Confused about application of ISO 13485 - Manufacturer of Medical Equipment & Device

J

Jshene

I have been researching ISO 13485 and planning to implement a quality managment system for the company I am working for and I'm a bit confused, or I am just think way to far into this. We are a manufacturer of medical equipment and also medical devices. My question is would all of the clauses under ISO 13485 apply to the equipment as well or just the medical devices produced? I thought the idea of a QMS was to have one unified system not just following procedures for one asspect of the company... Please help!! I'm stressing thankfully we have a long weekend :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Confused

I have been researching ISO 13485 and planning to implement a quality managment system for the company I am working for and I'm a bit confused, or I am just think way to far into this. We are a manufacturer of medical equipment and also medical devices. My question is would all of the clauses under ISO 13485 apply to the equipment as well or just the medical devices produced? I thought the idea of a QMS was to have one unified system not just following procedures for one asspect of the company... Please help!! I'm stressing thankfully we have a long weekend :)

Do you ONLY make medical device products? If so there is no reason to not include all processes as required by the standard. You don't register a device to the standard... that's what the FDA is for. You register your processes to the standard and who cares how many devices you make.

That being said, I've worked at a company where there were multiple business units at one site and only one was ISO 13485 registered... but we had to make sure that everything was clearly segregated.
For example: if there is a machine used for all businesses - it had to be controlled per the QMS. If there was a machine that wasn't used for the device business then we excluded it from the QMS and we were NEVER to use if for QMS business.
Since the same ERP system was used for all business units, it had to meet QMS requirements
But there were different contract review processes, so only the device process had to meet QMS requirements.

It was not easy and there was lots of room for sloppiness.

J

Jshene

Re: Confused about application of ISO 13485

We make suture attaching machines which are not considered a medical device. This device is used to marry needles with sutures.

But we also make needles that are a componet of an unfinished process. Pretty much we drill the needle point it and then send it off to its next operation. What I am wondering is if the machine shop and all of those operations should be included in the QMS?

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Confused about application of ISO 13485 - Manufacturer of Medical Equipment and D

ISO 13485:2003 is the quality management system for medical devices.
If you are making components that get assembled in medical devices, you should implement an ISO 9001:2008 quality management system.

You have to determine the scope of the certificate and that may determine whether the machine shop is part of the QMS or not.

Ronen E

Problem Solver

We make suture attaching machines which are not considered a medical device. This device is used to marry needles with sutures.

But we also make needles that are a componet of an unfinished process. Pretty much we drill the needle point it and then send it off to its next operation. What I am wondering is if the machine shop and all of those operations should be included in the QMS?
If you don't make finished medical devices then ISO 13485 should not be your first choice for a QMS standard. The qualifier "medical" in all other contexts is irrelevant in that respect. You are obviously in the medical industry, but that doesn't mean ISO 13485 is for you. The only exception I can see to this is an important customer (important to you in the business sense) that requires you to have an ISO 13485 certificate in order to do business with them; however, that would be a business decision, not a regulatory one, and I would still recommend trying to negotiate such requirement because implementing ISO 13485 in a non-finished-medical-device manufacturing business doesn't make a lot of sense.

Have a convenient mix in your scope to direct ISO13485 to medical devices and IS09001 to other like machinery / equipment. Here the ISO13485 definition of "Medical device" will be very handy. Business requirement from your customer to qualify for ISO13485 for devices / parts of final device that you make does have a very strong bearing.
As you go about, if you are not regulatory responsible, your ISO13485 pretty much runs close to ISO9001.
Get two birds with one stone ... 9001 & 13485.

Re: Confused about application of ISO 13485 - Manufacturer of Medical Equipment & Dev

Looks like your organization is based in US. You may have to consider 21 CFR Part 820.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Re: Confused about application of ISO 13485 - Manufacturer of Medical Equipment & Dev

Looks like your organization is based in US. You may have to consider 21 CFR Part 820.
Only if they make finished medical devices, or accessories to such, or their customer so requires (and they dear it enough). Pretty much like ISO 13485.

J

Jshene

Thanks everyone! I am still very new to ISO and this website/forum has been very helpful to me. I appreciate the responses :thanks:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Essential performance, accompanying documents....confused IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Software as risk control - Confused on one aspect of IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 20
E European Weld Callouts - Confused with the "/C" and the "a2" portions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
R Still confused on OPRP and CCP in an ISO 22000 Catering Business Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
S Pressure from Directors - confused! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R ISO 9001 Implementation in the Bus/Coach Industry - Confused and Help needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Confused about Document Levels and Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T TS 16949 Process Audit Help - Confused Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
K So confused with AQL - How does AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) fit with my company AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
N ISO 9001 Implementation - I am still confused on where to start ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Certification Audit - Confused Newbie Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
T Confused on Work Instruction Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Confused with 7.4 Purchasing - We provide a "service" which is our "product" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Confused about Writing Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Gage R&R Spreadsheet Results - Confused as to what the results mean Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 28
B IEC 60601-1: EMC problems: Confused about 915MHz ISM band in Europe IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Q Confused: IEC 60601-1-2:YYYY and Required Compliance Dates IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Confused: Accreditation / Certification? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
K An MR (Management Representative) who's as confused as he* Career and Occupation Discussions 14
M Confused about Control Plan and PFMEA Retention Period Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Developing a PFMEA - Confused about Potential Failure modes FMEA and Control Plans 7
H Confused over the notion of "offline (engineering) analysis" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
I Confused on PPAP re-submission - Help on PSW (Part Submission Warrant) APQP and PPAP 3
T Confused by chapter numbering scheme in new standard (IEC EN-60601-2-37:2007) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
C CAP for Medical Device Class Is product - Slightly confused - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Confused - Medical Device Reports and Corrections/Removals 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Wes Bucey FWIW: FDA confused? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Confused about measurement of software - Section 7.6 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
WCHorn ISO/IEC 17025 Registrars - I'm confused about "accredited" registrars for ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 18
M Predictive Maintenance - Confused about what can be considered predictive maintenance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
W Confused under what ISO 9001 clause would I place my Quality Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Totally confused over changes to issue numbers - Quality & procedures manuals Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
J Confused about Calibration Tolerances of Plug Gauge, Ring Gauge & Snap Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S PPM vs. DPMO - Confused on how to use Six Sigma 2
A Still Confused About "Controlling Suppliers Records" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Confused about the machine capability index Cmk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
C Confused with Regression Analysis - What about the P-value? Six Sigma 2
B I am confused, which Cmk value should I take and use? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
N Confused by calibration concepts - Seeking help with the basics General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Confused about registration scope - Engine accessories supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Level 1, Level 2 Very Confused ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D Confused over product=service=transport Service Industry Specific Topics 2
S Confused about the TS 16949 Deadline - Presumably a Big 3 mandate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Strategies for Going In Blind - My employer is probably confused why I'm here Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
W I'm confused about the term 'processes' in the revised (2000) ISO 9001 standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Marc NIST Traceability Numbers - Confused Yet? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D GR&R for Torque application Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Has the facility been inspected? question in Certificate to Foreign Government application Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Cats Clause ISO 9001:2015 7.1.5 Monitoring and measuring resources: Application to training providers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Can you import medical device not FDA approved into the USA under an IND application? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2