Confusing on Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker test for CISPR 11 Class A Equipment

Hi Everyone,

I am confusing on weather Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker applies to a CISPR 11 Class A Equipment or not. According to the CISPR 11, Class A equipment is equipment NOT used in domestic establishments and NOT in establishments directly connected to a low voltage power supply network which supplies buildings used for domestic purposes.

According to IEC 61000-3-2 and IEC 61000-3-3, these two both apply to equipment rated <=16A and CONNECTED TO THE PUBLIC LOW VOLTAGE SUPPLY SYSTEMS, which means it only applies to CISPR 11 Class B equipment.

But when I checked with many medical equipment IFUs, I found that even for CISPR 11 Class A equipment, they do not mark "not applicable" in the harmonic emissions and voltage fluctuations/flicker emissions line in the Guidance and manufacturer's declaration - electromagnetic emission table. Can anybody help to explain why?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
1602046435233.png
1602046445183.png
1602046459946.png

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator
Looks like you might be confusing "public" and "domestic".

"Public" is a broad area includes business, hospitals, clinics as well as domestic (normal house). Pretty much everything except a private system not connected to the supply network.

"Domestic" is non-business only, i.e. households.

Class B has stricter limits as a house is more likely to be located far away from signal towers. This means the strength of the "good" signals (phones, radio, TV etc) is likely to be weaker, so the interference from electrical devices needs to be quieter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Preventive Action - confusing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Gage R&R Minitab 'crossed' confusing results Using Minitab Software 3
B Flatness Call Out confusing me - What they are wanting and how to check it? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 42
T A confusing Non-conformity - No defined QMS processes intended for 'Management' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
H TS 16949 - What I find confusing are the chapters headed ".... supplemental" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
N FDA Requirements for Animal Laboratory Testing (Harmonic Scalpel) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Marc GM says no more tailpipe emissions by 2035, carbon neutrality by 2040 World News 45
D GHG Emissions - Can a Prevention is better than Cure strategy help Imported Legacy Blogs 4
D VOC (Volatile organic compound) Emissions Testing Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
O Significant Environmental Aspect - Emissions to the Air (injection molding process) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
A New ISO standard to address greenhouse gas emissions - ISO 14065:2007 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
J MD Directive vs EMC Directive - Totally excluded (for both emissions and immunity)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1