Compliance Near Misses

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
Since I have started this position, there as been a program in place to record what they call, compliance near misses. This would be things such as missed sign-offs on reports, missing paperwork, GDP issues, training, expirations dates, ect.

Each operator records the finding, then hands it to an ambassador who complies the information and gives it to me and their supervisor. They have requirement to find 8 safety or compliance near misses a year.

I want stop this practice. I want the ambassadors to be more of an informational team, training new employees, being an expert on some of the compliance issues, ect.

This however means stopping that KPI of number of compliance near misses. Every time I suggest stopping this, everyone freaks out. They need numbers. And they think finding all those little things is really improving our system.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
... They have requirement to find 8 safety or compliance near misses a year. ...
Sounds like more discussion with the full team is in order
(Preceded by individual meetings with the team members to get them on board).
When the meeting happens to "vote"...the result should be a foregone conclusion.

Requiring to find 8 near misses a year? What do you punish people with if fewer than 8 near misses happen?
Your policy mandates that you must have near misses...what sense does that make?
In that system, I would intentionally create 8 near misses in the first month just to make sure I met quota...how many of your folks are doing that now?

Have the individual meetings with the stakeholders and get them all on board before you throw it on a public table somewhere...

I would instead put some sort of reward for not having any attributed to you, and some 'ding' for creating them, instead of requiring them to exist.

Better question: How can you have the process stop when a necessary sign-off is missing? Make the miss a show stopper...then they can't happen in the first place.

People aren't perfect...how can the process police itself?...instead of policing the people afterward...?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ed Panek Compliance with Standards? When a standard is updated/revised CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
C Compliance with ISO 17025 requirement 8.4.2 - Controls - Records recovery ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J Interesting Discussion Compliance with regulations in exceptional circumstances EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Wearables 21 CFR Part 11 compliance Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
V Preparing the IFU in compliance with MDR 745, Chapter III EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L AS9146 Implementation and Compliance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Foam mattresses used in hospitals - compliance with MDR requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E Machines in Europe not in compliance with the EC directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Role of quality compliance in SAP Software Quality Assurance 2
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
M MDR Legacy Medical Device Labeling compliance timeline EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
D What is the best software used for the pharma compliance management? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
T Rumours that class 1 NS, NM, NR devices will have a new deadline for MDR compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational From RAPS: Danish Regulators Seek to Help Smaller Companies With EU MDR Compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G ISO 9001 Legal Compliance and Legal Register Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Ed Panek Do Cloud services require 21 CFR Part 11 compliance? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Business Intelligence and 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D USFDA vs NRTL/IEC 17025 Differences - Compliance testing lab ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
D USFDA vs NRTL/IEC 17025 Differences - Compliance testing lab US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
I CAP/CLIA Environment - Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Informational Medtech Europe guidance – Use of Symbols to Indicate Compliance with the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
lilybef Medical Devices & US TAA (Trade Agreement Act) Compliance - 2019 Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 5
M How is Class I Medical Device Compliance Enforced? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Kuldeep Singh Is Compliance Testing of IEC 60601-2-63 mandatory for Europe - Dental X-Ray machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Kuldeep Singh IEC 60601-1-9 Compliance mendatory or Not - CT Scan machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
L IEC 60601-1-11 IP22 Compliance - Ingress protection testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Relevance of Offsite backups process compliance and ISO 27001 certification. IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
A System for Compliance Management (Medical Device) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
B ISO 9001:2015 vs ISO 13485:2016 for MDR Compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Compliance to standards (ISO 80369) but the ID is out of specification Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
L REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
C Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance - The RA guy/girl Employment Act EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Template of a Management Review Agenda or Report in compliance with ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Informational How To Avoid Compliance & Timeline Risks When Selecting A Medical Device Supplier Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Saving QMS documents in cloud drive - Compliance with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E IEC 60601-1-2 compliance for accessories - Electromagnetic compatibility of the ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
I Food Contact Materials Declaration of Compliance Inquiry - (EC) 1935/2004 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4