Complying with TS 16949 and QS-9000 Supplier (Subcontractor) Development Requirements

J

Jim Biz

I've seen this often "disguised" as "Partnerships". Result is customer inputs "this is what we expect of you" Supplier input is "ok if thats what you want".

W

warshe

Quality System development and implementation plan

I am writing now the diploma work, which will be devoted to quality system development and implementation under ISO 9000:2000. Please, tell me, what should include the plan of quality system development and implementation and which sequence of activities should an organization follow ? Unfortunately, I have no books in ones I could get answers to my questions. This Forum is more concrete and have been helping many. Thank you in advance for help.

C

Carlos

Subcontractor development

How does 4.6.2.1 apply to my company?
Since we are II tier supplier or subcontractor, as defined by the standard, and QS registered I am not really sure if we are required to comply with this element.

A

Al Dyer

I assume since you are already QS-9000 that you have a system in place. 4.6.2.1 is a requirement and needs to be addressed.

Just as a good business practice, wouldn't you want to develop and improve your supplier base?

Don't think of it as a cost, think of it as a potential cost savings!

ASD...

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
I agree with Al.
IMHO the real point of supplier development is to get your supplier to understand the industry you are working in. The demands of your customer for targets of 0 PPM are not understood down the tiers and you need them to understand the problems of non conformaties for you and your customers. They need this support to build a system that helps them to help you. The importance that you know about being proactive must be transfered to them.
My big beef is that the OEM's and the big tier 1's do not spend enough time on supplier development but just wield the big stick.

------------------
Howard Atkins

A

AllenLee

Supplier Development

As you know, in QS9000 3rd edition interpretations, it requires "subcontractors to achieve compliance within a defined period of time not to exceed 18 months ...".

My question is: what is the meaning of "subcontractor"? for directly raw material supplier only ? who can give me a category?

Thanks in advance!

Allen

------------------
Allen Lee

A

AllenLee

Thanks!
By definition (page 133 of the Standard, definition of SubContractor) a subcontractor is "defined as providers of production materials, or production or service parts, directly to a supplier to Chrysler, Ford, General Motors or other customers subscribing to this document."
And we have direct raw material subcontractors just like Lead frame, gold wire, epoxy, compound..., sub material subcontractors: wafer mount tape, alcohol,packing box..., also have the tooling subcontractor as die saw blade, wire bond capilliary, trim/form die ...

All of them need get the minimum ISO9000 certificate?

Rgds!

Allen

------------------
Allen Lee

Top Bottom