Component Failure (Relay) during ICT Testing after Surface Mount Assembly

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
Hi Guys, I have another question :notme::rolleyes:

I work as a quality engineer in an SMT line.
We have a problem with a relay. When the PCBA undergo ICT test, it indicated that this relay is damaged (functionality). I'm trying to understand what causing it to the relay. One thing I've noticed is, that according to the datasheet of the relay the Tsmin(minimum soak temperature) is 150C while our reflow temperature profile start the soak period with 130C.
Is there any influence for using a lower soak temperature then the minimum component soak temperature dictated by the manufacturer?​
Does anyone else have any other idea why this component is failing (at least 40% of our PCBA has this failed component) could it be destroyed by the ICT test itself?​
(Again, the fail is functional)​
*I've attached a picture with the profile of the component.​
Thank you so much!​
Alon​

Attachments

• Component Profile.png
    Component Profile.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 232

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: Help - Component Fail - ICT

Hi Alon ~~~
Is the relay failing due to a bad solder joint ?....
Or is the relay a fail when it is taken out of the PCBA also...
What is the package and footprint of the relay

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

It might help to know what is the failure - I assume the failure is in the coil, not the movement of the contacts or the contacts themselves? If the failure is related to the coil, are we talking an open or a short? If it is an open, can you identify the open as being actually in the coil, or in the connections to the coil?

B

Bjourne

Hi Alon ~~~
Is the relay failing due to a bad solder joint ?....
Or is the relay a fail when it is taken out of the PCBA also...
What is the package and footprint of the relay

Yes I agree. I would be better if we knew what the failure is due to..."package-footprint" --as quoted..perhaps some more info please..:)

P

PaulJSmith

Agree with all of the above ... and should we assume that you've already checked your stock and ruled out bad components from your vendor?

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
Hi guys short update. The components where sent back to the manufacturer for analysis. Good chance this a design or manufacturing process fault..

Top Bottom