probably several aspects beyond the obvious. The manager who reviews the 8-D investigation should oversee the ongoing investigation, review each section of the 8-D as it is completed before it is completed, ask probing questions and not accept reflex or superficial answers.

Paid Advertisement - Forum Supporter

QChas

Involved - Posts
Step 1 Organize and Plan Team:
The Champion selects team members to work on the resolution of issues. Whenever there is an impact on upstream or downstream processes, a member from that process should be selected.
Step 2 Describe The Problem:
This will be the details of the problem. Include P/N, description, quantity, etc, and additional information as needed.
Step 3 Containment:
Implement interim actions to negate the impact of the issue. Containment should occur immediately for issues that affect product, safety and/or customer satisfaction. Review this step with the Quality Manager when completed.
Step 4 Root Cause Analysis:
Determination of the exact root cause is a key for successful CAR’s. A good root cause will enable turning the problem on and off at will. Review this step with the Quality Manager when completed.
Step 5 Develop Actions:
Determine a plan of action with assigned responsibilities to address the root cause(s) of the issue.
Step 6 Implement Actions:
Implement the actions to address the root cause(s) and review results to ensure the actions were effective.
Step 7 Prevent Recurrence:
Take actions to ensure that the problem does not happen again. Review other processes where similar issues may arise. Notify the Quality Manager when completed.
Step 8 Verify Effectiveness:
The effectiveness verification will be performed by the Quality Manager or designee to ensure acceptable results.

For Step 8 I request feedback from the customer on the next "X" amount of shipments. This may take months to complete. If the customer pushes me to close the CAR, I will ask them do they want a corrective action or a piece of paper. Good luck!

Top Bottom