Computer System Validation - Migrating to SAP

E

Emma2015

Hi All,
We are currently changing from our old computer system to SAP. I know we need to validate the system but unsure of exactly is entailed. I have asked the vendor too provide us with a validation document but looked at me as if it was alien. From what I understand this is a document that details our scope, the standard procedures, how it is going to be implements etc. Can someone please help me if I am correct and explain how I can obtain this from our supplier. Many Thanks Emma

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulJSmith

Welcome to The Cove, Emma!

Based on my past experience, good luck getting anything helpful out of those people.

Besides, you really need to validate that the software is working correctly in your system. I don't think that SAP or their vendor can offer you any pre-existing document to do that for you.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've worked with SAP in the past and my company basically had their own corporate SAP support staff who developed the validation for the modules we used.
We got nothing from SAP themselves other than training and technical support.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
My experience is in medical devices so your requirements may differ.

But in general, validation needs to be done on your system anyway. If the vendor has some testing results, you may be able to get some lift but it would need to be supported.

The first step is to define your requirements for use. If you're not using all the features available, there's no need to include that in the validation.

The requirements form the foundation for the testing efforts.

You may also want to consider security and roles. (This is where it's especially important to demonstrate on your system since you may set things up differently than the vendor).

Another consideration is to demonstrate that it's installed correctly. The vendor should be able to provide specs on the server requirements, network requirements, etc. There may also be client-side parts to consider. You can document that you have installed the system correctly (here again, there may be some security aspects to consider) and that your network is properly configured to support the system. Also, you may want to get a list of known issues with the software and make an assessment as to whether or not this will impact your operations.

You may want to do some robustness assessments. Will the installation be able to handle the maximum load expected? Are there security vulnerabilities?

Realize, though, that validation goes beyond testing. Validation is a state. Once you achieve the validated state, the controls need to be in place to ensure you can stay there. New versions will roll out, patches will be applied, etc. These need to be considered for re-validation activities.

That's about it in a (very tiny) nutshell. It's not a trivial effort but it's a good investment to provide reasonable assurance of a reliable system.

Joe Cruse

Mopar or No Car
We didn't go with SAP, but recently went live with an ERP system. Validation, for us, meant having a "practice" environment, where all the core developer team for our company built a set of practice data in the practice environment, and did testing for several months with the environment. Once all sections were verified as working with the test data, the built system in the practice environment was copied over to the "Live" environment, and all current data from the old systems were imported to the Live system at the end of the final month of operations under the old systems. We then started a new month, going "live" with the new ERP.
Naturally, we found the need for new pieces to the system, as we matured over the next several months, and even now, after almost 2 years of use. When new things are required, it is built in the "practice" environment, and the users test it there until it is deemed fit for use. The IT Mgr then copies that new piece into the "Live" system for use.
Pretty easy to document and then demonstrate to an auditor; VERY time consuming to do though.

Good luck and best wishes! I don't wish implementation or Go-Live on my worst enemy.

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi All,
We are currently changing from our old computer system to SAP. I know we need to validate the system but unsure of exactly is entailed. I have asked the vendor too provide us with a validation document but looked at me as if it was alien. From what I understand this is a document that details our scope, the standard procedures, how it is going to be implements etc. Can someone please help me if I am correct and explain how I can obtain this from our supplier. Many Thanks Emma
Validation would focus on 3 items:
1. List of what it should be able to do - these are the functions you paid for, or at least the vendor committed to deliver. Make sure they are working as intended (i.e. notify low inventory items, create report for system inventory, etc)
2. List of things it should not be able to do - these are the high risk failures that you want to prevent. Make sure they don't happen (i.e. a staff can approve a thousand $ order. If this is a big no, test and make sure you the system does not allow you to do that)
3. Data Integrity - run a report and compare output with your current system. They should agree with a certain tolerance. If your old system says you have 1,000 units of inventory then SAP should give the same figure. If they don't agree then at least show that what SAP gave is the real figure and the old system is wrong.

These three are tedious to carry out. In fact making a list alone for 1 and 2 is tedious by itself as you need to get as many perspectives as possible. As for item #3, be patient and stand your ground. Assume SAP is wrong when values don't agree - unless of course conclusively proven to be the other way around.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Computer System Validation of Bioinformatics Pipeline Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
D Validation of Computer and Network Equipment Test System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Medical Device Manufacturer Document Control Computer System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
AnaMariaVR2 Computer System Validation Resources for the FDA Regulated Industry Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
B Computer System Validation Records - Document Destroy Date - Animal pharma company Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
G Computer software validation system in medical device industry ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F EMC testing for a system that is provided with a computer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
N Computer System Access and Security Procedure example wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Strategy to allow for OTS computer use as part of a Medical Equipment System EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Computer System for Inspection Balloons in Technical Drawings Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Options for OTS Computer as part of Medical Equipment System IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (COMPUTER TERMS, NUMBER SYSTEM AND DIGITAL) The Reading Room 0
J Developing Manufacturing Routings, etc - Computer based Work Order system training Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Kanban System Game - A Computer Simulation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
F An Implementation Plan for a New Computer System Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Electronic Records for FDA - Canned computer program for our Corrective Action system Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Implanted Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) Devices for Patients with Paralysis or Amputation – Non-clinical Testing and Clinical Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Use of password managers on validated computer systems (21 CFR Part 11) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
L How to classify this computer-alike IT device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
U CE Marking of Customized Ruggedised Computer Systems Solutions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Q ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Computer Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Computer stations unlocked - Office Stations vs Production Stations Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
howste ASQ is Transitioning to Computer Based Exams ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
R Network/Computer Data Migration Sampling GMP Software Quality Assurance 1
D SDS (MSDS) for complex products such as a TV, computer, cars, etc Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
Q The ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement (Computer Software) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Class II Medical Device with Software - Change to Computer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Is a computer used in hospitals considered a medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
Marc Shopping for Computer Spyware After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Q 21 CFR 820.30 - Automated with Computer Software - Applicable? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A Is Computer Helpdesk a Special Process ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Computer Viruses Are "Rampant" on Medical Devices in Hospitals World News 0
I Confirmation of Computer Software to satisfy Intended Application Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
N Complying with ISO 9001 7.6 - Customer Provided Computer and Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Gages on Computer Screens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Life after the Personal Computer After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
A Suggest Computer Aided Quality Assurance (CAQ) software for Medical Devices Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
F Traceability Requirements for Computer Hardware Equipment under ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Computer Monitoring - Our company is implementing keyloggers IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 11
X Computer-Aided Detection for Mammography - Class A, B or C? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
N 7.5.2.1 Validation of the Application of the Computer Software - PLEASE CLARIFY ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Best Way for SPC via Optical Comparator with output to Computer for Data Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K Malware affecting my computer operation After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
S Computer Simulation Validation Tests for Underwater Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K I.T. Management in Clause 4.2.3? Control of Computer Data Backup and Access Security ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I CE Mark for Standalone Medical Computer Monitoring Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Marc AIDS Puzzle Solved By Computer Gamers World News 1