SBS - The best value in QMS software

Conformity of 1 batch vs other

We suspect that one of our batch is impacted by a drying problem in the production line. We would like to verify if the residual humidity of this batch is similar to others batches (not significantly higher than their humidity level). I am thinking about 2 options:
  • The first option is to use the actual control chart established by historical batches for continuous process validation. We will conclude that our batch is not impacted if the its value falls within the control limits. In that case, only 5 units will be measured for the batch (each point of the actual CC is the average value of 5 random units of a batch).
  • The second option is to build a new control chart from this batch by using 30 random units for example. Based on the control limits of this chart, I can check if the Out-of-spec risk is low or not.
From your point of view, which option is better? Do you have any recommendations? Feel free to ask if you need more details.
Thanks.
S

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
We suspect that one of our batch is impacted by a drying problem in the production line. We would like to verify if the residual humidity of this batch is similar to others batches (not significantly higher than their humidity level). I am thinking about 2 options:
  • The first option is to use the actual control chart established by historical batches for continuous process validation. We will conclude that our batch is not impacted if the its value falls within the control limits. In that case, only 5 units will be measured for the batch (each point of the actual CC is the average value of 5 random units of a batch).
  • The second option is to build a new control chart from this batch by using 30 random units for example. Based on the control limits of this chart, I can check if the Out-of-spec risk is low or not.
From your point of view, which option is better? Do you have any recommendations? Feel free to ask if you need more details.
Thanks.
S
Hello statistiques1992,

I think SPC charts would be a good approach but one should be done for each line or the data points will not represent the same process: equipment and perhaps people are different, even if everything else is the same.

If you suspect a loss of control, I would not support random sampling because sampling should only be used after a process is in control. In fact, industry experts don't recommend the usual SPC methods for chemical manufacturing.

I hope this helps!

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
There are two ways (I can think of) a drying problem might manifest itself. All parts that go thru the dryer are dried to a higher or lower value of residual humidity, and you would look for this to appear as a shift in the average humidity of the batch. The second problem could be some parts in the batch are dried more than other parts in the batch. The change from usual results might not be noticed in average humidity, but might cause subgroups out of limits in a control chart. If you are evaluating whether location is a factor in the dryness of parts in the dryer (assuming the parts have not yet been tumbled and randomized!) you would not choose random samples, but subgroups from top, bottom, inlet, corners, etc of the dryer vessel. Obviously, I don't know which problem is more likely to happen, but if you collect data from stratified samples, you can always combine data to calculate an overall average.

Hello statistiques1992,

I think SPC charts would be a good approach but one should be done for each line or the data points will not represent the same process: equipment and perhaps people are different, even if everything else is the same.

If you suspect a loss of control, I would not support random sampling because sampling should only be used after a process is in control. In fact, industry experts don't recommend the usual SPC methods for chemical manufacturing.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for sharing the articles, I do agree with you that random sampling is not a good choice, since we suspect a loss of control in our process.
Also, I understand that it would be a better approach using a multivariate SPC, but in my case I have only 1 variable which is residual humidity.

There are two ways (I can think of) a drying problem might manifest itself. All parts that go thru the dryer are dried to a higher or lower value of residual humidity, and you would look for this to appear as a shift in the average humidity of the batch. The second problem could be some parts in the batch are dried more than other parts in the batch. The change from usual results might not be noticed in average humidity, but might cause subgroups out of limits in a control chart. If you are evaluating whether location is a factor in the dryness of parts in the dryer (assuming the parts have not yet been tumbled and randomized!) you would not choose random samples, but subgroups from top, bottom, inlet, corners, etc of the dryer vessel. Obviously, I don't know which problem is more likely to happen, but if you collect data from stratified samples, you can always combine data to calculate an overall average.
Thanks John, yes I think it would be a nice idea to verify the results from different locations. In that case, how can I determine the number of units to be tested for each subgroup? Suppose that I have 3 locations in the dryer, should I do 3 control charts with n=30 or there are some specific control charts which allow to combine all the subgroups ?

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
The reason for 30 subgroups in a x-bar/s chart is to establish a stable baseline for SPC calculation of control limits. The question you asked, is this one batch within the interval we expect based on our baseline from the same process, you don't need 30 samples from this one batch to answer that question. You can answer that question with one subgroup, as long as the parts in the one sample are representative of the question you are trying to answer.

If your SPC chart is based on randomly sampled parts, or all samples taken off the top, be aware what you are doing if you compare subgroups using a radically different sampling strategy. That might be apples and oranges. Any difference you see should be confirmed comparing apples and apples.

The second question I posed, the question of variation between different locations within the dryer, I was actually thinking of a Multivari chart as the preferred multi-factor graphical tool for problem-solving. Multivari highlights patterns and contrasts of various samples, and is very flexible and intuitive, but is not as statistically rigorous as SPC. Multivari does not give a yes-no answer, but it can uncover factors and relationships that were previously unrecognized (like, perhaps, non-uniform dryness in your dryer).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
CharlieUK Informational ADCO MED EU DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY TEMPLATE CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Aymaneh Traditional 510(k) Declaration of Conformity Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
H Pedicle screw system Conformity Assessment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
M Referencing Harmonised Standards in Declarations of Conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
L MDR 745 - EU Declaration of Conformity - Signature Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A EC declaration of conformity - In the event clients ask for a copy CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDADraft Guidance – Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Content of Declaration of conformity (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
qualprod Non conformity, do nothing? Employee experiencing "hard times" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Declaration of Conformity for Product from Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational TGA – Guidance on Therapeutic Goods (Conformity Assessment Standard for Quality Management Systems) Order 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
chris1price MDR Conformity Assessment for a Class 2a device - Production Quality Assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Connection between Technical File and Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S EU conformity assessment - Certify to MDD or MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Class II Medical Device Conformity Assessment Route according to Annex V only CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
I Who is responsible for signing the Declaration of Conformity and what is their liability Imported Legacy Blogs 0
J Medical Devices in Japan - Conformity of QMS to ISO 13485 Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
S Conformity vs. 8130-3 tag creation date Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
D Root Cause on Non-Conformity Against Quality Manual Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
S Conformity assessment routes in MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Signatures on C of Cs (Certificate of Conformity) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
D Determining Critical Components for conformity with IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 21
H Meaning of Annex II, excluding point Clause 4 conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A Certificate of release/certificate of conformity/certificate of compliance Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
T ER Checklist - Method(s) of conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
A IATF 16949 - Non-conformity on 5.1.1.2 Process effectiveness and efficiency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B IATF 16949: Definition Major/Minor Non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E Non Conformity due to Outsourced Internal Audit Error ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
J Non-Conformity Overreach - We recently switched our EU Authorized Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Non-Conformity Report from Notified Body - MEDDEV Guide is not Legally Binding EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Q ISO 9001:2015 Sec 9.3.2 IATF 9.3.2.1 - Process Performance and Conformity of Products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Can the CE Mark Cert be used as Proof of Sterilization Conformity? Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
F Declaration of Conformity with Electrical & Electronic Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Conformity Charts - IFU Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A 93/42/EEC Declaration of Conformity and Harmonized Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 12
N How to fill out Form 3654 for Material Conformity 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K DoC (Declaration of Conformity) for Custom Made Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B CISPR 11 - Assessment of Conformity Other Medical Device Related Standards 4