Component Calibration - Overall TUR for a loop? ANSI/NCSL Z-540 Standard Section 10.2

Did you find the responses to this thread useful?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat

• Not Interested

• Total voters
J

John McIntosh

I am looking for clarification on the following statements from the ANSI/NCSL Z-540 Standard and Handbook :
Section 10.2 "…if such techniques or analyses are not used, then the collective uncertainty of the measurement standards shall not exceed 25% of the acceptable tolerance (e.g., manufacturer's specification) for each characteristic of the measuring and test equipment being calibrated or verified."

"A TAR of 4:1 means that the tolerance of a parameter (specification) being tested is equal to or greater than four times the combination of the uncertainties of all the measurement standards employed in the test."

I am in the process of promoting the use of uncertainty analysis techniques within our organization; however, we currently rely on the "4 to 1" rule for calibration of process instrumentation.

The catch is that for some loops we perform "component" calibrations. Typically, these calibrations employ two M&TE to characterize a sensor and a third M&TE to simulate an input to a transmitter or display. The tolerance being tested results from the combination of both of the independent calibrations. An example would be a thermocouple calibration and calibration of a temperature transmitter to a computer system.

My problem comes in applying the Z-540 statements to the loop calibration. Each calibration uses an M&TE transfer standard that has a tolerance 4 times better than the characteristic being calibrated. However Z-540 uses the terms "collective uncertainty" and "combination of uncertainties". How does one combine or collect uncertainties for independent characteristics in order to come up with an overall TAR for a loop? In my example, I would need to combine the uncertainties of my temperature standard (deg C), my meter (uV) and my voltage source (uV). I have been told that although each component calibration uses equipment that meets 4:1, my loop TAR would not necessarily meet 4:1.
Any direction or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't have all my documents in front of me. But as my recollection serves me, there is a common method for calculating TAR (or TUR - Test Uncertainty Ratio) called RSS (Root Sum Square).

In this method. You square the tolerance for each standard used, add the squares together, then derive the square root of that sum.

For example if you use three standards. One has a tolerance of +/-1%, the second has a tolerance of +/-.1%, and the third standard has a tolerance of +/-1.5%. You square each of those (I get 1, 0.01, and 2.25). The sum of the squares is 3.26. The square root of that is 1.805% (which would be the RSS uncertainty).

There are varying opinions on this, but RSS is accepted by many in the metrology field.

Depending on what depth you want, there are also the aspects of confidence level. That is, in your calibration recall system, you set calibration intervals based on a percent confidence the units will remain in tolerance (95% is quite common). All items included in the RSS should be maintained at calibration intervals established based on the same confidence level. If you happen to have a copy of Fluke Corporation's book, "Calibration: Philosophy In Practice", 2nd Edition, it has a description on page 22-4 and 22-5 of this method of combining uncertainties. NCSL also has (I believe) a recommended practice on this, which I can not locate at the moment.

R

Ryan Wilde

John wrote:

How does one combine or collect uncertainties for independent characteristics in order to come up with an overall TAR for a loop? In my example, I would need to combine the uncertainties of my temperature standard (deg C), my meter (uV) and my voltage source (uV)
It seems that you have two pieces already in µV. I would bet that the uncertainty of your temp standard can be converted. Say your standard is ±1°C, and your UUT nominally measures 1 µV/°C. Your uncertainty of your standard in like terms would be ± 1 µV.

I have been told that although each component calibration uses equipment that meets 4:1, my loop TAR would not necessarily meet 4:1
This is true. Say your component tolerance is ±10µV, Your meter is ±2µV, your voltage source is ±2µV, and your converted temperature standard uncertainty is ±2µV.

Your combined uncertainty of standards would be SQR(2^2 + 2^2 + 2^2), or 3.464µV. In this case, you do not meet TUR.

One big problem with my overly simplified analogy is the lack of use of distribution. If these are straight manufacturer's specifications, then I actually have a rectangular distribution (which means it is within this range, but there is an equal possibility that the actual error is anywhere within the range). Rectangular distribution is the total tolerance divided by the square root of 3. In the case of ±2µV, it would be 2/SQR(3), or 1.155 in a normal distribution. Using this pattern, your combined uncertainty of standards would be SQR(1.155^2 + 1.155^2 + 1.155^2), or approximately 2. This is a single standard distribution, so it is not quite adequate. The accepted use in metrology these days is two standard distributions (k=2). So now we have to multiply our standard distribution by 2 (the k), which is 4 (I know, that's a duh). So our uncertainty of standards would be ±4µV, which again is inadequate, but even worse.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

J

John McIntosh

Thank you!

Thank you Ryan and Jerry. Your comments were very helpful.

Although I have used "dithering" to come up with sensitivity coefficients for my uncertainty analyses, I did not know I could use a characteristic conversion to convert my standard's uncertainty to the same units as my meter and voltage source. In this case I can take advantage of the NIST monagraph tables for thermocouples or DIN tables for RTDs to determine the conversion for my temperature standard over the range of interest.

Fortunately my standards are calibrated at an on-site calibration laboratory and their uncertainties are reported with k=2.
Thanks again. John

A

assuranceman

John mentions a Z-540 Handbook. Could you tell me where the handbook comes from? This is the second time I have seen a reference to an interpretative handbook.

J

John McIntosh

ANSI/NCSL Standard

Hal,
The American National Standard For Calibration - Calibration Laboratories and Measuring and Test Equipment - General Requirements Handbook (ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994 Handbook)is available from NCSL for $40 (book) $45 (cd rom)at their website http://www.ncslinternational.org - Link was: /publications/pubs-list.cfm (and other quality related literature websites). Another standard with some interpretation added is the American National Standard for Calibration Systems (ANSI/ASQC M1-1996).
John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T System Calibration vs. Component Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Relabelling a component that will be sold as a spare part - Do I become legal manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S PSW - Requirements for "off-the shelf" component that has multiply manufacturing locations Off the Shelf Item Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
J Traceability of component parts - Bolts, screws and washers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
J What is the minimum standard for automotive component traceability? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Informational US FDA – URGENT/11 Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities in a Widely-Used Third-Party Software Component May Introduce Risks During Use of Certain Medical Dev Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
F Component Molding and Over-molding - Handling Resin Inventory Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S REF and CE mark symbols on multi-component device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J EC REP information and CE Mark - Component of a system that is not a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Domain of the component (EASA CM No.: CM-SWCEH-001 Issue 01 Revision 02) Point 9.3.3 (Usage domain aspects) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
R IMDS for double sourced component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N FDA Traceability Requirements - Component lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
S Medical Device Supplier Component Qualification Service Industry Specific Topics 0
A Is a Manufacturing Process Sheet required for each Component? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R 21 CFR Part 820 Contract Manufacturer of Medical Device Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
I Medical device manufacturer and component supplier miscommunication Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Methods of reducing/eliminating the systematic component of error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Non Applications in ISO 13485:2016 for component contract manufacturers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S The difference between a Medical Device Accessory and Component Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
R Determining Sample Size for Medical Device Component Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
K Biocompatibility Testing - Component Level or Assembled Medical Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Who compiles the Critical Component List, Insulation Diagram etc.? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
MDD_QNA What is the function of the Critical Component List? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Cleanliness and Contamination question (Medical Device Component Manufacturer) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Component Manufacturer of Food Stuffs Mfg. Equipment Parts - Eat Drink Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E Updating DHF (Design History File) to include Alternative Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S ISO 13485 Definitions - Medical Device Component Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M ISO 13485:2016 - IQ/OQ Requirements applicable to Electronic Component Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
MDD_QNA Medical Device PCB component change IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
M Component Lot Number Traceability - Class I reusable and "resposable" Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
R USB power between Medical Device Data Collection Device Component IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
O What is the definition of d.c component in standard IEC 60601-2-10? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Who's name should be on component certification? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R RoHS Compliance Problem with One Component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
J Biocompatibility Evaluation component other than Testing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
alonFAI Component Failure (Relay) during ICT Testing after Surface Mount Assembly Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V AQL for Component Level and Assembled Finished Product AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
alonFAI Solderability test and component's life expectency Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R ERAI - Counterfeit Component Database (Listed on page 39 of AS5553A) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
O Changes to Component Parts within an Assembly AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B IEC 60825-1 Kit Component Requirement questions Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2