Conflicting dimensions - Cable and wire industry and application of SPC

I

Isaberg

I work in the cable and wire industry and application of SPC seems to be somewhat hard. The automotive specs almost allways include requirements on minimum and average wall thickness plus minimum and maximum diameter of the insulation. The specs are not written by engineers taking into regard the fantastic possibility of SPC and Cpk's above 1.33 for all dimensions. According to my experience I have not yet seen a spec where these four dimensional requirements have not been conflicting with eachother, i.e when diameter can be held at Cpk > 1,33 either min or av wall thickness will be < 1.33. To satisfy the customer and mostly the assesor we have choosen diameter to be a characteristic to study. I would like to know if anyone else have any good solutions on this problem? Please don't tell me to discuss it with the responsible engineer writing the specs cause they just won't listen.

Isaberg

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Winton

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><BLOCKQUOTE>To satisfy the customer and mostly the assessor we have chosen diameter to be a characteristic to study.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></P>

As long as the customer is satisfied, you may be OK.

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><BLOCKQUOTE>I would like to know if anyone else have any good solutions on this problem?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></P>

I do not personally, but I may suggest something. Typically, you would choose, from among the available variables, key input variable(s). For example, if you identify wire diameter as key and wall thickness as secondary to the key variable, identify diameter as Cpk >1.33 while wall thickness as Cpk >1.00 (or whatever). The inverse could also be true.

Typically, when conflicting dimensions exist, it is better to grade the requirements against criticality.

Regards,
Don

------------------
Just the ramblings of an Old Wizard Warrior.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Conflicting dimensions on customer print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
M Measuring FIM (TIR) - Two inside diameters - Conflicting readings between inspectors Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H IEC 60601-2-24 & ISO 8536-8 - Conflicting Requirements? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A FD&C dueling banjos (conflicting section numbers) Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
N ISO 29001/API Q1 and ISO 9001 Analysis - Conflicting Information Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
D Exclusions and Conflicting Quality Manuals between Plants and Divisons Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 10
A Conflicting ppm rates - Customer requires 0 ppm - Suppliers work to 50 ppm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
Phil P Conflicting tolerances on the component pitch - ASME Y14.5M - 1994 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
D Requirements for the dimensions / color of medical device labels - Software as a Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
E Layouts : Can you "verify" things that are not visible (such as loctite present, internal dimensions) in a layout ? APQP and PPAP 2
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P True Position vs X and Y Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
A Trimming the Inspection Report - Deciding which are the CTF dimensions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
E Print only has Reference Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S How to Statistically Prove 2 Dimensions are Related Using Minitab Software 18
W GR&R (two dimensions on a shaft) with few parts and only 2 operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T How to report Basic Dimensions on a Dimensional Report (ISIR) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S SPC Card for One Sample Size - Customer requires for all critical dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Basic Dimensions on Machining Prints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O Metrology Devices to Measure the Basic Dimensions of Plastic Specimens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S TS16949 - 8.2.3.1 - Processes for Key and Critical Characteristic Dimensions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V The Purpose of Basic Dimensions on Prints APQP and PPAP 6
T Variable Dimensions / Part of Production / PPAP Dimensional Report Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
M How to calculate dimensions of trapezoid ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M TS 16949 Cpk requirements for Non-Critical Dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S What is Cc? Capability Study on Key Critical Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
C Missing Dimensions on the 2D drawings - FAI and 3D Models Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Q Reference Card for Dimensions at QC on the Shop Floor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
V What are Basic Dimensions about and why are they considered basic? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
QMMike Are Reference Dimensions denoted on a Drawing differently in China? APQP and PPAP 7
V Note Change to Print - Do I need dimensions results? APQP and PPAP 1
Q Requirement for All Dimensions on the Print on the Control Plan submitted with PPAP APQP and PPAP 19
J Definition Standards for Dimensions and Surface Finish on a Rod Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
Mr.Happy Should all Drawing Dimensions be in the FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 5
J No Critical Dimensions listed in a Upper Legend Block APQP and PPAP 1
S Dimensions apply before or after Coatings? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S 8 Dimensions of Product Quality according to Garvin Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
T Dimensions Before or After Coating? Drawing states ASME Y14.100 and Y14.5 apply Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Process Capability on Basic Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
P (Acme) 29deg stub thread 9TPI - Thread dimensions & tolerancing and root dimension General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
I Lot to Lot Comparison of Specific Part Dimensions Over Time - SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
O Can I Summarize Cp and Cpk of all Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
N Minimal Dimensions on Blueprints and a 3D Model Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M TS 16949 Sampling Plan Information - List the specific dimensions for each piece? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Gage R&R Studies - Part that has 10-20 critical dimensions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Stijloor Experience with DDI (Development Dimensions Int'l)? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
R Holding Dimensions Before or After Painting? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6