Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House

Hello All,
(My first question on the Forum... thanks in advance for your patience)
I work for a small'ish company in the painful throes of growing from a very successful startup to a profitable device company.
As such, there currently exists the mashup of both Quality and Regulatory functions & responsibilities.
This is mostly cultural, of course, and no fault of anyone's.
However, I'm considering a grooming opportunity towards upper management and although I have solid Quality Assurance experience, I'm rather weak with Regulatory.
I envision at some point in the company's growth, a clear(er) delineation between QA and RA, and that may end up in my lap if I'm put on the fast track.
All that to ask this:
We currently use the same company for CE marking, QMS/ISO certification and IEC compliance testing.
This makes me uncomfortable for several reasons: It feels like a conflict of interest, it feels like too many eggs in one basket, it feels like this company has an undue influence over our internal QMS overall.
The problem I'm grappling with is that everything "feels" negative... but is it actually?
Any advice, observations and words of wisdom would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Some of the big companies offer all the services you reference, but they may be out of differing divisions or locations.

I would be comfortable with it but I'd keep an eye on the processes and see what potential for conflict may become evident.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
@normzone is spot on, they are generally independent divisions. It's *usually* the case that if, say, their test division did the IEC testing, the Technical File review for that part is pretty quick since they know what to expect and get it in an understood format; however, I've actually seen a case where the test shop messed up and the reviewer caught it (which was a major hit to the project as we had to re-do some testing). I've yet to see a case where I thought it looked shady.

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
It's *usually* the case that if, say, their test division did the IEC testing, the Technical File review for that part is pretty quick since they know what to expect
They often know the limitations of their own lab as well :)
Accredition bodies have an obligation to ensure that testing and certification are separate functions, and act as such.
There's no harm in looking at alternative test labs - if only to check the prices you're paying for the testing

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
J Lead Auditor and Quality Manager - Conflict of Interest? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
S Conflict of Interest in Business Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
R Quality Manager Reporting to Director of Manufacturing - Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
T Internal Conflict of Interest in Managing Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C Can we choose to not allow auditor back on site? Conflict of Interest? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
D Internal Auditing Resource Conflict of Interest Internal Auditing 8
M Quality Control Reporting to Manufacturing - Conflict of Interest Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
V ISO 9001 Consultant + Welding Inspector for Same Client - Conflict of interest? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna Does The Cove aid in conflict of interest? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
R Independent Auditor - Conflict of interest question Internal Auditing 19
H Can our QMS Consultant Perform Internal Audits on our behalf (Conflict of Interest)? Internal Auditing 69
D Waivers - Deviations - Responsibility -- Potential departmental conflict of interest? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q Auditing Procedures we Authored - Conflict of Interest? Internal Auditing 17
A Does auditor have conflict of interest? Should we ask for different auditor? Registrars and Notified Bodies 12
B Dual Role Question - Metrologist AND Quality Manager - Conflict of Interest? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
CarolX Integrity lost? Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000 'Keepers' Profit from their books Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 42
Jerry Eldred Many Hats - Responsibilities Conflict of Interest General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Marc ISO Conflict of Interest - Duh... (This is New???) Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
T Conflict Mineral Regulations Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Taking over Conflict Minerals responsibilities RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
S Conflict Minerals - Tin Suppliers CMRT Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
K EU MDR Rule 11 - Does the 'Risk logic' used in Rule 11 conflict with that used in the other rules? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
T Interview Question - Conflict between Production and Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 9
T When T&C's (Terms and Conditions) conflict with the ISO standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Wes Bucey Conflict Resolution (without bloodshed) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S FDA and Customs Label Conflict Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
Q Conflict Management - Systemic way to manage conflicts within Teams Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
F Quality Manager - Conflict of interests in organisational structure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Law restrictions in each country [REACH, CONFLICT MINERALS, Canada Gazette] RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
C How to handle this Inspection conflict? Second Shift Inspector? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P EU Conflict Minerals Regulation Interpretation RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
Q Conflict Minerals Reporting for Electronics Manufacturing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q Conflict Minerals - A question on Scope RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
B Conflict between department of MSA and Capability Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Conflict Minerals reporting template for PPAP approval APQP and PPAP 3
WCHorn AS9100 and Sampling - ANSI ASQ Z1.4 C=0 Conflict AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
M Conflict between TS 16949 clauses 7.1.4 and 7.5.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
K Key Employees and Officers - How much conflict is tolerable? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
M ISO 14969 - Conflict in ISO 13485 - Measureable Objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R 5S Red Tag and ISO Procedure Red Tag - Tag Color Conflict Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Supplier Conflict Minerals Disclosure Information and Reporting Law RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 58
S Is being the QMS Representative and a Union Member a conflict? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J Traceabilty Conflict? Existing Inventory AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M IAF Technical Comittee meeting on AB/CB conflict General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Conflict with External Auditor in ISO 9001- Number of Fire extinguishers General Auditing Discussions 48
E Conflict? 2 Technical Managers identified (one for EMC, one for Reliability) ISO17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
ScottK Top QA Manager reporting to VP of Sales - Conflict? Career and Occupation Discussions 2