Component Failure (Relay) during ICT Testing after Surface Mount Assembly

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
Hi Guys, I have another question :notme::rolleyes:

I work as a quality engineer in an SMT line.
We have a problem with a relay. When the PCBA undergo ICT test, it indicated that this relay is damaged (functionality). I'm trying to understand what causing it to the relay. One thing I've noticed is, that according to the datasheet of the relay the Tsmin(minimum soak temperature) is 150C while our reflow temperature profile start the soak period with 130C.
Is there any influence for using a lower soak temperature then the minimum component soak temperature dictated by the manufacturer?​
Does anyone else have any other idea why this component is failing (at least 40% of our PCBA has this failed component) could it be destroyed by the ICT test itself?​
(Again, the fail is functional)​
*I've attached a picture with the profile of the component.​
Thank you so much!​
Alon​

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Help - Component Fail - ICT

Hi Alon ~~~
Is the relay failing due to a bad solder joint ?....
Or is the relay a fail when it is taken out of the PCBA also...
What is the package and footprint of the relay

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator

It might help to know what is the failure - I assume the failure is in the coil, not the movement of the contacts or the contacts themselves? If the failure is related to the coil, are we talking an open or a short? If it is an open, can you identify the open as being actually in the coil, or in the connections to the coil?

B

Bjourne

Hi Alon ~~~
Is the relay failing due to a bad solder joint ?....
Or is the relay a fail when it is taken out of the PCBA also...
What is the package and footprint of the relay
Yes I agree. I would be better if we knew what the failure is due to..."package-footprint" --as quoted..perhaps some more info please..:)

P

PaulJSmith

Agree with all of the above ... and should we assume that you've already checked your stock and ruled out bad components from your vendor?

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
Hi guys short update. The components where sent back to the manufacturer for analysis. Good chance this a design or manufacturing process fault..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
V Investigating Material and Component Failure FMEA and Control Plans 0
J FDA 510K - Justifying Fatigue Test results - 3rd Party Component Failure US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
D ISO 14971 Risk Analysis - Effects of component failure on the patient ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
J Traceability of component parts - Bolts, screws and washers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
J What is the minimum standard for automotive component traceability? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Informational US FDA – URGENT/11 Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities in a Widely-Used Third-Party Software Component May Introduce Risks During Use of Certain Medical Dev Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
F Component Molding and Over-molding - Handling Resin Inventory Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S REF and CE mark symbols on multi-component device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J EC REP information and CE Mark - Component of a system that is not a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Domain of the component (EASA CM No.: CM-SWCEH-001 Issue 01 Revision 02) Point 9.3.3 (Usage domain aspects) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
R IMDS for double sourced component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N FDA Traceability Requirements - Component lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Medical Device Supplier Component Qualification Service Industry Specific Topics 0
A Is a Manufacturing Process Sheet required for each Component? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R 21 CFR Part 820 Contract Manufacturer of Medical Device Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
I Medical device manufacturer and component supplier miscommunication Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Methods of reducing/eliminating the systematic component of error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Non Applications in ISO 13485:2016 for component contract manufacturers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S The difference between a Medical Device Accessory and Component Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
R Determining Sample Size for Medical Device Component Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
K Biocompatibility Testing - Component Level or Assembled Medical Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Who compiles the Critical Component List, Insulation Diagram etc.? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
MDD_QNA What is the function of the Critical Component List? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Cleanliness and Contamination question (Medical Device Component Manufacturer) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Component Manufacturer of Food Stuffs Mfg. Equipment Parts - Eat Drink Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E Updating DHF (Design History File) to include Alternative Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S ISO 13485 Definitions - Medical Device Component Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M ISO 13485:2016 - IQ/OQ Requirements applicable to Electronic Component Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
MDD_QNA Medical Device PCB component change IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
M Component Lot Number Traceability - Class I reusable and "resposable" Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
R USB power between Medical Device Data Collection Device Component IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
O What is the definition of d.c component in standard IEC 60601-2-10? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Who's name should be on component certification? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R RoHS Compliance Problem with One Component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
J Biocompatibility Evaluation component other than Testing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V AQL for Component Level and Assembled Finished Product AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
alonFAI Solderability test and component's life expectency Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R ERAI - Counterfeit Component Database (Listed on page 39 of AS5553A) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
O Changes to Component Parts within an Assembly AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B IEC 60825-1 Kit Component Requirement questions Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Molded Component Color Tolerance Specification Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Is the firmware in a component OTS if it is customised? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2