Computing Cpk with out determining if my data is normal

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
Hi Covers,

What would be the implications if I directly compute the Cpk with out determining if my data is normal. What should I use in computing using Minitabd - Stat >QualityTools >Capability Analysis >Normal? Between/ Within?.
I was just confuse because some of my costumers dont ask me to find out if my data is normal. Other costumers ask me to do normality test before cpk computation.

Kuyakut

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Cp and Cpk assume normality. If your data are not normal, Cpk will be incorrect. For example if your data were right skewed. Cpl would be understated and Cpu would be overstated. Customers that don't request it either assume that you already know, or they themselves do not know.

Use Capability Analysis > Normal if your data are normal. Use Capability Analysis > Nonnormal if your data are nonnormal. Between/Within is used more as a diagnostic to determine where the variation comes from.

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Miner,

I always do normality test when ever I compute the Cpk. But with recents process capability report that I do. The costumer suggested not to do normality test and straight away compute the cpk.

Kuyakut.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
unfortunately many Customers don't really understand what they are asking for...the fact that they are even askign for Cpk is a sign that they are just looking for a check the box action. by suggesting that you not perfrom a Normality test they are simply confirming it.

for your own sake, if you must supply a Cpk value, always check for Normality.

As for the within/between choice it really depends on your customer. In general Cpk is commonly used to mean long term capability and is calculated using the total standard deviaiton of all of the values. (within AND bewteen).
Since your Customer is suggesting that you not do the Normality test I would assume that they are really looking for this long term capability number.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
unfortunately many Customers don't really understand what they are asking for...the fact that they are even askign for Cpk is a sign that they are just looking for a check the box action. by suggesting that you not perfrom a Normality test they are simply confirming it.
Amen!!! Rubber stamped again!!

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
My knowledge of statistic is only limited. Just a few more follow up question..

1. If the data is non normal , normally the process capability graph in the minitab will indicate only ppk not cpk . Am i correct?
2. You base your normality data check via p - value?
3. If my cpk is low ie. 0.88 does this mean my data is not normal or just my data's are not enough to compute cpk. Or my data is skewed to left or to right.

Thanks again,

Kuyakut

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
1. If the data is non normal , normally the process capability graph in the minitab will indicate only ppk not cpk . Am i correct?
No. (at least it shouldn't - I'm not a minitab user) Normality has nothing to do with the calculation of Ppk or Cpk.

Please note that the value your Customer is most likely looking for is the Ppk value. It has become common language to ask for Cpk when actually asking for the value as calculated by Ppk.

2. You base your normality data check via p - value?
yes.

3. If my cpk is low ie. 0.88 does this mean my data is not normal or just my data's are not enough to compute cpk. Or my data is skewed to left or to right.
NO. it means your process variation is such that there are parts outside the spec limits. this can be from a Normal distribution or any other type of distribution including skewed distributions.

IF you assume Normality when your Process isn't Normal you may get a lower Ppk value than your process actually has if it is not Normal. ALWAYS plot your data in a time series chart and look at the actual distribution vs the spec limits (histogram).

I would also recommend that you read up on Process Capability indices here at the cove (there are several good links below and a simple search will yield you many threads addressign this topic) and then perhaps buy a good book on the topic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Is computing Hardware part of the IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Should Data be Normal before Computing Baselines? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Cloud Computing Requirements for Design History Files for Software Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
S Computing Control Limits in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Jen Kirley What's procedurally required for "cloud computing"? TS16949 Clause 4.2.4. Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
K CE Certification for Secure Computing/Tempest company CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Help on p-chart - Computing new control limits and chart suitability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
P Computing six sigma when the USL & LSL are varying Six Sigma 16
R Computing Supplier Quality with multiple UOM Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
Marc Silicon-based chip that can produce laser beams - Major computing advancement After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
A Overall equipment effectiveness - Computing OEE taking all machines taken together Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
Marc Hacker Hunters - An elite force takes on the dark side of computing After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Cpk demands from automotive customer Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
Q Can I use Cpk to compare if one part is usable in another part? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
C Capability in sewing processes CP,CPk,PP,PPk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
G What's the difference between 1.32 and 1.33 Cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
W LTPD, AQL, Ppk and Cpk validation sampling plan table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
M Cp and Cpk for straightness and parallelism Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
U Cpk Calculation - I analyse a double seam cans Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
F CpK on a manufactured assembly? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
M How is the Cmk and Cpk calculated? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
O Cpk for Unilateral Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
B How to calculate CPK with n = 1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O CPK with a P value less than 0.005 Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Cpk Formula seems off, need help!? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
E Questions regarding Cpk Calculation - Should we be using LSL/USL or LCL/UCL? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Maximum Material Condition with Bonus - Determine Cpk for this one kpc Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
T Calculating LCL, UCL, Cp, and Cpk in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Proud Liberal Cpk on Position w/ MMC on Location and Size Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Track Cpk trend Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
P Non-normal Data Cpk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
alonFAI Cpk for Solder Paste Height Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
T Cpk for 0 as Ideal Value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Profile Tolerance and CPK Manufacturing and Related Processes 3