Configuration management system for research activities

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Has anyone here ever developed a configuration management system for research activities? I'm looking at trying to help our research department with configuration management to better help them control the history of their conceptual designs. I'm open to ideals.

Thanks,

al40

Last edited:

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I would want to ask a few questions, first. First, is there a particular problem you are trying to solve? Second, is this an issue that the research department wants you to solve? Finally, what exactly do you mean by "configuration management?" It's a term that's tossed about casually sometimes and there are plenty of opportunities for confusion based on individual perception.

There are multiple levels of "configuration management" and each can be addressed somewhat individually. If you're just wanting to preserve the history of conceptual designs, you might be able to get by with just archiving design snapshots; i.e., take a snapshot of the design, append a date to it, and store it off for however long you need.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is "full" configuration management, complete with change tracking, change history, audit trails, version management, change authorization, tagging, ability to back out changes, integration with problem reporting systems, etc. At this level, you need commercial tools to provide adequate support.

Don't know if that helps much. I'll be happy to expand on any of this or go into further depth on particular actions with you.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would want to ask a few questions, first. First, is there a particular problem you are trying to solve? Second, is this an issue that the research department wants you to solve? Finally, what exactly do you mean by "configuration management?" It's a term that's tossed about casually sometimes and there are plenty of opportunities for confusion based on individual perception.

There are multiple levels of "configuration management" and each can be addressed somewhat individually. If you're just wanting to preserve the history of conceptual designs, you might be able to get by with just archiving design snapshots; i.e., take a snapshot of the design, append a date to it, and store it off for however long you need.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is "full" configuration management, complete with change tracking, change history, audit trails, version management, change authorization, tagging, ability to back out changes, integration with problem reporting systems, etc. At this level, you need commercial tools to provide adequate support.

Don't know if that helps much. I'll be happy to expand on any of this or go into further depth on particular actions with you.

To answer some of your questions:

a.) Executive Management wants to maintian the history of how a product came about.
b.) I think you hit the nail on the head with the "Snapshot" of a conceptual design.
c.) They are not looking for complete CM control as we have in our QMS, just the ability to recall conceptual designs in their orginal state prior to entering "new product development".

Thanks,
al40

Top Bottom