Conflict of Interest in Business

S

shohreh

Dear All,

Hope you all are doing fine.

there is an issue which bothers me related to the subject and would like to clarify with QMS evidence.
we have internal audit activity running in our firm via a 3rd party. their report always includes the observation, risk/implication, recommendation and management response. but at the same time, the same company is doing consultation business in term of documenting the policies, process and procedures in certain areas which also they audit.

from my point of view; both business contradict and it will be conflict of interest. Therefore, I would like your advice to support my theory with evidence in relation with QMS and ISMS or any management systems.

Thank you and best regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Gmzita

Good Luck with this.

I had a friend in a similar situation - Hired consultant who literally wrote the QA Program and then would accept commissions from other companies to come back in and audit that same program. He actually would write-up several negeative non-conformances against his own work and advise the QA Mgr that he was responsible to resolve them. During one audit - my friend actually left the audit because it got so bad.

In the end, he could not get management to see that there was a major conflict and opted to retire instead of continuing to deal with it.

My only piece of advise after witnessing his situation is to proceed with caution! Depending upon how entrenched the consultant is - you may be the one on the outside looking in.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
My employer requires self disclosure of any potential conflict of interest. For example, I teach courses as an adjunct for a local technical college. I have a form on file with my employer documenting I am paid to teach by that college. That would also require me to recuse myself from any decisions made with respect to supporting or using services from that college.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
from my point of view; both business contradict and it will be conflict of interest.
Is your point of view about your company or the third party ... ???
If about your company then it is nothing to do with conflict. It is about poor selection.
If about the third party, then as long as you are encouraging him with both hats, he is making double money from you and he will be more interested in your contracts than think of conflict of interest.
The third party will love conflicts for continued contracts.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Dear All,

Hope you all are doing fine.

there is an issue which bothers me related to the subject and would like to clarify with QMS evidence.
we have internal audit activity running in our firm via a 3rd party. their report always includes the observation, risk/implication, recommendation and management response. but at the same time, the same company is doing consultation business in term of documenting the policies, process and procedures in certain areas which also they audit.

from my point of view; both business contradict and it will be conflict of interest. Therefore, I would like your advice to support my theory with evidence in relation with QMS and ISMS or any management systems.

Thank you and best regards
First, "internal audit" by its very nature is not a conflict of interest - the goal is to assure the organization systems are working as intended, NOT to act as a policeman, judge, and jury to punish folks who err by accident, ignorance, or even intent.

The result of an internal audit is a report to management that one of the following situations exists:

1. everything is going according to the organization's written plan and there are no apparent reasons to change
  2. employees are not following the written plan and this is causing discrepancies or nonconformances in finished products or services - some action needs to be taken
  3. employees are not following the written plan, but their adaptations have resulted in improvements and investigation is required to determine if the written plan should be changed
  4. everything is going according to plan, but auditors have noticed some opportunities for improvements which might be explored

Item 4, of course, is a form of consulting and is one of the major bugaboos in third party auditing by registrars, but is perfectly acceptable and desired when doing in-house auditing.

Let me offer a bit of data which might put this in perspective:
Depending on the size of the consulting firm, it is entirely possible they have erected a type of Chinese Wall between consultants and auditors to deflect conflict of interest criticism. If they have, it is definitely one of the primary issues they discuss with the top management of a client company. Armed with such knowledge, the client can then make an informed decision about hiring the auditor/consultant.

I suspect OP is not high enough on the totem pole to have firsthand knowledge of the existence, if any, of such a Chinese Wall. Deming's theory about a System of Profound Knowledge (SoPK) posits such knowledge should be widely disseminated throughout the company. A good consulting firm should have made such dissemination part of the conditions of employment, precisely to avoid suspicions of conflict of interest.

Years ago, I started a thread about "Ethics." It did not specifically address "conflict of interest," but it did talk about how a low level employee should protect himself FIRST when he suspects wrongdoing in his organization. In any regard, I think OP would benefit from reading through this thread Ethics - Moral law vs. Criminal law especially this comment in Post 1
  1. Confirm your suspicion that you witnessed wrongdoing on purpose versus from ignorance. A guy who realizes he transposed his digits the first time he wrote an inspection dimension and erases the error is not a criminal - just a fool. A manager who creates a forged SPC chart to meet a 1.33 Cpk requirement is both a fool and a criminal.
  2. If the wrongdoing is from ignorance, your primary responsibility is to inform someone in authority within the organization so they can investigate and take some sort of corrective or preventive action.
  3. If the wrongdoing is from criminal intent, you ought to determine if it is limited to one individual or is systemic.
  4. If individual, see item (2), unless it is the very top officer; if systemic, or the top officer, see a qualified employment lawyer first, before gathering documents or secret recordings. The primary purpose of the lawyer is to protect you and your family, then to expose the criminal activity to proper authorities, perhaps even to cooperate or collaborate with authorities. Under no circumstances should you attempt to do any cooperation or collaboration with authorities without advice and agreement from your attorney every step of the way.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
First, "internal audit" by its very nature is not a conflict of interest - the goal is to assure the organization systems are working as intended, NOT to act as a policeman, judge, and jury to punish folks who err by accident, ignorance, or even intent.

The result of an internal audit is a report to management that one of the following situations exists:

1. everything is going according to the organization's written plan and there are no apparent reasons to change
  2. employees are not following the written plan and this is causing discrepancies or nonconformances in finished products or services - some action needs to be taken
  3. employees are not following the written plan, but their adaptations have resulted in improvements and investigation is required to determine if the written plan should be changed
  4. everything is going according to plan, but auditors have noticed some opportunities for improvements which might be explored
Item 4, of course, is a form of consulting and is one of the major bugaboos in third party auditing by registrars, but is perfectly acceptable and desired when doing in-house auditing.
Opportunities for improvement (OFIs) are a normal and expected output of third-party audits. What's generally considered "consulting" and out-of-bounds is advice in implementing them.

Let me offer a bit of data which might put this in perspective:
Depending on the size of the consulting firm, it is entirely possible they have erected a type of Chinese Wall between consultants and auditors to deflect conflict of interest criticism. If they have, it is definitely one of the primary issues they discuss with the top management of a client company. Armed with such knowledge, the client can then make an informed decision about hiring the auditor/consultant.

I suspect OP is not high enough on the totem pole to have firsthand knowledge of the existence, if any, of such a Chinese Wall. Deming's theory about a System of Profound Knowledge (SoPK) posits such knowledge should be widely disseminated throughout the company. A good consulting firm should have made such dissemination part of the conditions of employment, precisely to avoid suspicions of conflict of interest.
The potential conflict of interest the OP is referring to is simply a consulting firm that's doing internal auditing of documented procedures that they also designed. The question is, can the auditors be considered independent of the functions that they're auditing?

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Opportunities for improvement (OFIs) are a normal and expected output of third-party audits. What's generally considered "consulting" and out-of-bounds is advice in implementing them.
I did say "form of."
The potential conflict of interest the OP is referring to is simply a consulting firm that's doing internal auditing of documented procedures that they also designed. The question is, can the auditors be considered independent of the functions that they're auditing?
Precisely! Same individual does consulting AND audit? Probably a conflict, EXCEPT that he is really checking on whether the employees are executing the system he suggested, in which case, such "internal audit" is just evaluation of effectiveness of suggestion and training.

This "auditor" is not examining his system (perhaps his creation), but examining its implementation. I freely admit he may be biased and not willing to admit/tout the existence of either #3 or #4 situation in my list

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
J Lead Auditor and Quality Manager - Conflict of Interest? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
R Quality Manager Reporting to Director of Manufacturing - Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
T Internal Conflict of Interest in Managing Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C Can we choose to not allow auditor back on site? Conflict of Interest? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
D Internal Auditing Resource Conflict of Interest Internal Auditing 8
M Quality Control Reporting to Manufacturing - Conflict of Interest Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
V ISO 9001 Consultant + Welding Inspector for Same Client - Conflict of interest? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna Does The Cove aid in conflict of interest? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
R Independent Auditor - Conflict of interest question Internal Auditing 19
H Can our QMS Consultant Perform Internal Audits on our behalf (Conflict of Interest)? Internal Auditing 69
D Waivers - Deviations - Responsibility -- Potential departmental conflict of interest? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q Auditing Procedures we Authored - Conflict of Interest? Internal Auditing 17
A Does auditor have conflict of interest? Should we ask for different auditor? Registrars and Notified Bodies 12
B Dual Role Question - Metrologist AND Quality Manager - Conflict of Interest? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
CarolX Integrity lost? Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000 'Keepers' Profit from their books Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 42
Jerry Eldred Many Hats - Responsibilities Conflict of Interest General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Marc ISO Conflict of Interest - Duh... (This is New???) Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
S Conflict Minerals - Tin Suppliers CMRT Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
K EU MDR Rule 11 - Does the 'Risk logic' used in Rule 11 conflict with that used in the other rules? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
T Interview Question - Conflict between Production and Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 9
T When T&C's (Terms and Conditions) conflict with the ISO standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Wes Bucey Conflict Resolution (without bloodshed) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S FDA and Customs Label Conflict Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
Q Conflict Management - Systemic way to manage conflicts within Teams Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
F Quality Manager - Conflict of interests in organisational structure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
P Law restrictions in each country [REACH, CONFLICT MINERALS, Canada Gazette] RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
C How to handle this Inspection conflict? Second Shift Inspector? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P EU Conflict Minerals Regulation Interpretation RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
Q Conflict Minerals Reporting for Electronics Manufacturing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Q Conflict Minerals - A question on Scope RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
B Conflict between department of MSA and Capability Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Conflict Minerals reporting template for PPAP approval APQP and PPAP 3
WCHorn AS9100 and Sampling - ANSI ASQ Z1.4 C=0 Conflict AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
M Conflict between TS 16949 clauses 7.1.4 and 7.5.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
K Key Employees and Officers - How much conflict is tolerable? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
M ISO 14969 - Conflict in ISO 13485 - Measureable Objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R 5S Red Tag and ISO Procedure Red Tag - Tag Color Conflict Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Supplier Conflict Minerals Disclosure Information and Reporting Law RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 58
S Is being the QMS Representative and a Union Member a conflict? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J Traceabilty Conflict? Existing Inventory AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M IAF Technical Comittee meeting on AB/CB conflict General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Conflict with External Auditor in ISO 9001- Number of Fire extinguishers General Auditing Discussions 48
E Conflict? 2 Technical Managers identified (one for EMC, one for Reliability) ISO17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
ScottK Top QA Manager reporting to VP of Sales - Conflict? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
T Work Instructions - Conflict? Toyota's method for creating work instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C Fitted line plot and Regression : The final conflict Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2