Conducting an MSA Test on scales

I was required to evaluate whether the current calibrations applied to some scales are allowing for accurate weight readings. I've read that since the scales control an aspect of production (i.e. the quantity of raw materials in a given product), I should conduct an MSA study on the scales. However, this is a very intermediate step in the overall process, and for this reason I had conducted an independent two sample t-test instead, comparing the scale readouts between a scale of interest and a separate/reliable scale. Is the t-test sufficient, or should an MSA test be conducted as well?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
The two answer very different questions:
  • The t-test answers the question: Do the mean weights of the two scales differ from each other?
  • The MSA, consisting of:
    • Bias - Answers the question: Does the mean weight differ from the standard.
    • Linearity - Answers the question: Does the bias differ by the magnitude of the measurement?
    • Stability - Answers the question: Does the bias change over time?
    • R&R - Answers the question: What is the precision (variation) when one person makes the same measurement multiple times? AND What is the precision when multiple people make the same measurements?
Notice that these are all different questions.

The two answer very different questions:
  • The t-test answers the question: Do the mean weights of the two scales differ from each other?
  • The MSA, consisting of:
    • Bias - Answers the question: Does the mean weight differ from the standard.
    • Linearity - Answers the question: Does the bias differ by the magnitude of the measurement?
    • Stability - Answers the question: Does the bias change over time?
    • R&R - Answers the question: What is the precision (variation) when one person makes the same measurement multiple times? AND What is the precision when multiple people make the same measurements?
Notice that these are all different questions.
Thank you for your response. I was thinking that the t-test could be sufficient to answer the question of whether the scale of interest was preforming reliably based on how close the readouts were to the readouts of a scale that's used as a baseline reference. I understand that which direction is chosen is based on the question to be answered. However, if the question is only to determine whether the scale of interest is properly calibrated, would you believe that the t-test is the proper variable to calculate? The scales are calibrated every so often, and the intention behind this study is to ensure that the calibrations are providing for accurate readings every time this instrument is used.

Thank you

Last edited:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
One thing to consider is if the weighing system is repeatable. (At this point I am assuming you are weighing a single raw material and not weighing a box full of parts to assure a count in the box) There is more than just the scale at work here. Some raw material can stick to certain ‘scoop’ material. This changes how much material is delivered to the scale. Some material is very ‘slippery’ and can fly away. While this isn’t a ‘traditional’ repeatability gauge R&R it is one of the considerations of a measurement system and goes to the function and purpose of said system. This is why I teach and practice MSA and not just “Gauge R&R”.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Conducting an MSA study for ICT(HP3070) and Functional Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Is conducting of all MSA studies required, even if not required by the customer? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
B Best Methods for conducting Shadowgraph MSA Studies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
O Conducting MSA on Multiple Measurement Mystems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Need help calculating actual Ppk - Result of % GR&R=11.8% when conducting MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
automoto Excel (xlsx) spreadsheet for conducting Type 1 MSA Analysis. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 23
P Conducting a MSA - Measurement of plaster by use of a scoop - I need Help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/NP TS 17012 - Guidelines for use of remote methods in conducting audits of management systems Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M Lean: Conducting Capacity Study, calculating Cycle times on laser cutting machines Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
atitheya Need of conducting medical trials in European Union EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Pmarszal ISO 19011:2018 - Risk Based Approach for planning, conducting and reporting of internal audits Internal Auditing 8
T Results from conducting a Capability Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
P Suggestions on conducting Internal Audit of a new site Internal Auditing 15
dubrizo Internal Audit Value - What is the point of conducting internal audits to a checklist Internal Auditing 40
Q AS9100 Repairs - Approval from a non-aerospace customer prior to conducting a repair AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
M Conducting a Project for Safety Improvement Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M Sample size when conducting capability analysis with OK and NOK parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N Who is responsible for conducting Root Cause investigation? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
H What information do I need to collect when conducting 2nd party audit? General Auditing Discussions 6
drgnrider Suggestions for conducting a Spill Clean-up Exercise Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
C What kind of information you provide when conducting QMS Orientation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
G Conducting a Bias Study for a CMM with no Traceable Master or Reference value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Conducting Limited Internal Audits of QMS Elements - Simple question I hope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Conducting ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004 New Supplier Audit Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Anyone use an iPad for conducting Audits? Internal Auditing 18
T Conducting the "are all points within the control limits" test when there is no LCL? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L Conducting Gap Analysis for ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
A Conducting a DOE in Minitab - Improving Surface Finish of an Impeller Using Minitab Software 10
K Advisable Period of Records to be Checked in Conducting an Audit Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
B Conducting a study on Hexagon Nuts "turned" on a multi-spindle automatic lathe Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
W Conducting Audit and Audit Report in accordance to 21 CFR 820 and ISO 13485 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
Q Design of Experiments Using Subgroup Data - Conducting a 2^3 factorial DoE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
M Send a Supplier an Audit Plan prior to conducting an audit at their premises? General Auditing Discussions 8
P Suggestions on conducting an Internal Audit on 7.5.1.6 Production Scheduling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Forms and Templates used for Conducting Internal Audits (API Q1/TS 29001) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
S Time Study Std/Books that define minimum requirements for conducting time study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
Y Conducting a Mock Recall on a Medical Device Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
H Gathering the Data before Conducting GR&R (Gage R&R) Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Colin Conducting audits without procedures Internal Auditing 8
J Conducting Gage R&R - 300 plug gauges - Different diameters - One for each plug gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
F Conducting an ISO 9001, Clause 5.xx audit General Auditing Discussions 12
T Conducting an Energy Usage Audit - Seeking template or form Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
A Goods-In Process Audit - Any pointers or hints for conducting a 'good' audit? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
Marc Conducting Internal Audits vs. Third Party (Registrar) Audits Internal Auditing 11
J ISO 9001 'Compliant' Company - Conducting a supplier audit on a major supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
L Conducting general overview training on ISO 14001 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S MSA annual plan Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2